Quantcast
One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

My Ride
    1998 Acura Integra GSR

Default One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

Hey guys

I currently live in a house with a single car attached garage and I was wondering if anyone one knows how much value would be added to the house if I got it turned into a two car garage? I live in Woodlands on a block that has only about three houses with two car garages so I was thinking that it would make the house more appealing. I just don't want to sink the money into it if I am not going to see a return on doing it when I sell it, which will be in a year or so. So any help would be appreciated. Thnx.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

This is calgary, you could dig a 2 foot pit in the ground, call it a swimming pool, increase the price by $10,000, and people will still pay it.

I honestly don't know how much the value would increase, but it would make it a lot more attractive to buyers. Think of all the junk they could store in a DOUBLE garage! (as they still park on the street)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    MB C63

i think it would increase the value much more

alot of houses that they are building now adays are only coming with a single garage or no garage so selling a house with a double is always more appealing to the buyer.

Its going to cost a bit more to turn a single into a double than it would to put just a double garage up tho since you have to take down the single.

My Ride
    335i

A double garage can command much more than a single garage. It's difficult to guage how much more, but i've seen comparable homes priced anywhere from 15-25k differently because of the differences in garage sizes.

If you are even remotely handy, you could add a double garage for 7k. You will get at least double, if not triple your investment when it comes time to sell.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Do it, and build it a big as possible. Get an 18x7 or 18x8 door instead of a standard 16x7 door.

Not only is it good for resale, it's also something you will use yourself.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Do it, and build it a big as possible. Get an 18x7 or 18x8 door instead of a standard 16x7 door.

Not only is it good for resale, it's also something you will use yourself.
    Best advice ever regarding garages!

My Ride
    1998 Acura Integra GSR

Alright thnx guys, I thought that it would be worth especially considering what else there is on the block but you want to be sure about these things considering it will set you back a few grand and if you don't recover it that can kill you in the end, but I think I will try to get it done if this continues to be the consensus.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Expanding to a double is an excellent investment, and an immediate benefit as well.

My Ride
    1998 Acura Integra GSR

Oh yeah and do you guys think that it would be better to knock down the existing structure and start from scratch or is it better to just add on to what already exists? Also has anyone had this done before and if so can they recommend anyone who could do this if I didn't decide to do it on my own?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Well, a total garage package from Totem is about $7000 for a 20x24 size garage single door.....no siding is included.....and then factor in the concrete/foundation.....I think unless you have an off-center single garage (so doubling wouldn't look funny), you're looking at doing it all over again?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

IMO, its easy to make a pretty profit by adding a double garage, but one thing is for certain - you can demand every cent that it costs you. You cant say that for every type of home improvement .

My uncle who has been a realtor in Calgary since the early 80s says that a double garage will increase the value of your home by about $14.5k and a single will be around $8k.

Basically, if you are planning on building one with the sole purpose to increase the sale value, you are wasting your time.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Originally posted by sputnik
    My uncle who has been a realtor in Calgary since the early 80s says that a double garage will increase the value of your home by about $14.5k and a single will be around $8k.

Basically, if you are planning on building one with the sole purpose to increase the sale value, you are wasting your time.
    that sound reasonable, 14.5K is roughly what the "Garage Guys" quoted me for a basic 2 car garage - detached.

Funny but my builder in MAckenzie Town would build the same for 18K. I wish that your uncle would have closed the deal with me, instead

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default garage

garages are more expensive to build in McKenzie towne because of the forced 5 foot set back (more concrete on the skirt)

Garage packages at Totem/Home depot are WAY cheaper than 7 grand (not sure where the guy above got his pricing) I had a quote from them less than a month ago for 4 grann for a 24x24 garage package (you have to buy siding+ eastraugh on top of this)

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

when I was looking for a house, I saw a few houses with single attached garages and this was the only reason I did not buy them. Although the houses were nice, I didn't like the look of the single garage. Not sure if this helps but if there are a lot of buyers like me than I think that would be a great investment.

My Ride
    02 Accord

The value would increase even more so with an Infrared garage heater from Calcana.

My Ride
    1998 Acura Integra GSR

Originally posted by EnRich
    The value would increase even more so with an Infrared garage heater from Calcana.
    I thought about a heater too, but I am not sure if I care to go that far, I guess it really depends on cost.

My Ride
    02 Accord

Originally posted by fordo_11

I thought about a heater too, but I am not sure if I care to go that far, I guess it really depends on cost.
    I can get you one right now for around 1250 all in (venting included) I'd be happy to show you the factory sometime if you like....

www.calcana.com

If your gonna heat a garage, stay as far away from forced air as possible.
    - pig on gas
    - hot air rises (all the hot air you want and need is at the roof top level of your garage)
    - Regardless of insulation (a garage has ALOT of heat loss)
    - Their loud, and vibrate

I've had a few beyonders buy heaters from me, seems to be liked.

My Ride
    POS

A double garage would definately increase the value in your home, but I would first make sure you have enough room on your lot to accomodate a wider garage. Your probably going to need a city approval and a permit to do that, but I'm just guessing.

My Ride
    1998 Acura Integra GSR

Originally posted by EnRich

I can get you one right now for around 1250 all in (venting included) I'd be happy to show you the factory sometime if you like....

www.calcana.com

If your gonna heat a garage, stay as far away from forced air as possible.
    - pig on gas
    - hot air rises (all the hot air you want and need is at the roof top level of your garage)
    - Regardless of insulation (a garage has ALOT of heat loss)
    - Their loud, and vibrate

I've had a few beyonders buy heaters from me, seems to be liked.
    I will get back to you if I decide to do it (probably wouldn't be until early next year [2007])

Originally posted by topmade
    A double garage would definately increase the value in your home, but I would first make sure you have enough room on your lot to accomodate a wider garage. Your probably going to need a city approval and a permit to do that, but I'm just guessing.
    Yeah I measured out the lot and I have enough room to have a good sized walk way down the side of the property, but no grass (which is currently a pain in the ass to maintain anyways so no loss). I also imagine you would need the permits too which can be a pain in the ass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast