Quantcast
Drove an Audi RS6 today - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drove an Audi RS6 today

Default Drove an Audi RS6 today

As a perk of working in the automotive industry, I sometimes stumble upon 'press fleet' vehicles for brief test drives. Today was definately one to remember. I was lucky enough to get the keys to (what I've been told is) the first Audi RS6 in North America. For those who don't know, it is a 450hp monster, barely distinguisable from an Audi A6 4.2 visually.

Built by the quattro Division of Audi (which was started recently in response to BMWs M group and Mercedes AMG division) the RS6 certainly gives the M5/E55 a ride for the money.

Brakes:

Brembo 8 piston, feel like the hand of God. I've got big Brembos on my car, and these ones feel equally as solid. The brake assist is perfect.

Handling:

More E55 than M5, it is agile, smooth and fast through corners. I obviously didn't have the opportunity to take it on a track, but it handled high speed sweepers VERY nicely.

Acceleration:

Fast as hell. I think that it is definately faster than the M5/E55. I haven't driven an E55, but it definately *felt* faster than an M5. I think that it could easily bury my M3 in most acceleration tests. I had heard that we should expect 0-60 times in the 5.0 second range, and I think they've done it. (With I had a GTech Pro)

Comfort:

Audi/VW has recently become what I think is the number one manufacturer in terms of fit/finish quality. I would definately say that the fit/finish is far better than most Benzes (save I would imagine the Maybach) and definately a step above current BMW 7s). The seats were wonderful, and the interior was really nice. Didn't have a chance to play with all the toys, but it has a barely adequate stereo (as do most expensive cars) and feels very german. Automatics piss me off, but the paddle shifter-type setup on the steering wheel was nice.

Like the E55, this car does not *need* a manual transmission, but it would sure be nice.

Anyway, look for complete reviews in the Car Magazines this month. The car recently debuted in Germany, but it has been confirmed for North America, and should be one hell of a barn stormer. Not sure if it is coming to Canada, but it would be one hell of an all-year-long supercar for Calgary

My Ride
    05 Chrysler 300

sounds like a killer car man,,, u are 1 luckey dude

guy.........wow. its like an allroad but with some nuts the size of cantalopes
    http://www.sfu.ca/~joh/teg/fastlane.gif

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Default Re: Drove an Audi RS6 today

Originally posted by E36M3

Comfort:

Audi/VW has recently become what I think is the number one manufacturer in terms of fit/finish quality. I would definately say that the fit/finish is far better than most Benzes (save I would imagine the Maybach) and definately a step above current BMW 7s).
    Like the E55, this car does not *need* a manual transmission, but it would sure be nice.
    That's what I like to hear!!

LOL

Peace

Peter

he meant Audi not Volks

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Volkswagen is Audi dude!

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

and vice-versa...

Same goes with Porsche!

Peter

i know im just buggin you dub fiend heh

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

HEHEHEHE... I love them` dubs!

Peter

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Damn nice to hear unbiased findings about your experience, being you own a BMW and all!

For the longest time I have idolized the RS4 and this RS6 sounds and looks meaner than ever!

Thats such an incredible car.
    Travel

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Audi Kid
    guy.........wow. its like an allroad but with some nuts the size of cantalopes

Pending on the Model he drove.

The Alroad is based on the Avant Body Design, which is a fancy name for wagon.

He could have either drove the RS6 which is just a really horiffically mean sedan, or the RS6 Avant which is the wagon.

The RS6 has offically been deemed the fastest sedan on the planet, taking over BMW's very healthy position, coveted by the elusive M5.

I have some official info on them here:

Powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.2-litre V8 engine with 450bhp, refined by a new adaptive Dynamic Ride Control system and safely contained by quattro four-wheel-drive, the new Audi RS 6 quattro will combine rapidity with responsibility. The 0-62mph sprint can be covered in just 4.7 seconds (Avant 4.9 seconds), and 124mph can be achieved in an even more impressive 17.6 seconds (Avant 17.8 seconds). Top speed is electronically limited to 155mph.

The new Audi RS 6 quattro also features an unprecedented level of standard equipment. An Alcantara headlining and either carbon fibre or wood trim complement heated and leather upholstered Recaro sports seats, from which occupants can control a premium quality Bose sound system with CD autochanger and a standard fit satellite navigation system incorporating a television. Formula 1-style shift controls mounted on the perforated leather sports steering wheel allow the driver rapid access to the five ‘manual’ gears offered by the standard five-speed tiptronic automatic transmission, and parking is simplified by the standard front and rear Acoustic Parking System.

The only high performance saloon and estate models in their class to offer the major safety advantage of quattro four-wheel-drive have entered new realms of ride comfort and handling composure thanks to Dynamic Ride Control. The electronically governed, mechanical damping system monitors road conditions and cornering forces and continually adjusts the suspension characteristics to maintain exceptional balance in all situations, whilst maintaining a supple ride.

This outstanding control extends to braking, which is handled by race-honed, 8-piston front ventilated discs and single piston ventilated rear discs, backed by ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD).

Last edited by Ben; 07-12-2002 at 08:34 PM.
    Travel

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Where's that drooling smiley when you need it?

I love that car. Did you take any pics. I know I've read up on it in the mags but when you actually see it in real life you appreciate it more. On one of the Gunball 3000 vids you see it up clost and driving, soo nice...

Peace