Quantcast
Subaru maintanence cost - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subaru maintanence cost

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Default Subaru maintanence cost

Hey guys, looking into maybe buying a subaru. are they a hell of alot to maintain because of the boxer(right?) engine style? are they hard to work on at home?

im moew ao looking into a gc8 than the newer styles. thanks for the input guys!

My Ride
    01 Impreza 2.5RS and 05 LGT

I dont think that they are terribly expensive cars to maintain. I have had mine since 2001 (90k+ kms) and aside from the regular maintenance like oil and belts and whatnot I have only had two problems with the car. I had to have a tube seal changed (not that big of a job really) and may MAP sensor replaced.

I find the boxer engine easier to work with (except for sparkplug changes) and if you get a GC you will have a ton of room under your hood (especially once you remove your snorkus).

When I look at the cost to maintain other cars (*caugh* DSM *caugh*) I am happy i bought my suby.

[SIZE=4.5]AWD BURNOUT![/size]

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Impreza OBS

I've owned 2 Subaru Impreza hatchbacks, both Outback Sport models. I'd have liked to go up to a WRX but fuel economy is a bit worse on the turbo models. Both cars were fun to drive with the manual transmission. Getting an automatic is basically robbing these cars of fun and power control factors. All Wheel Drive on the Subaru's is fantastic for winter driving, compared to my previous car which was rear wheel drive.

Maintenance costs are not that bad from my experience so far. I owned the 2003 model for a year and basically had just oil changes to worry about. Same goes for the 2005 that I got last year. I don't know if it's my insanely high expectations, but I don't get great feelings regarding either of the subaru dealerships service centers here in town. I think that in a city the size of Calgary that there would be at least one more dealer sanctioned shop to get any warranty repairs done. Parts for Subarus from my experience on the 2003 did take a little bit of time to arrive but nothing insane like 6 months or something like that. Same goes for the 2005, which so far I've only had to wait a week to get an armrest extension and some differential protector plates. After market availability of shop manuals for Subarus looks to be non-existant for the Imprezas which really annoys me as I like to do basic maintenance myself. Another item is it seems though the paint on Subarus has gotten a bit thinner, in that they seem to be a lot more sucseptible to chips from the Calgary gravel used in the winter, or from rocks on the highway.

Forgot to add: Is it really that hard to change the spark plugs? I think on the drivers side it looks a bit tight but after pulling the air filter box and pipes there looks to be plenty of room on the passenger side of the car?

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

Depends. I have a gc8. Maintenance is ok if you dont drive it hard and it's stock. Stuff still fails. If you plan on modding of any sort outside of the basic bolt ons you will pay a lot of money. i have spent probably a whole year after work and on the weekends in the garage working on the car, but that is my own perogative

To be honest I found subie parts to be expensive. I just bought a timing belt for a whopping 200 bux gaskets for 40 bux etc...

My Lexus is about the same in in terms of cost for parts just to give you an idea (it's less maintenance tho). either way you gotta pay to play

My Ride

Originally posted by SiOBS

Forgot to add: Is it really that hard to change the spark plugs? I think on the drivers side it looks a bit tight but after pulling the air filter box and pipes there looks to be plenty of room on the passenger side of the car?
    I dont think that the sparkplugs are hard to change... just more difficult on a boxer engine than say an inline four.

Parts are expensive if you go through the stealerships but if you order from www.genuinesubaruparts.com they are fairly cheap. I even had allmakes inquire as to where i got myy oem parts so cheap (bonus: they are prolly going to be getting parts from them as well now)

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Impreza OBS

Originally posted by Fuji
    Depends. I have a gc8. Maintenance is ok if you dont drive it hard and it's stock. Stuff still fails. If you plan on modding of any sort outside of the basic bolt ons you will pay a lot of money. i have spent probably a whole year after work and on the weekends in the garage working on the car, but that is my own perogative

To be honest I found subie parts to be expensive. I just bought a timing belt for a whopping 200 bux gaskets for 40 bux etc...

I don't think I'll be doing any extreme mods to it, and then not until warranties done on the car. Still have a couple yrs left on the warranty and the car's been just in for the usual regular maintenance. 200 for a piece of rubber is expensive though!

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Impreza OBS

Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
    I dont think that the sparkplugs are hard to change... just more difficult on a boxer engine than say an inline four.

Parts are expensive if you go through the stealerships but if you order from www.genuinesubaruparts.com they are fairly cheap. I even had allmakes inquire as to where i got myy oem parts so cheap (bonus: they are prolly going to be getting parts from them as well now)

Stealerships ... nice I'll have to check out that site.

Stupid question but who/what is allmakes?

My Ride

allmakes is a shop on 32ave NE that specializes in subarus. Good guys too.

My Ride
    750Li

i have an 05 imprezza

all i can say is do NOT do NOT take your car to Subaru on Macleod tr, they are horrible,untrained nonprofessionals

I got the java black paint, pearl black with a goldish "java" pearl, when installing the spoiler, they decided to install the black with midnight blue pearl

Picking up the car, I thankfully noticed it, and to top it off, the sales rep, and mechanic both began to advise me that its just the sun shining on it,

After about 15 minutes of pleading I finally had the sales manager come out, who did acknowledge it was the wrong color, and it only took 3 weeks to fix!

Now Jaguar Subaru on barlow by 16th....complete opposite... great customer service, immaculate mechanical service, car is washed and vaccumed everytime, even if its just a check up

NO lying salesmen talking to you like you are some ignorant uneducated moron

And finally as for buying a Subaru...... great cars, fun, easy to maintain, and extremly well built
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Impreza OBS

Originally posted by Def_3
    I got the java black paint, pearl black with a goldish "java" pearl, when installing the spoiler, they decided to install the black with midnight blue pearl

Picking up the car, I thankfully noticed it, and to top it off, the sales rep, and mechanic both began to advise me that its just the sun shining on it,

After about 15 minutes of pleading I finally had the sales manager come out, who did acknowledge it was the wrong color, and it only took 3 weeks to fix!
    Sounds just like when my '03 Outback Sport developed a leak. Took the car in 4 times asking them to keep it until they found the issue as I was working out of the country for a month, and said to pull the dash on the passenger side apart if need be. Needless to say the folks on Macleod could not locate the problem even with explicit steps to reproduce the problem. For some reason I could get the leak every time I tried. Eventually did it myself; took apart the dash on the right side, and found the leak was at the bottom of the windshield where the black seal had been worn or damaged, not sure how. Took it back with pictures and exact steps to fix. I wasn't thrilled and they didn't look like they were either... Guess I was too demanding...

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by SiOBS

Sounds just like when my '03 Outback Sport developed a leak. Took the car in 4 times asking them to keep it until they found the issue as I was working out of the country for a month, and said to pull the dash on the passenger side apart if need be. Needless to say the folks on Macleod could not locate the problem even with explicit steps to reproduce the problem. For some reason I could get the leak every time I tried. Eventually did it myself; took apart the dash on the right side, and found the leak was at the bottom of the windshield where the black seal had been worn or damaged, not sure how. Took it back with pictures and exact steps to fix. I wasn't thrilled and they didn't look like they were either... Guess I was too demanding...
    not surprising at all! I am amazed that Subaru allows such........I dont even know what to call them..people to represent them
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Since this has moved to dealership experiences I will give you my most recent.

About a month ago i was having a problem with my cars idle (is just turned out to be a blown MAP sensor and a reflash) so i brought it in to the dealership in the NE and they let me know that I had a tube seal leak. So i asked them how much it would be to fix it and they quoted me $650 for parts and $650 for labour. So i had them write out the parts they needed and i went to genuine subaruparts.com and priced out the EXACT same parts (all oem subaru parts) and with shipping, duty, exchange, etc... they came out to $250. Then I had All Makes do the work and they did the exact same service the dealership would have done in 6.5 hours in about 2. all said and done my service was $460 (which is a far cry form the $1300 the stealership quoted me).

Needless to say I dont think that I will be going to the dealerships in Calgary unless I absolutely have to.

Booo for Calgary subaru dealerships

My Ride
    FJC, S30

please guys, we do not need another thread about subaru stealerships lol.

i also find subarus are abit more $$ to keep maintained. but thats what we get for our awd cars.

just watch out for lemons or else your nightmares wont end.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

My parents have had 4 Subaru's, I got the oldest one.

They have a 02 WRX and a 02 H6 3.0 Outback. I have a 92 Legacy. I have NEVER had any major problems with it. Just replacing parts when they got worn out ie. Exhaust, brakes, etc...

It's never broken down on the road, never got stuck in the winter, even when going to the ski hills. Love the car.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Impreza OBS

Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
    Since this has moved to dealership experiences I will give you my most recent.

About a month ago i was having a problem with my cars idle (is just turned out to be a blown MAP sensor and a reflash) so i brought it in to the dealership in the NE and they let me know that I had a tube seal leak. So i asked them how much it would be to fix it and they quoted me $650 for parts and $650 for labour. So i had them write out the parts they needed and i went to genuine subaruparts.com and priced out the EXACT same parts (all oem subaru parts) and with shipping, duty, exchange, etc... they came out to $250. Then I had All Makes do the work and they did the exact same service the dealership would have done in 6.5 hours in about 2. all said and done my service was $460 (which is a far cry form the $1300 the stealership quoted me).

Needless to say I dont think that I will be going to the dealerships in Calgary unless I absolutely have to.

Booo for Calgary subaru dealerships
    holy crap! 460 vs 1300?!?! God I'm afraid I'm gonna get raped if I ever need to get something major done on my car at some future point, that needs to go through a dealership!

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
    please guys, we do not need another thread about subaru stealerships lol.

i also find subarus are abit more $$ to keep maintained. but thats what we get for our awd cars.

just watch out for lemons or else your nightmares wont end.
    I'll have to search out those other threads then! I just joined Beyond hmm well a week or so ago so still playing catch-up. I'd rather pay that little bit for quality and uniqueness if I'm getting something I enjoy more and well looks better than the domestics out there...
    Last edited by SiOBS; 07-01-2006 at 09:18 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

My family are pretty big Subaru fans too. My sister's 01 Impreza RS has around 85,000kms and the only thing she has done is just oil changes and tires. Going to get differentials/transmission fluid and coolant changed soon. She did have a CEL that Centaur took care off, but they scratched her interior lol so I agree with the not being careful or professional part.

My dad's 02 Forester XS is amazing. It has 150,000kms and aside from new brake pads, differentials, transmission fluid flushes, regular oil changes and new tires, it just keeps going and going.

I was so impressed that I had to get myself a new WRX recently. We'll see how that goes. My dad also plans to upgrade to a Forester Turbo soon to replace his 02.

I get all my fluid changes at Mr. Lube, I don't like dealerships.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ hey max, be careful of which oil filters they used. there are some defective subaru ones going around. thats if you dont know already.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    NC1

No I don't know? What's the deal behind this?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2015 Audi Q5 TDI

i heard some things about how mr.lube doens't even carry subaru filters sometimes and just puts in a "similar filter"

scary stuff
    -Vincent

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Some guys have had problems with the OEM filters, so.....

Like some of the guys here, I've had my '03 WRX since Oct. 2002 and have had no problems at all since new. Just regular maintenance work and a couple of recalls that were taken care of promptly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast