Quantcast
S2000 or 350Z? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: S2000 or 350Z?

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

^Jesus! At 120 I'm doing 2700 and I think that's a ton! I wish I had an overdrive gear that put me at 1500rpm
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    996TT

yea already it rev's high. Mayb eI should figure it out for sure. maybe it was higher km/h I'm not sure.

I just remember the 3800 to 4200 difference. I Forget what speed.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    Such a large final drive would have you revving at 4000rpm on the highway. Definitely not something you want to do for a daily driver.

You can argue for the S2000 all you want, but in the end Honda concedes some points and Nissan concedes some. There's a world of difference between Nissan and Honda. Try both of them and you'll know. Nissan is a torque factory, Honda is a screamer. That's all there is to it. 4000rpm on the F20C would probably be equivalent to 1500rpm on the VQ35.

Arguing is pointless. Test drive the cars and see. These types of threads should be banned.
    Why wouldn't gears be good for DD? If you are in the city most of the time why not? Or are people too lazy to shift up?

For the highway, that is why I say matched with an AP2 tranny would be perfect since gear 5 and 6 are taller so you will turn less rpm.

These generalizations that I see on here all the time only spread misinformation for people that don't know the inner workings.

BTW: I have not problem turning 4500rpm on the highway all day long. The engine is built for it and with oil analysis shows very little wear.

So yes ban these types of thread before more misinformation is spread. Drive the cars you want to consider and leave it at that.
    Bay Area Dreamin'
    Cruisin' in Cowtown
    10' IS F

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Such a large final drive would have you revving at 4000rpm on the highway. Definitely not something you want to do for a daily driver.

Arguing is pointless. Test drive the cars and see. These types of threads should be banned.
    By your screen name, I won't rag on a fellow "countryman" too badly, however, this view (and some of the others you have displayed in this thread) is outdated and possibly based on a lack of knowledge of modern day engine mechanics.
    An S2000 is designed to rev high as a natural way of things. It has Fiber Re-inforced Metal (read: Carbon Fiber) cylinder liners to withstand such high piston speeds. For it to run at 4000 rpm or even 5000 rpm all day long, every day, is not a stupendous feat. Afterall, it is running at only about 1/2 of it's redline limit.
    Would you think it strange for an engine to run all day long at 2500 rpm when its designed redline was 5000 rpm? I think not. Everything is relative.
    It may not be something "you" would want to do, but it makes no difference to an S2000 engine. Those who own them, do it all the time. Don't allow your knowledge and experience of other cars mislead you into making bad assumptions or statements about a car you seem to know very little about.

As for threads like this, you are right. They are pointless except to bring out statements by those who know little to nothing about the subject upon which they expound. What they "think" and what they've "heard" is a far cry from what is fact.

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Originally posted by TurboTEGRA
    I know the supercharged s2k from speedtech dynoed 230whp. S2k stock is only 190whp.

350z all the way. or get a g35
    Oh Wow! I know of an elephant that got screwed by a rhinoceros but elephino what came out.

So, you're going to base one unsubstantiated example of an unknown supercharger to make the ascertion that all S2000s make 230 whp from a blower? What's really cool, is that you got a couple of other guys buying into it. Keep up the good work.

A properly installed Comptech or Vortech aftercooled kit for an S2000 has been proven repeatedly to dyno between 280 to 310 whp right out of the box. Tuned, with AEM EMS and bigger injectors, they can punch out 350 whp and be perfectly reliable daily drivers.
    I personally have ridden in a Vortech S2000 dynoed at 450 whp (from SoCal) that the guy has had for some years now and he drives it daily. Oh, that's with stock internals and an Alanis head.
    I've been at the Comptech factory in Sacramento when a friend's S2000 dynoed at 280 whp on an otherwise stock car. I've driven it and with my 4.44 FD gears, mine is much stronger.
    230 whp? What did the guy have in it? A Turbonator with a Black and Decker leaf blower?

Originally posted by xviper

By your screen name, I won't rag on a fellow "countryman" too badly, however, this view (and some of the others you have displayed in this thread) is outdated and possibly based on a lack of knowledge of modern day engine mechanics.
    An S2000 is designed to rev high as a natural way of things. It has Fiber Re-inforced Metal (read: Carbon Fiber) cylinder liners to withstand such high piston speeds. For it to run at 4000 rpm or even 5000 rpm all day long, every day, is not a stupendous feat. Afterall, it is running at only about 1/2 of it's redline limit.
    Would you think it strange for an engine to run all day long at 2500 rpm when its designed redline was 5000 rpm? I think not. Everything is relative.
    It may not be something "you" would want to do, but it makes no difference to an S2000 engine. Those who own them, do it all the time. Don't allow your knowledge and experience of other cars mislead you into making bad assumptions or statements about a car you seem to know very little about.

As for threads like this, you are right. They are pointless except to bring out statements by those who know little to nothing about the subject upon which they expound. What they "think" and what they've "heard" is a far cry from what is fact.
    Thanks Did you even read what I posted? I never said that running a honda engine at 4000rpm or 5000rpm was harmful to the engine in anyway. I just said that's the outcome of changing the final drive ratio.

When I had the type-r engine in my CRX with the 4.4 final drive, I was revving at 4500rpm at 120km/h and it was fine. And the car hadn't even started to make any torque yet. The powerband was between 6500 and 9500. The car loved to rev, but wouldn't go anywhere unless you revved it to redline.
    Last edited by rc2002; 08-02-2006 at 09:28 AM.

"Such a large final drive would have you revving at 4000rpm on the highway. Definitely not something you want to do for a daily driver."

So why don't you explain why it wouldn't be good for daily driving if you're not suggesting that it isn't bad for the engine?

Did you even read what I posted? I never said that running a honda engine at 4000rpm or 5000rpm was harmful to the engine in anyway. I just said that's the outcome of changing the final drive ratio.

When I had the type-r engine in my CRX with the 4.4 final drive, I was revving at 4500rpm at 120km/h and it was fine. And the car hadn't even started to make any torque yet. The powerband was between 6500 and 9500. The car was made to rev, I revved it to redline on a regular basis to make it go anywhere.
    Bay Area Dreamin'
    Cruisin' in Cowtown
    10' IS F

It was annoying. The noise level was way different between 4500 and even 3500 rpm. Gas mileage was the pits revving so high at such a low speed. I noticed a huge change in gas mileage by just driving a bit slower on the highway.

Did you have a 5sp matched with the Type R engine?
    If it was a 6sp then it isn't a big deal to just shift up.

Did you also run a loud exhaust?

It was annoying. The noise level was way different between 4500 and even 3500 rpm. Gas mileage was the pits revving so high at such a low speed. I noticed a huge change in gas mileage by just driving a bit slower on the highway.
    Bay Area Dreamin'
    Cruisin' in Cowtown
    10' IS F

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Thanks Did you even read what I posted? I never said that running a honda engine at 4000rpm or 5000rpm was harmful to the engine in anyway. I just said that's the outcome of changing the final drive ratio.
    Yes, I read every word you posted. In fact, Silverstreak quoted it again. Would you like me to quote it "again"?

Definitely not something you want to do for a daily driver.
    Perhaps you should have said, "Definitely not something I want to do for a daily driver." Because this would be a function of "YOU", not necessarily anyone else or of the car itself.
    FYI, When I had stock gearing, I was able to get 39.9 mpg hiway with the S2000. After the 4.44s and supercharger, my mileage went down to 35.9 mpg. I can live with it.
    Oh, and torque was NEVER an issue. I know how and when to downshift when I need to get up and go.

I'm pretty much done with this thread. There are so many pre-conceived dumb ideas about S2000s here and so little time to set them straight. It's not my problem.
    http://smiley.smileycentral.com/down...5_ZNxdm799IGCA

My Ride
    2003 350z

Originally posted by SilverStreak

So yes ban these types of thread before more misinformation is spread. Drive the cars you want to consider and leave it at that.
    I don't think so,i appreciate your opinion....with a grain of salt .thats what these boards are all about if you know the information is wrong say somthing so that right information is out there.
    My post earlier was a personal experience and should be also taken with a grain of salt. my taste may not be the same as yours.
    The topic was"s2000 or 350z"and was open to any opinions and i believe thats what the original poster wanted.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I would think the 4000rpm cruise would be more of a noise issue than a reliability issue, which it might be, who knows? Elise owners are also pretty annoyed with the cruising sound of their Toyota 4-cyls with short gears, more than a few keep earplugs in their car for highway trips. Of course, an S2000 has more deadening than an Elise.

Richard's point is that it's annoying to have to take a car past 6000rpm to really get anywhere. My car as it is now has more than 300lb-ft of torque starting at 2200rpm and going to 5000rpm. I can hit the gas and get up and go from almost any speed in any gear. It's really quite fantastic.
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

By your screen name, I won't rag on a fellow "countryman" too badly
    Aren't we all Canadian with the exception of a couple of Americans on this site?

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I think he's saying something about the Chan family name

I posted above and then when the page loaded to view it you had already posted. Weird.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

Originally posted by SilverStreak
    Did you have a 5sp matched with the Type R engine?
    If it was a 6sp then it isn't a big deal to just shift up.

Did you also run a loud exhaust?

It was a 5spd and I had a good sized resonator plus a catalytic converter. The exhaust wasn't that loud, but even in a stock car there'll be more vibration and more noise as rpm climbs.

Perhaps you should have said, "Definitely not something I want to do for a daily driver." Because this would be a function of "YOU", not necessarily anyone else or of the car itself.
    FYI, When I had stock gearing, I was able to get 39.9 mpg hiway with the S2000. After the 4.44s and supercharger, my mileage went down to 35.9 mpg. I can live with it.
    Oh, and torque was NEVER an issue. I know how and when to downshift when I need to get up and go.
    Like blue_Zed said, this is a forum and it's inherent that any posts are to be taken as opinions and nothing more. I'll reword it: For MY daily driver I would want it quiet and comfortable with the best ride quality possible. Any additonal vibration or noise wouldn't sit well with me. Plus at these gas prices, I'd want to squeeze every last mile out of my car.

Originally posted by iceburns288

Richard's point is that it's annoying to have to take a car past 6000rpm to really get anywhere. My car as it is now has more than 300lb-ft of torque starting at 2200rpm and going to 5000rpm. I can hit the gas and get up and go from almost any speed in any gear. It's really quite fantastic.
    Exactly. My point from the get-go was that you can mash the throttle in any gear and go. You don't have to downshift in a 350Z. But at the same time, you give up the high end that you get with an S2000. So it's more of a luxurious feel than a sporty feel.

Don't get me wrong - even after all this arguing I'm an S2000 fan too, I was looking at buying an S2000 for the longest time, and I'm still tempted to buy one.

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

350z, better choice over the S2k and the G35c. The G35c has a slightly wider wheel base, but its a boat! I'd suggest the 350z, but think about a supercharger kit as well before jumping into the TT kit. The Stillen S/C kit will still put out quiet a bit of hp (probably around 375-400bhp) on a stock 350z. But it would be your choice, I know if I had a 350z I'd definately go with the Twin setup, but some people perfer a supercharger

My Ride
    2003 350z

Don't get me wrong - even after all this arguing I'm an S2000 fan too, I was looking at buying an S2000 for the longest time, and I'm still tempted to buy one.
    same here it's definitely a different beast(to me anyways) from the Z.

It was annoying.
    What you said reminds me of something I read on s2ki.com. It was about a guy who sold his s2000 because everytime he revved his car over 6000rpm it sounded like it was gonna blow up.

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

It depends on what you want, I have driven an S2K before, and this one was turbo charged, and its fast, and was a blast to drive, but i mean it is loud and you have to rev it rather high, the S2K i found did not have much room, but I am not a big guy so for me its not a big deal, after driving the S2K i would definately consider getting one, tho i would like to drive a stock one too. As for the 350 Z, I have never driven it, so i don't know much about the car, on paper it looks to be a better daily driver, but then again i am not sure, your best bet is to test drive both and see which you like better, both nissan and honda have good reputations, so i am sure you will be happy with either one, good luck on the search

My Ride
    Vista Cruiser

You guys with your concerns with low torque and high engine RPM's: you haven't ridden a crotch-rocket motorcycle have you??

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast