Quantcast
Street Racing Law Will Do NOTHING! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Racing Law Will Do NOTHING!

Default Street Racing Law Will Do NOTHING!

Street Racing, Stupid Impaired Drivers & Politicians

There are no official Canadian statistics on street-racing and related deaths. The problem isn't serious enough to even bother having statistics kept. Isn't this group (street racers) being unfairly attacked? So unimportant is the problem that the Government of Canada has to reference US based statistics in their own bills because there is no Canadian statistical information in existence. Fact: The Street Racing fatality numbers are so low that Canadian legislators have to dig up statistics from a country with a population nearly 10 times greater than our own? Yes, yes, this seems like a problem that should be immediately addressed with extreme prejudice, widespread media coverage and a horse and pony car crushing display by some Eastern nim-witted Po Po’s. The legislation is clearly critical to decrease the traffic fatality rate, and yes, yes, the punishments to be levied should be of the utmost severity. The legislative assembly, in all it’s brilliance, will roar with approval!

According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2004, 16,694 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes - an average of one almost every half-hour. These deaths constituted approximately 39 percent of the 42,636 total traffic fatalities. There were 125 deaths as a result of Street Racing. So, in the United States, impaired driving caused 13400% more fatalities than Street Racing. To be fair Canadians would like to believe they are not quite as stupid as Americans. For the sake of argument, let's say that in reality Canadians are just as intellectually deficient. Then these statistics could probably be transferred over to Canada and be relatively accurate with regard to percentages. Naturally occurrence numbers are going to be lower due to our lower population.

Even though I don't street race, it's hard to defend the statement that this group is being rightfully and justifiably singled out. When in fact, impaired driving (perhaps even the random bar fight) is causing more deaths per annum than Street Racing. Toronto, one of the largest Canadian cities has seen only twenty-nine deaths in the last six years. That's right. Wow, Twenty-nine deaths over a span of six years of Street Racing with no special laws to punish it. Without doing the actual research, I'd say there is no question that random bar fights claimed more lives than Street Racing in the last six years in the city of Toronto. The numbers aren't even high enough to bother keeping track of officially. That alone is enough reason to toss this stupid bill into the trash and spit on it.

Ever wonder where such stupid bills come from? As quickly as that question can be asked the answer can be realized: Stupid impaired politicians. Dumb-fuck lawmakers in Ottawa wasting time and money in search of a way to appease an outraged public who need to be mad at someone or something at all times. Our government needs something to keep them busy. Surely after a while, sitting on your thumb whilst rotating becomes boring, and then a new law aimed at a fraction of a percent of people contributing to a specific problem simply must be drummed up. But Wait! Like any problem, you need to find the major source, and do something to eliminate it. A concept seemingly overlooked in the case of the Street Racing bill.

Let me be the bearer of some fantastic news!

Fortunately the fucker that introduced the original private members bill about Street Racing is already dead. I mean, just in case you cared or were hoping that the son-of-a-bitch, no-good, brain-less, dick-less moron of a politician who thought up this crap load of sludge should be somehow punished. He's already dead. I'm not going to research his life and lofty achievements any further. I am immensely satisfied, without further pursuit, that step one of eliminating really stupid private member bills is already achieved. It was his private members bill that was tabled, and eventually transformed into what we know as the Street Racing Bill. So, if you were hoping for vengeance against the think tank that decided pursuit of 0.29% of the problem was a worthy target to reduce traffic fatalities...I have great news for you! He's Dead, He's Dead, and He's Dead. What a fucking tool.

How do you reduce traffic fatalities? It is after all a very difficult decision to make. Any politician (with less than average intelligence, of course) would have great difficulty in understanding what should be pursued to reduce traffic fatality reduction. Clearly, when you have 39% of fatalities caused by Impaired Scum, and 0.29% caused by Street Racing Scum – the choice becomes obvious to any politician. Get the Street Racer Scum!

0.29% FTW!

You read correctly. Impaired drivers caused 13400% more fatalities than Street Racers.

But wait! If you really want to cut back on traffic fatalities, let’s consider Life imprisonment for impaired drivers. Let’s not let them kill someone before they get a measly 10 years in prison. Let’s just fill the prisons with drunks. Harsh, yes. Would it fix the problem? Yes. Right, so this is all that we require, why is that so hard? I should be a law-maker. Perhaps we could be lenient? Yes. Yes. Let’s only give them 3 years in jail for the first offence, then Life imprisonment with the added bonus that you don’t need to harm or injure anyone to receive the punishment! I mean, if you want to stop the problem, and you want severe punishment targeted specifically at a very large source of the problem. That’d do it. OK, so maybe it’s not such a great idea. But at least it would target a much larger group of people and would unquestionably effect the desired result of reducing traffic fatalities and the punishment would be so severe the crime would become a risk too high for most to take. I think Politicians don’t target drunk drivers specifically because many of them would like to avoid targeting themselves in the process.

But wait!

Because I am not a politician and I am semi-intelligent, I have come up with some seriously disturbing information. Statistical information, which is precise, exact and is undisputable. I’m afraid that if 0.29% of fatalities are caused by Street Racer Scum, and 39% of fatalities are caused by Drunk Scum, then that leaves a staggering 60.71% of drivers causing fatalities whilst not doing anything particularly stupid. Uhm, well folks, how exactly do we reduce traffic fatalities when the majority of them are occurring just due to plain old stupidity? Some will say that 60.71% are simply necessary if we all want to drive. I disagree. It seems very clear to me that the correct group of people to be targeting is the average daily driver. This is the group that needs the most attention. Followed very closely by the drunks. And the people looking the most golden needing the least amount of attention are the Street Racers. How oh How did the Politicians get it all so backwards? It takes more than lack of intelligence, it takes purified concentrated liquefied stupidity pumped directly into your veins to get that dumb. Yet the political forum is quite happy to pursue 0.29% of the problem, leaving the 39% of the problem status-quo and the real problem of 60.71% completely alone.

Don’t you have to pass Math to become a Politician? Seriously?

It seems much harsher penalties for impaired driving could go a long way to reduced traffic fatalities. Maybe we could reduce that 39% down to 20% and the overall number of fatalities would drop. Perhaps. That would be a marked improvement. But no matter what we do with the laws regarding Street Racing, the potential is never greater than 0.29%. Let’s pretend. I like pretend-time. So, if Street Racing laws were 100% successful and completely eliminated Street Racing, the law would inflict barely a dent in the fatality count of Canada each year as it would see only a 0.29% reduction in fatalities. Diddly. Dick. Squat. Nadda. Nuttin. Zilch. Zero. Zip. Fuck All.

That being said, and since I don't street race and don't plan on injuring or killing anyone with my car during a street race - I like the Bill. And the media loves a good Street Racing Death. It's guaranteed to sell papers and get people tuned in to their TV. But the statistical fact proves, beyond any question or shadow of a doubt, that tougher laws on Street Racing will not impact any significant reduction in fatalities on public streets. Efforts directed at stiffer penalties for the drunks among us will definitely decrease the fatality count. Overlooked is what should be a very extensive government designed and funded continuing education program for drivers, defensive driving courses, and perhaps the re-testing of drivers on a periodic basis. I mean, it’s us normal folk who are causing 60+% of the accidents out there. Hell, you could likely argue that perhaps since this is the largest group of fatality causing misfits, it should be the only group of people to place any additional focus upon. Let the impaired fucktards and Street Racing losers be as even when combined that group is less than 40% of the problem!

Street Racing causing just 0.29% of fatalities is a barely noticable blip on the radar. Pfft, in Canada that’s hardly a dozen people per year. Wonderful, a special law for the lucky dozen people who will kill another human-being during a Street Race. I’m so pleased my tax money could be directed to such a noble cause. Unfortunately, it means that in Canada thousands will die at the hands of drunk drivers in the same time frame, and seemingly nothing is being done to make those penalties suitable.
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 07-11-2006 at 11:00 PM.

very well written
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    maybe your car is trying to tell u to stop ricing it out...u know, in its own little way.
    Originally posted by b_t
    I draw a pentragram on my garage floor, sacrifice a lamb on it, spread the blood everywhere, and park my car there overnight. I tried praying, but it didn't work, so pagan rituals it is.

But then again, thats because I drive a DSM. I personally have found my car very reliable, but thats because I get lamb at a good price.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

REPEATED BECAUSE THIS LAW MAKES ME MAD.

Originally posted by Khyron[B]
    Plus it infuriates me to no end that a few punks racing in an industrial complex can be charged more harshly than rapists and repeat impaired drivers. Our laws can't even keep gangbangers off the streets, so go after suburban kids to make up for it??

And that the government is allowed to destroy private property - show me any traffic fine that exceeds 30,000 dollars! This law is political posturing, is redundant, and deals with a tiny subset of easilly identifiable people rather than targetting the far more serious issues. And faced with those higher charges, the punks are only more provoked into running, or worse, shooting the cop. Imagine if speeding was a 5 year sentence, with the car destroyed on site. How many people would stop. Would you be terrified walking up to a car that did stop?
    Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

nicely written, i like your thinking

My Ride
    MB C63

very well written....
    send that to the city and a news channel.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by mikey_mo_love
    very well written
    Yeah, it'd fit right into a campus paper.

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

finnally...someone sharing a simaler point of view as me, tho i could never say it as good as you did...not that i think racing should be legal...its wrong... but DAMN...such hard consequences!! good job

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease...

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

entertaining, but weak.

for example :

Yet the political forum is quite happy to pursue 0.29% of the problem, leaving the 39% of the problem status-quo and the real problem of 60.71% completely alone.
    " leaving the 39% of the problem status-quo and the real problem of 60.71% completely alone."?!?!?!?!?!

give your head a shake, man.

My Ride
    Toyota Previa

Who cares.... I still rule the streets baby

My Ride
    2008 Z06

good read.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Originally posted by Alex_FORD
    That sentence is intended to make you think and is ofcourse twisting percentages to illustrate a point. The numbers seems strange because it is a very small percentage of people driving drunk causing 39% of fatalities. And a very large percentage of daily drivers causing the 60.71%. But it is an extremely low percentage of Street Racers no matter which way you cut the cake.

Fact is 60.71% of fatality accidents (the large majority) are not caused by Drunks or Street Racing. They are caused by every day drivers just plain and simply having accidents.

Wouldn't it be a wise course of action to pursue the development of a program that would combat that? If not, society is deeming it to be acceptable and expected that 60% of fatalities on the Public Roadways will simply just happen. That means we are perfectly OK in knowing that each year thousands of individuals will die in car accidents, with no government program to help reduce that number, other than laws which apparently aren't helping.

Thus, some would say those are the necessary fatalities simply so we can all get to drive, and the Street Racing and Drunk Driving fatalities are the only fatalities of significance. I'm sure, however, the large number of fatalities (and the majority) that are happening simply because of bad driving habits, speeding, or what have you are of great concern to the families of those who were lost.

Fatalities apparently can not be prevented with any type of government program, including all existing programs and laws - because those fatality statistics exists simultaneously within the framework of current laws and programs.

I'm just trying to illustrate that the focus of the Street Racing law is seriously misplaced and misguided if it is an effort to reduce fatality collisions on Public Roadways. And basically that is the expressed purpose of the law. By default, it's just plain ignorant of the facts to use that as a premise for the law. Really Street Racers aren't even contributing to the overall number of fatalities on the Public Roadways. Well, unless you consider 0.29% a contribution of significance. I sure as hell don't. Fuck, I bet faulty electrical in traffic lights is a bigger contributor of fatalities across the nation.

The sentence in question simply illustrates that fatalities are not just caused by drunks and street racers. Specifically that Street Racers cause an extremely low number of fatalities by comparison to drunks or everyday drivers just driving as per usual.

Bottom line, 99.71% of traffic fatalities are happening whether or not Street Racing occurs. So, eliminate Street Racing, and well, you've accomplished absolutely nothing other than to eliminate 0.29% of the problem. Great, now don't you think it would be wise to at least attempt to go after the other 99.71%? Yeah, me too!

My Ride
    05 Lifted ram-08 Mega Cab Dually-1946 383 Chev

Originally posted by tabouli
    Who cares.... I still rule the streets baby
    "I live my life one post at a time... when im typing that post nothing else matters to me, not the shop, not the cars" "for that 30 seconds im writing these posts... im free"

Ps Very well written, i agree 100% they need to concentrate on somemthing more pressing rather than street racing that as you already stated doesnt even have its on statistic in canada.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    The squeaky wheel always gets the grease...
    That's the reality there.

These bills usually got made by politicans elected on a platform from a riding where the problem is not 0.29%. Probably more like 30%. So what do you think the politican should do, do nothing and risk not getting re-elected?

Street racing also got very high profile. Have you heard drunk driver killing any RCMP officiers? Street racing had and it's still fresh in most people's minds.

Bottom line is, what seems BS to us may mean a lot for someone else.

Yes, drunk driving probably kill more, but more people can relate to it than street racing so it get the attention. I'm not saying it's right, but it's life.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

You don't create a set of laws against violent crime without going after brutal murderers, right?

Street Racers are just the extreme top of the shit heap of stupid, reckless, criminally negligent drivers.

My Ride
    whatever i want

Originally posted by Alex_FORD
    entertaining, but weak.

for example :

" leaving the 39% of the problem status-quo and the real problem of 60.71% completely alone."?!?!?!?!?!

Alex remove head from brown eye before you post!! Z fan is totally correct in what he's saying!

I have never drivin impaired simply because i could not live with myself if i hurt or killed someone because of it. If you made it 10 years to life for drunk driving(first offence) then i think this law and all the tax payers money it will cost would be 100% justified.

I don't agree with street racing, but what's going to stop the police going after people that speed away from lights?

With such a small percentage of acutal street racers, and the deaths that occur because of them it's like having the gun registration all over again. it did nothing!!!

If i was a criminal carring a weapon hmmmmm would i register the gun i'm going to kill someone with .

Alex if all you do is come in here to run your mouth, go talk to you mommy, maybe she will give a shit.

For the record, and so there is no confusion, I am totally for the new Street Racing laws. How they read and what they will do is a fantastic step towards punishing these criminals.

But please oh please don't think these laws are going to do anything with respect to reducing fatalities. Because, well, there is simply nothing to reduce. They represent nearly nothing in the big picture of traffic fatalities. Yet it seems this is the primary focus of the media. Street Racing = Primary Reason For Death of Innocent People. Completely unfounded.

Perhaps an even bigger problem is that the concept of driving prohibitions for offenders is actually a really good idea. Read the criminal code and for some strange reason it is completely absent for impaired driving convictions. Yes, completely missing from the Criminal Code. Another oversight? So we'll just let the provinces decide on whether or not to suspend licenses? Hell no, it should be right in the Criminal Code just like the street racing driving prohibitions. Fantastic idea, now let's put the screws to the drunks who are actually causing a significant number of fatalities. Why are we leaving them alone? I don't get it.

I mean, at least then it [driving prohibitions] would actually affect some people.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

Originally posted by Cypresskilla

I don't agree with street racing, but what's going to stop the police going after people that speed away from lights?

The cops have always had things that they can charge people with when they speed away from lights.

Don't worry, you can still speed away from lights without risking a jail sentence.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    Yet it seems this is the primary focus of the media. Street Racing = Primary Reason For Death of Innocent People. Completely unfounded.
    haha so whats the closest media clip that you can google?

I hope you aren't taking things out of context. I do mean killing innocent people via the use of a motor vehicle.

Are you telling me you've never read an article about Street Racers killing either innocent civilians or themselves? Never heard of a street racing problem in Vancouver? Never head of a pedestrian getting killed by street racers? The media has never written of such things?

I think you probably know how to use Google. So, have at it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast