Quantcast
Behind the Wheel - July 12, 2006: Operating an ATV on the Highway - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Behind the Wheel - July 12, 2006: Operating an ATV on the Highway

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Default Behind the Wheel - July 12, 2006

Operating an ATV on the Highway

Can I drive my ATV on the road if I licence it?

The answer to this question is a qualified "yes." If you are operating the all terrain vehicle for farm, industrial or law enforcement purposes, have an ATV licence plate issued by ICBC and a permit issued by the police force having jurisdiction where the ATV will be operated, then you are good to go.

There are currently no provisions for those who wish to operate an ATV on the highway for pleasure purposes.

The officer issuing the permit must consult with the person responsible for highway maintenance. Once this is done the permit will allow operation across a highway, along an untravelled portion of the highway or both, possibly subject to limitations and conditions set out in the permit. The permit expires at the same time as the licence plate.

The ATV must be equipped with a muffler and comply with stopping distance requirements. Auxiliary driving light rules must be followed during daylight hours and there are minimum requirements for head, tail and brake lights if the vehicle is operated after sunset.

Should you live on an island that is not accessible by a bridge or scheduled ferry service and you have the licence and permit, you may operate an ATV that you ride in or on rather than astride as long as the highway is posted at a speed of more than 20 km/h.

In all cases, the driver of the ATV must possess a valid driver's licence of the appropriate class.

Reference Links
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

Do you know whats a shame?

I could probably put 4 ATV wheels on my harley and liscense it,

but if I do a really professional and safe job on a Yamaha Banshee ie lower the suspension and put some miniature street legal tires on it, I still couldn't liscense it for pavement. I remember reading an article about a company that does conversions and sells them in Italy. Very tempting. It sucks to be in Canada.