Quantcast
Drove an Audi RS6 today - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drove an Audi RS6 today

I agree with Rage.. the lighter, 380hp version of the M5 would be a great thing. I've been a little upset with BMWs 'bigger=better' strategy with the M division. To be honest, my favorite BMWs are the E30 series M3s. They are light, exotic, quick, tossable and a ton of fun. They don't have 500hp, and they don't have every electronic gizmo known to man, and sure aren't luxury cars, but I have never had more fun in a car.

Then again, the same thing can be said for the Porsche 911. The new 911s feel like and behave like luxury cars (damn fast luxury cars, but luxury cars). Aside from the GT2, it is almost impossible to get in trouble in one. For anyone that has driven an old 911, there is some serious tweaking going on with the DNA.

Anyone else miss the 'true' sportscar? I think the closest thing to this formula today is probably the Lotus Elise. I saw one at E3, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to ride in/drive one. Man those cars look great.

Another car that I definately have my eye on is the Mini Cooper S. Fast, fun and incredibly agile. Kinda dorky looking though.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

My car is no sports car, nor fast, but It was built in a time when preople really wanted the feel of solid sure footed handling and at a reasonable price. Something about cars from that area and era...I dont care what anyone says about my car, its really fun to drive...
    Travel

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Everybody always seem to think I'm insane when I say there are no "true" sports cars left. Finally someone else who agrees with me I was born about 30 years too late. I long for the days when sports cars were all about a pure driving experience. Maybe not the most powerful motors, but hard core suspensions tuned for hard use, fast and responsive steering, and most of all light. Most of the companies that used to produce the equipment of this nature (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Porsche, but to name a few) seem to be more interested in building GTs than sports cars any more. There's a reason why the miata does so well for sales, and its because its one of the closest cars you can get to a "classic" sports car now a days, that won't cost you $30k in restoration (or $30k extra on the price tag for someone else to restore it for you)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by E36M3
    Then again, the same thing can be said for the Porsche 911. The new 911s feel like and behave like luxury cars (damn fast luxury cars, but luxury cars). Aside from the GT2, it is almost impossible to get in trouble in one. For anyone that has driven an old 911, there is some serious tweaking going on with the DNA.
    Finally, someone that understands!!! When I can afford (and justify) it, I'll probably buy a 964 Turbo 3.6, the last of the true 911's. Learn how to REALLY drive by taking one of those to the limits on a roadcourse.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2

Finally, someone that understands!!! When I can afford (and justify) it, I'll probably buy a 964 Turbo 3.6, the last of the true 911's. Learn how to REALLY drive by taking one of those to the limits on a roadcourse.
    Planning on spending a lot of time backwards in the dry swamp are we?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    Planning on spending a lot of time backwards in the dry swamp are we?
    I'm not THAT shitty a driver am I?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2

I'm not THAT shitty a driver am I?
    No, but the older 911's are notoriously twitchy cars at the limit

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    No, but the older 911's are notoriously twitchy cars at the limit
    Yea, I've driven a few, that's why I want one... to master one of those cars, something I've always wanted to do.

My Ride
    BMW

That's what I like to hear!!!
    Yes, it's true the sports cars nowadays are more tuned for luxury than true performance. Sure, the performance is there, but they are still overly concerned with a luxurious drive (to appease the rich and unskilled). Myself, being a poor soul (not a high roller like Rage or E36M3), I've been very specific in deciding which cars I would buy/drive. To memory, the funnest experience I've had was in my '86 MR2. That car is truely the Poor Man's Sportscar!
    I've also driven the 92+ MR2s, and those are great too!
    Where else are you going to find a mid-engine, rear-drive, 2-seater, very-tunable machine for under $20,000??
    I was actually looking into buying one this year, but the g/f persuaded me otherwise. I really like the E36 BMW I got because it's a great luxury/performance package. (I LOVE the fact that BMW made proper pedals for toe-heel shifting). The only thing I gripe about is the LACK of SIDE BOLSTER support and that dumb-ass FOUR-spoke steering wheel! 4-spoke steering wheels suck ASS!!! Even Porsche has figured this out and have made all the new 911's with 3-spokes (new Airbag technology, no doubt).

Originally posted by Big_Six_Boy
    That's what I like to hear!!!
    Yes, it's true the sports cars nowadays are more tuned for luxury than true performance. Sure, the performance is there, but they are still overly concerned with a luxurious drive (to appease the rich and unskilled).
    I don't think that there is any question about the performance being there.. a new 911 will run rings over almost any Porsche ever made. In fact, a Boxster S will destroy virtually any 911 ever made on a track, including probably all of the 993s save the Turbos.

I totally understand what you mean though. Faster doesn't necessarily mean better. Low weight + sufficient power + great handling is a sure fire formula for a car you can truly enjoy.

I really like the E36 BMW I got because it's a great luxury/performance package. (I LOVE the fact that BMW made proper pedals for toe-heel shifting). The only thing I gripe about is the LACK of SIDE BOLSTER support and that dumb-ass FOUR-spoke steering wheel! 4-spoke steering wheels suck ASS!!! Even Porsche has figured this out and have made all the new 911's with 3-spokes (new Airbag technology, no doubt).
    To deal with these and other grievances, BMW released the E36 M3. If the 'Vader' seats don't have enough bolstering for you, it is probably time for a formula car. As well, you can get all kinds of steering wheels, including very enthusiast friendly layouts.

I go out driving quite often with a couple friends with various german machinery, and it seems the newer they are, the more insulated they are from the actual joy of driving. The S4, for example, is fast, competent and an overall great car, but it is way too quiet and you almost miss the experience of going fast. I won't even get into the floaty suspension.. brings back memories of my dad's 1992 Pontiac Bonneville.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2