Quantcast
New Anti-Import laws comming May 1 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Anti-Import laws comming May 1

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Angry New Anti-Import laws comming May 1

New Alberta laws against imports is comming up starting may 1 2003. I don't know what exactly these new laws are I was hoping that someone else knows more info.

The only target that I know of so far is the complete illegalization of ANY after market light bulb that is installed. There was a study saying that so far there is no recorded accident regarding aftermarket light bulbs being wrong colors, too bright or non-standard beam pattern, but citizens have complained about them. So basically the police say it's illeagal to have them on your car if they did not come with them from the factory, but if it's factory then it's ok. So I think HID kits now will be a target.

Without the protecting of SEMA lobiests here in Canada were all have to take these new laws up the hoop. Where as SEMA in the US protects the import community by fighting laws so they don't get passed or to reduce their effect.

The police hate now has more firepower!

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II

The only target that I know of so far is the complete illegalization of ANY after market light bulb that is installed
    Ok...where is the part regarding "imports"?
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II TiSi/Blk
    Eisenmann 83mm Exhaust|Dinan Front Strut Bar|GC Coilovers|K&N Filters|Silvervision Signal Bulbs|Hamann Blackout Grill|Hamann Eyebrows|Hamann OE Brake Duct Covers|BMW Pedals|Alpine CVA-1005|Pioneer XM|iPod|PS2|MB Quartz Compnts.|Alpine Amps(2)|JL Audio 12" Subs(2)|Alpine PowerNav|Alpine 6 Disc Changer|Eibach Swaybars|18" SSR GT3's|Brembo Brake Kit 14"/12.9"|

My Ride
    NC1

My HID is stock! But I will probably get pulled over anyway
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Glowrider

Ok...where is the part regarding "imports"?
    well, its not STRICTLY against imports, but typically its the imports that have the ricer bulbs. But I kinda like this idea. It'll weed out all the blue/red/green blub users.

My Ride

Originally posted by buh_buh
    well, its not STRICTLY against imports, but typically its the imports that have the ricer bulbs. But I kinda like this idea. It'll weed out all the blue/red/green blub users.
    Well I dont even have these bulbs, I still use stock but this is just one of the laws. I would expect more laws on exhausts now too, which most of us do have.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Just great...now I'm going to have to bust my ass explaining to the officer that my lights are stock... Then I'll get a ticket anyways and waste half a day in front of a judge. They'd better have a list to cross check or something...

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

i always though Xenons are worse.... they r bright motherf--kers...

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

Xenons are bad hehe.. i was driving one day From Edmonton to Calgary sometime in Dec.. and i saw 2 BRIGHT super bright light + 2 bright light charging toward me from the back ( total of 4 lights)..
    i thought it was some freaken semi trying to run me over.. then the car switched lane to past me and it was a murano hehe

point of story.. none... just those light are really bright :P

My Ride
    Sfire GT and Daytona turbo

and i saw 2 BRIGHT super bright light + 2 bright light charging toward me from the back ( total of 4 lights)..
    That was the most confsing thing i have ever read

I thought this law agains lights was trashed already?
    Scott
    CFB Esquimalt/HMCS Protecteur

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

then again xenons r from mostly car corps like BMW so they probably will battle it out, as for HID i dunno

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe

I don't see how this is a concern for imports. The people installing aftermarket bulbs are the ones at risk, and they pretty much cover the entire spectrum. Tell me you haven't seen Neons and Sunfires running around town with blue bulbs and blacked out tail lights.

It doesn't look like it will be a problem for people running HIDs, since they for the most part are all factory installed. Obviously they aren't / going to change their HIDs. But they might change their fogs to match their HID color temp. If the color temps are a good match, I don't think they'll get noticed.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it. Law or no law, you're going to get a ticket if the officer wants to give you one, and which officer you get is the luck of the draw.

What does surprise me however is the concern over headlight color for some reason being such a priority. Just about every evening (long after dark) I see someone driving with either just one headlights, or no lights at all. You'd think enforcing something so basic would be a higher priority.

P.S. I'm disappointed the WRX STi coming to Canada won't have HIDs.

My Ride
    Civic . . .

this law makes no sense, becasue it seems to state that cars that come stock with HID's are legal but after market bulbs arn't ..... how many cops do you think are really going to know that your car (if it's newer) comes stock with these lights or not, I'm sure after a couple months of this b.s. cops will forget all about it because they will be so sick of trying to determine the difference, they won't care ......... i hope anyways ........ oh and just to throw humor in i got pulled over for my exsaust last week ..... it's not even that loud, but being a girl i got off with a warning
    never argue with idiots, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!

It has to do with the fact that most aftermarket bulbs blind oncomming drivers! wether it be HID conversions or not. Because the beam pattern is not correct. THis isn't to say that stock cars with HID's etc don't blind oncomming drivers too.

It's because a lot of stupid people put in cheap shitty bulbs that don't light up the road as well and blind oncoming drivers because their aimed poorly! If people didn't so stupid, unsafe shit then stuff like this wouldn't happen.

It's not 'anti-import' its anti-stupidity! if large masses do stupid shit that pisses people and law makers off, WHY GOLLY GEE it's going to become illegal!

My Ride
    Sfire GT and Daytona turbo

Originally posted by bol

It's not 'anti-import' its anti-stupidity! if large masses do stupid shit that pisses people and law makers off, WHY GOLLY GEE it's going to become illegal!
    LMAO, very well said!!!
    Scott
    CFB Esquimalt/HMCS Protecteur

My Ride

Originally posted by bol
    In the states they are legal if DOT SAE, and there is way more pissed off people and cops there.

Originally posted by Scott
    LMAO, very well said!!!
    I think you guys are missing my point that I do not give a rat's ass about stupid fucking lightbulbs!

It's the only new law that I heard comming but many other new laws are comming with it. One law could say you cant lower your car, unless it comes lowered stock, in which they tow your car on the spot and give you a fine, then you guys might be singing a different tune.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 04-11-2003 at 08:13 PM.

My Ride
    96 T/A

All the fines are being increased..
    No registration increases from $57 to $200, etc..
    Speeding fines will increase, red light fines will increase, tint fines are increasing..
    As it is, those bulbs are already illegal.. They distract other drivers, don't provide as much light without blinding other drivers, etc....

Funny thing is, I've never been pulled over for my exhaust ;-)
    And it is LOUD!!!
    (I had to spend an extra $1500 to get a quieter one .. Still wakes ALL my neighbours..)

Originally posted by Mr. Grinch
    What does surprise me however is the concern over headlight color for some reason being such a priority. Just about every evening (long after dark) I see someone driving with either just one headlights, or no lights at all. You'd think enforcing something so basic would be a higher priority.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe

Originally posted by bol

It's because a lot of stupid people put in cheap shitty bulbs that don't light up the road as well and blind oncoming drivers because their aimed poorly! If people didn't so stupid, unsafe shit then stuff like this wouldn't happen.

So basically the result is, if the lights are not stock, you get a ticket, regardless if they are aimed correctly or not, and if your lights ARE stock, you don't get a ticket, even if they are not aimed correctly.

Sounds like highly effective legislation to me

My Ride

There is more money in chasing down cars with light blue light bulbs......that's why.

So basically the result is, if the lights are not stock, you get a ticket, regardless if they are aimed correctly or not, and if your lights ARE stock, you don't get a ticket, even if they are not aimed correctly.

Sounds like highly effective legislation to me

yes, there are issues surrounding it but the fact remains that if thousands of kids didn't put in blue blubs, clear our turn signals and all other shit related to lights than laws like this would be thought up of

they see a problem and try to correct it through legislation, it's easier to make aftermarket bulbs against the highway act, than it is to go after manufacturers.

also, has anyone considered the fact that if you don't run tinted lights you probably will not have any problems? aftermarket is a general term, canadian tire bulbs might be considered aftermarket, but you're not going to get pulled over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast