Quantcast
New sound system for the Subie - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New sound system for the Subie

My Ride
    2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Question New sound system for the Subie

As some of you might know, Subaru's sound system is bad, REALLY bad! I can stand it no longer so I am in the market for a new deck and speakers. I will not get a sub right now but will in the future. Unfortunately I know little about decks and speakers. Apline seems to be the deck of choice here but where does one go to get it? I got my alarm done at Future Shop (thanks John) and had planned to go there or to Derdall Designs, which seems to be going through a change right now and are a little hard to get a hold of. I have the patients of a gnat and once I decide, I go and get it that day.

So, I've looked at the JVC KD-SH1000 and the Pioneer DEH-7800MP. Price is not really an obsticle but I did want to keep the deck under $600 if possible (not including install). I am looking at the Infinity line of speakers. I am looking at the JVC line only because of the USB interface, assuming it can handle my iPod shuffle. If it can't, I'm not really interested.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions? Good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

JVC = Junk, Very Cheap. It's loaded with 'features' to compensate for the poor quality in manufacturing. I'd stay away. Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Clarion Pro Auio, higher end Kenwood would be the way I'd go.

For speakers, JL Audio TR or VR series for sound quality if you're not going to amplify them. Be warned these aren't super bassy but have lots of mid tone and a nice hgh end. You have sub for bass, not speakers.

For the sub, a nice 10" in a selaed box for a bit of punch but not to overweigh the rest of your set-up. Again, JL for the win, but there are other choices. Plus a 10W1 does not require a monster amp for good sound.

Remember balance is the key, you don't need to go huge to sound good. You could probably do the system above for $1200-1500

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Go to Audio Concepts Mobile on 32nd ave NE and talk to Jeff or Chris, they will definately set you up with something more then adequate.

For $600 or less you can get a really nice deck. Personally I would go with an Eclipse deck, will definately be the best sounding. And there are plenty of speakers to choose from.

In my opinion, there is no way your going to tell a sound quality difference between two decks. Alpine and Eclipse make some really good decks. I would reccomend CDT speakers, but they take 180watts RMS and NEED to be amplified, if not, Infinity Kappa's all they way - they will blow away the same priced competition and will sound even better amplified later on.

Mark

My Ride
    91 Nissan 240sx

Alpine decks ftw!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: New sound system for the Subie

Originally posted by Subie4life
    As some of you might know, Subaru's sound system is bad, REALLY bad!
    Odd...my parents have an 06 Legacy and the sound system is very impressive for a non-designer OEM system. The bass response is there, not overly boomy like most OEM setups, the highs are clear and sharp...my only complaint is that the speakers seem underpowered.
    Originally posted by riander4
    Alpine decks ftw!
    Nope. Older Alpine decks were great, but the new ones are ass. Pricey as hell and next to 0 features. The preouts also suck ass too. 2V wtf!

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Nope. Older Alpine decks were great, but the new ones are ass. Pricey as hell and next to 0 features. The preouts also suck ass too. 2V wtf!
    Exactly my thoughts.

My Ride
    2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Default Re: Re: New sound system for the Subie

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Odd...my parents have an 06 Legacy and the sound system is very impressive for a non-designer OEM system. The bass response is there, not overly boomy like most OEM setups, the highs are clear and sharp...my only complaint is that the speakers seem underpowered.
    I guess the Impreza stands alone in that regard then. Most people I've talked to who own Impreza's as well as reviews from car critics state the stereo as the single greatest negative of the Impreza.

I will look into the suggested retailers and systems. Thanks for the advice.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Re: Re: New sound system for the Subie

Originally posted by Subie4life

I guess the Impreza stands alone in that regard then. Most people I've talked to who own Impreza's as well as reviews from car critics state the stereo as the single greatest negative of the Impreza.

I will look into the suggested retailers and systems. Thanks for the advice.
    My recommendation for best bang for the buck deck would be the Premier 880.

-dual 16 band graphic EQ
    -time correction
    -auto tune eq and time correction with mic

My Ride
    01 Impreza 2.5RS and 05 LGT

I have always been a fan of the Pioneer Premier lineup. I would echo what has been said above about the speakers. Stay away from JVC and the infinity kappa speakers are definetely contenders. But I would really suggest buying a cheap four channel amp to power the speakers because you WILL notice the difference amp power and deck power.

When you do start looking at subs you should check out Image Dynamics. If I was sub shopping I would go for the IDMAX plain and simple. That is just my opinion though.

[SIZE=4.5]AWD BURNOUT![/size]

My Ride

I used to have a high end Eclipse deck about 6 years ago. It had 8v preouts, when most other decks had 2v MAX, and it was simply amazing, from a sound quality standpoint.

however, it was aptly nicknamed "e-skips", so i hope they've addressed that.

Sexy thing too, and at the time, they had a policy that "If it's stolen, you get a new one" from the manufacturer, I don't know if they do that now.