Quantcast
So many "Canadians" in Lebanon... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So many "Canadians" in Lebanon...

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Default So many "Canadians" in Lebanon...

So who are all these Canadians in Lebanon ?? Forty Thousand plus of them. They can't all be visiting. Are they Lebanese ,who at some point, got their Canadian citizenship,moved back to Lebanon ,and kept their Canadian passports as a "Get out of jail free " card. Now Canadian taxpayers are expected to bail them out.
    I'm having a hard time believing there's such a large group of Canadians visiting such a small country so far away.

If these people are living in Lebanon,they should pay for their
    evacuation,not the Canadian Taxpayer.
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Initially the government said they only expected 5000 people to take advantage of the evacuation efforts. The rest were residing in Lebanon and were not expected to want out.

My Ride
    something green

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...3-ecd5da885b2a

Given the problems the middle east is plagued with, its not like those people didnt know there was a risk either.. I think you are right about it being a passport of convenience for alot of them...Those that have been there for more than 2 months or so should be charged the cost of their rescue..

My Ride

The US Government charges its citizens for evacuation efforts, they have to sign and be billed at a later date.

Lebanon Situation Update - July 15, 2006
    July 15, 2006
    This information is current as of today, Sat Jul 15 12:20:12 2006.

A message to the American citizens in Lebanon:

The Department of State continues to work with the Department of Defense on a plan to help American citizens depart Lebanon. As of the morning of July 15, we are looking at how we might transport Americans to Cyprus. Once in Cyprus, Americans can then board commercial aircraft for onward travel. Commercial airlines provide the safest and most efficient repatriation options to final destinations.

The Department of State reminds American citizens that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date. In a subsequent message, when we have specific details about the transporation arrangments, we will inform you about the costs you will incur. We will also work with commercial aircraft to ensure that they have adequate flights to help you depart Cyprus and connect to your final destination.

The Department of State continues to work around the clock and will continue to send updates as appropriate.

http://beirut.usembassy.gov/lebanon/...on_Update.html

^ They scrapped that idea actually, and for REAL citizens, rightfully so.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

I think the Canadian Government should arrange for free evacuation to Isreal.

Then, we will learn who is Canadian, and who is not Canadian, based on their actions.

My Ride
    '04 SRT-4

Originally posted by Tyler883
    I think the Canadian Government should arrange for free evacuation to Isreal.

Then, we will learn who is Canadian, and who is not Canadian, based on their actions.
    amen
    Originally posted by Parkesy
    It's like eating a steak with a side of rice. Ain't nothin' wrong with it.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Re: So many "Canadians" in Lebanon...

Originally posted by fast95pony
    ..... Now Canadian taxpayers are expected to bail them out.
    I'm having a hard time believing there's such a large group of Canadians visiting such a small country so far away.

If these people are living in Lebanon,they should pay for their
    evacuation,not the Canadian Taxpayer.
    Send the bill to Israel.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Default Re: Re: So many "Canadians" in Lebanon...

Originally posted by Toma

Send the bill to Israel.
    ...and if I blow my engine up at the track, I'll send
    the bill to Ford..

11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

on this topic you make no sense.

We live in such a great nation. It is our duty to make sure our citizens where ever they be, how ever they be are safe.

Look at england for example, my mother and father both British nationals. If they hit rock bottom and bankcrupt, they call the embassy here, and england will arrange for a flight back to england, and a house in my parents name, as well as enough money a month to sustain the life style we had when we lived there 10yrs ago.

It is every nations duty to take care of its citizens, we must evacuate all Canadians from lebanon, even Israel at this point, if war breaks out even they are'nt safe.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Re: Re: Re: So many "Canadians" in Lebanon...

Originally posted by fast95pony

...and if I blow my engine up at the track, I'll send
    the bill to Ford..

you would if they forced your right foot down and wouldn't let go for 58 years

My Ride

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday that he intends to go to Cyprus and use a government plane to help Canadians fleeing the fighting in Lebanon.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper: 'It's more than a symbolic trip. There is a need for air support in Cyprus.' (CBC) Harper said he will try to bring back as many as 120 Canadians using the Canadian Forces plane that took him to Europe earlier in the week.

There are an estimated 50,000 Canadian citizens among the foreigners in Lebanon, many desperate to escape the Israeli military strikes that began after Hezbollah militants crossed the border into Israel on July 12 and attacked an army outpost.

"Because of the seriousness of the situation and our relative proximity to Cyrpus, we have decided to take the Canadian Forces aircraft we have been travelling on to help airlift evacuees back home," Harper told reporters.

"It's more than a symbolic trip," Harper said. "There is a need for air support in Cyprus. We believe this is the right thing to do and that's why we are going to do it."

'Stripped down' crew gives more room for evacuees

Harper made the surprise announcement meeting with French President Jacques Chirac in Paris on Wednesday afternoon. Harper is on a week-long trip, visiting Europe and attending a meeting of leaders from the Group of Eight richest industrialized nations in Russia on the weekend.

The plane will be "stripped down" with as few crew members on board as possible to allow for more room for the stranded Canadians, Harper said. The rest of the Canadian delegation and reporters who have been travelling with the prime minister have been told that they cannot stay on the plane for the same reason.

Officials said only Harper's wife, Laureen, and a couple of his communications staff and his official photographer, will fly to Cyprus with him.
    "It's more than a symbolic trip," Harper said."
    Officials said only Harper's wife, Laureen, and a couple of his communications staff and his official photographer , will fly to Cyprus with him.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/nation...vacuation.html
    Last edited by eljefe; 07-19-2006 at 11:47 AM.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by 5abi

Look at england for example, my mother and father both British nationals. If they hit rock bottom and bankcrupt, they call the embassy here, and england will arrange for a flight back to england, and a house in my parents name, as well as enough money a month to sustain the life style we had when we lived there 10yrs ago.

Totally different subject . However...

I was born in the U.K. I have a British passport.
    If I hit rock bottom and go bankrupt I'm certainly not going to phone Tony Blair to fly me back to the U.K. and ask for money and
    a house !
    That's one of the U.K.'s problems..too many people looking for hand-out's , instead of getting of their arse's and working.

on this topic you make no sense.

Do you really belive that?

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by Celica TVS3

Do you really belive that?

Good point.

He probably does...

Last edited by 01RedDX; 11-01-2020 at 05:47 AM.

No its true.

Englands social service is the best in the world.

No its true.

Englands social service is the best in the world.
    sounds like a program for nancy's by nancy's... you fuck up, you pay the price, everyone wants handouts these days..

My Ride
    1992.5 Toyota Supra Turbo US Model with Toyota Nav

well if the US is supplying Israel for war machines and giving them billions and billions. so whats the big deal the evacuate americans and the us expense?

i

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast