Quantcast
Jaywalking Pedestrian Hit in Chinatown - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaywalking Pedestrian Hit in Chinatown

Default Jaywalking Pedestrian Hit in Chinatown

I was walking to Thi Thi at 11:30 for lunch with some co-workers and while walking down 3rd Ave we heard some tires squealing. We turn around to see an elderly chinese person on the ground not moving in front of a stopped car far from any marked crosswalk or intersection. We were well past the incident at the time and chose not to stick around and gawk so we left the scene.

Police quickly blocked off the street and 2 ambulances were called. It is a pretty good chance that the person was killed in the accident. Pretty sad stuff.

Keep a heads up when driving through Chinatown. My wife and I drive down 3rd after work everyday and we always see tons of people wandering into the middle of the street.

My Ride
    POS

very sad indeed as most of the elderly people who are down there all the time, just have no idea of the traffic system. Call it what you want, you still have to be very careful driving there.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybea...132537_19268_0

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

This morning at 11:35 a.m. Calgary Paramedics responded to
    3rd Avenue and Centre Street S.E. for reports of a pedestrian
    / vehicle collision.

When Paramedics arrived, they learned that an 83 year old
    female pedestrian had suffered critical, but non-life
    threatening injuries as a result of a collision with a
    vehicle.

Paramedics on scene quickly provided advanced life support
    care and rapid transport to Foothills Hospital for further
    treatment.

The Calgary Police Service is investigating the details
    surrounding this incident.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

AZN XING
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by topmade
    very sad indeed as most of the elderly people who are down there all the time, just have no idea of the traffic system. Call it what you want, you still have to be very careful driving there.
    they do know the traffic system
    its just inconvenient for them to walk around to get to the place across the street

My Ride
    V8 Toy

The traffic system in China Town is that people have right away and can cross anywhere... anytime.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    JeepYJ/06VTEC What I Love: 4x4

Originally posted by Rav4Guy
    The traffic system in China Town is that people have right away and can cross anywhere... anytime.
    Well id say its about time they learn our culture. Its no excuse to put all of us other drivers in danger because they chose to move to the other side of the planet.

My Ride
    335i

Pedestrians in Chinatown have zero regard for traffic laws, it was only a matter of time before this happened and its gonna keep happening til they learn to watch out for cars.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Hence a trip to the hospital with life threatening injuries. Pedestrians have just as much responsibility as drivers when crossing streets.

My Ride
    1985 GMC Sierra... For Now :D

thats what i was gonna say...
    it was bound to happen sometime

isn't there a law trying to be passed right now changing it from that pedistrians at cross walks don't have the right of way, cause alot of times im so close to the cross walk and they just jump right out there, leaving me no time to stop. It's just as bad as crosswalking. I don't care if u have the right of way, be sensible and use common sense.
    Last edited by Stoppie; 07-13-2006 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Sienna XLE

Good to know that the old woman is alive.

Hopefully this is a good example of driving with care especially around Chinatown. I remember driving there once and there was this guy walking on the sidewalk, then he all of a sudden just bolts across me, causing my tires to screech. Funny thing is the guy got pissed at me, and kept walking down the other side of the road as if nothing happened

Nothing that has meaning is easy. "Easy" doesn't enter into grown-up life... everday we live, hard its a strife... good thing right now I don't have a wife

As Kanye say, nothings ever promised tommorow today

My Ride
    German

There's always people all along the streets, you shouldn't be going that fast leaving you no time to stop for someone to cross the road anyways.

and able to park anywhere at anytime. sidewalks, in the road, handi zones, no parking lanes etc, etc.

That's the worst intersection in Calgary for J-walkers. Pedestrians always hold up that intersection. I'm surprised there's not more accidents there.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Not just in chinatown.. I almost smoked a lady the other day because she shot out from behind a bus and crossed the road (she was in a crosswalk, but did not stop to check for traffic). I was told directly from an officer "If you are going to hit something, just hit it, 9 times out of 10 major swerving or braking will just result in another accident anyways".

I just kept going and missed her by inches. Then got the bird and all the fun stuff from her because apparently I was at fault. Keep in mind this was in a 70 zone and I was maybe 6-8 feet from the crosswalk when she darted out.

I dunno about anyone else, but when I was growing up it was taught that you WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP BEFORE CROSSING!

I have little regard for people that do not follow that SIMPLE rule.

My Ride
    2000 Celica GT

Old Lady - 65 points ! +10 Bonus points if she had a walker.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by DeeK
    I dunno about anyone else, but when I was growing up it was taught that you WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP BEFORE CROSSING!
    I have noticed that pedestrians are well versed in the fact that they have the right of way at a crosswalk but not so much when it comes to "looking both ways before crossing". It's like they think there is an invisible force field protecting them from drivers not paying attention. There isn't a force field and there are drivers that don't pay attention so pedestrians like I said before need to assume more responsibility.

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

hahaha too bad this wasnt asia.. u get hit by car.. thats kinda too shitty for u haha ppl dont relaly have a right of way there when it comes to cars haha but that sucks. i wonder what that woman is gonna get charged with if any
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

I almost hit the fisherman, even with his neon vest on.

If you hit a jaywalker you should be able to sue them for damages. At least the adults that should know better. Why should my insurance rates go up because some idiot took a gamble and lost. (And yes before someone gets into all the fine print and why we have insurance and all that crap, I'm just making a point)

And then you have the crosswalks in Calgary that if I didn't know any better would say that they are actually there to curb the population growth. I've never seen so many crosswalks on blind corners, on the crest of hills and so poorly lit in all my life.

Combine that with the affore mentioned lack of common sense that most people have when using them, I can't believe there aren't many people killed every day in calgary... and that's not even including the jaywalkers.

A lot of city planners seem to suffer from 'Head Up Ass Syndrome'.

And I should say, I'm not heartless, and I hope that woman recovers quickly, but Darwinism works 24/7 so people need to think more about avoiding it.
    Last edited by SilverBoost; 07-13-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast