Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Garage packages in Calgary?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Garage packages in Calgary?

    Has anybody done some searching around for garage packages and pricing? Who is good? Anybody besides Totem?

    I talk to Burnco and the cement for a big pad costs $1500, but you talk to the guys to come and crib it up and it costs $6000 for a pad. How the hell does that work?

    Any reccomendations of guys who do it all even?

    I'm looking for either a big 2 car garage or perhaps 3 car garage.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Red Deer
    My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram
    Posts
    836
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    The Home Depot does em.

    1-800-79-DEPOT

    Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

  3. #3
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,315
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Garage packages in Calgary?

    Originally posted by whatthe
    Has anybody done some searching around for garage packages and pricing? Who is good? Anybody besides Totem?

    I talk to Burnco and the cement for a big pad costs $1500, but you talk to the guys to come and crib it up and it costs $6000 for a pad. How the hell does that work?

    Any reccomendations of guys who do it all even?

    I'm looking for either a big 2 car garage or perhaps 3 car garage.
    chances are burnco's price was just to pour it... the other guys probbably included filling with crush, tamping, cribbing, installing rebar, pouring and finishing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    POS
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Garage packages are easily 2x the price of the material to build a garage and ordering your trusses seperate.
    If you do the work for the pad yourself and can find concrete you can get it for around 1500 and pay someone another 200 to finish it. Or around 5k if you dont want to do any work.

    framing will be around 3-5 g depending how big and who does it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yeah burnco was just for the cement, it just seemed steep to go triple the price from there to have the rest of the pad done. Perhaps I underestimate the cost of the wood/rebar etc..

    Anybody have some reccomendations of guys that I should get a quote from for garage pad and garage building?

    I would like to have the pad poured, garage up with walls, siding, roof, etc. for 12k-15k. After the pad, I don't care how much I have to do myself. I'm just wondering how much of it I can get someone else to build including materials for that budget.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    POS
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by whatthe
    Yeah burnco was just for the cement, it just seemed steep to go triple the price from there to have the rest of the pad done. Perhaps I underestimate the cost of the wood/rebar etc..

    Anybody have some reccomendations of guys that I should get a quote from for garage pad and garage building?

    I would like to have the pad poured, garage up with walls, siding, roof, etc. for 12k-15k. After the pad, I don't care how much I have to do myself. I'm just wondering how much of it I can get someone else to build including materials for that budget.
    Its not just the material, its time. why does someone want to make you a pad/garage for cheap when there is lots of $$$ out there.

    Did they say they could even do it? Most places are stupid busy.

    if your looking to get all that done your looking at least 15 and up for pad,framed,siding, and roofed. not including garage door opener. also depending on size 15k might be enough, or it might just be enough to get it framed and roofed.

    I know someone that could probably help you out

  7. #7
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,315
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally posted by nusneak

    Its not just the material, its time. why does someone want to make you a pad/garage for cheap when there is lots of $$$ out there.

    Did they say they could even do it? Most places are stupid busy.

    if your looking to get all that done your looking at least 15 and up for pad,framed,siding, and roofed. not including garage door opener. also depending on size 15k might be enough, or it might just be enough to get it framed and roofed.

    I know someone that could probably help you out
    he just said that he is willing to do some of the work if it would keep it under 15k.

    some stuff is pretty basic, like plywood and hanging drywall, you could probably save a few bucks by ding that stuff yourself.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    http://www.carshacks.com/

    Its a Calgary company that specializes in residential garages. I don't know if their prices are high or low. Why don't you call them and find out?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Good Luck getting plywood in a garage here in Calgary.

    Too Expensive.

    You will get that fibre board stuff like all the new houses do.

    Drywall usually isn't included in the garage package either.

    The Basis setup included door,shingle,siding and one/two windows depending on the size.

    I believe eaves are an add on.

    I belioeve car-shacks is very expensive. But check em out just for the comparison to doing it yourself.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    V8 S4
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally posted by Tyler883
    http://www.carshacks.com/

    Its a Calgary company that specializes in residential garages. I don't know if their prices are high or low. Why don't you call them and find out?
    They are good, I would say they are on the upper end of garage build quality and price.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    02 Accord
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I deal with this stuff every day. Your cheapest garage package price is available at TOTEM or STAR BUILDING MATERIALS

    I'll give you my contacts, they'll get anyone on here a good price...

    TOTEM - Barry Potter (403) 247-5599
    STAR - Kurt Westergard (403) 290-3345

    Make sure you tell them Richard from CALCANA sent ya before they tranfer you. I can get you a REALLY good deal on conreate too ... but only call me if your serious or ready... cause I gotta pull some strings. 777-0808

    If you like I can get that garage of yours heated aswell with the most effective and efficient heater in the world... check www.calcana.com

    Richard Celovsky
    Marketing & Sales Coordinator
    Calcana Industries.
    www.calcana.com
    [email protected]
    1(800)778-6729

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the helpful reply. I am serious and I can get it rolling at any time. I will try both places to get some pricing on the package, and go from there. I have worked in the trades before however nothing to do with cement. I will probably end up even doing hte structure with a friend to save some money. I wanted to talk to someone about what things I should or should not build into the pad (anybody have reccomendations here? I phoned some places and realized how green I am in this area because I had no clue what they were asking if I wanted included). Unfortunately with the money being spent out there, it is hard to find a place that wants to answer a question before taking your money right now.

    If you can save me money on other items to get heat in the garage, I am definetely open ears. I will use the garage mostly for projects vs. having a place to park a car that nothing fun happens to. Some heat to keep the projects going in the winter would be good. I wouldn't mind talking about operating cost difference between the propane and natural gas setup. I would have to run a seperate service for the gas line out back, and I'm not sure if the initial cost would be worth it. I am just off Glenmore east of Calgary in Langdon btw so we are under Rockyview code guidelines. Not sure how they differ from Calgary.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    POS
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by EnRich
    I deal with this stuff every day. Your cheapest garage package price is available at TOTEM or STAR BUILDING MATERIALS

    I'll give you my contacts, they'll get anyone on here a good price...

    TOTEM - Barry Potter (403) 247-5599
    STAR - Kurt Westergard (403) 290-3345

    Make sure you tell them Richard from CALCANA sent ya before they tranfer you. I can get you a REALLY good deal on conreate too ... but only call me if your serious or ready... cause I gotta pull some strings. 777-0808

    If you like I can get that garage of yours heated aswell with the most effective and efficient heater in the world... check www.calcana.com

    Richard Celovsky
    Marketing & Sales Coordinator
    Calcana Industries.
    www.calcana.com
    [email protected]
    1(800)778-6729
    Like I mentioned above garage packages are around 5 grand and if you buy the materials yourself it wont even be 2 grand.

    My dad just build a complete 24x26 garage w/ the best concrete you can get/rebar, siding, roofed, 3 skylights, 6 roof vents, 3 of the best pella windows avail all for around 5k. He got all the drywall to do the inside of his garage for 100% free for brand new 12ft lengths He also gots one of the best garage door openers you can get ($500) and an almost commercial door (commerial are really expensive)

    I want to see anyone try and match that, your pad should be close to 5k if you dont do the work yourself.
    and if you order a package the package alone to build the garage and put the roof on will be around 5k, not including skylights or power, or drywall or siding or garage door.

    Do 15 minutes of research and find out what you get in a garage package, then try getting a price list for everything seperate. Order your wood for the walls/headers, and you order your trusses somewhere else, even on the custom trusses my dad got they were under $50/truss!

    BTW: I also do heating for a living and would not really recommend an IR heater, sure they work good and make lots of heat, but it is very directed (under the shield mostly) and they often require service. I'm going to install a unit heater in the far upper corner of my dads garage.
    And a gas line costs around $1800 to run about 25-30 feet unless your doing it yourself.
    Last edited by nusneak; 07-23-2006 at 10:33 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Given that it will be my first time building a garage, I could use the directions that come with the kit. If you have a BOM from your dads garage (minus skylights and such), definetely pm or post. I think a friend of mine has a program at his work that will automatically generate a BOM for these kind of things as well. Hmmm.... Unfortunately I know zero about cribbing and other related issues, and these things are always more expensive when doing it yourself the first time. I can build myself a turbo kit from a bunch of piping, grab used injectors, turbo, bov, intercooler, and tune the final setup with a wideband and dyno if neccessary, etc. etc. for a fraction of the price that someone who is doing it the first time will be able to. But, it will still take me time. I don't mind being paid for my time, and I don't mind paying others for their time.

    I have pricing from a place already for a 26x30, 9 foot instead of 8, including siding, drywall, roof, garage door and opener, etc. etc.. I wasn't terribly motivated to start sourcing everything myself, but if the cost difference is that severe, it is something I will look at. I'm still screwed in the cement dept.

    I don't mind directed heating, if it was up to me and not the wife, I would probably only heat areas with pipes and a few rooms in our house that we actually use during the winter. My bro-in-law is a journyeman of sorts with this stuff, I will see if he has some ideas as well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Two things I think you should consider:

    1) go tall, my 10 foot walls added maybe $400 to the totem pkg that I bought

    2)go heavier on the sheeting, everyone will tell you that you only need 3/8" OSB(and they aren't BSing you) but 7/16 sheeting was only 20 cents per sheet more - not a big cost item on 20-40 sheets of OSB.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    POS
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Tyler883
    Two things I think you should consider:

    1) go tall, my 10 foot walls added maybe $400 to the totem pkg that I bought...
    Do take into consideration how high you are allowed to go, my dad got custom trusses to match the vaulted ceiling in the house to go higher on the walls. I think total height allowable is 15 ft, iirc.

    Its easy to figure out what you need, however I am not a framer. Probably anyone with any experience can tell you what you need. 2x4 walls probably, 16" on center so you figure out how big you are going, then you need headers and stuff.

    Seriously my dad has always bought garage packages for all the garages he has ever built, and once he priced it out himself he could not believe it.

    It's not like its a secret what you need, you can probably even goto totem and get a 'quote' on a garage package or whatever then order the lumber from totem or home depot and get your trusses from wherever has them in stock at a good price or wherever can build them quick at a good price if you are going custom.

    I'll ask my dad for a break down of pricing and final price it cost him to complete everything when he gets home.

    Since you know someone in heating that gas line should be relativly cheap, the 1 meter deep trench will be the biggest part, my brother got his installed for free a total of like 45ft of that very expensive flexible gas line :P
    Last edited by nusneak; 07-24-2006 at 09:31 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    02 Accord
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Calcana's IR heaters heat the entire garage man... I'm talking melting the snow and ice off your cars, and keeping your floors warm and dry at the same time. 6 - 12 min your ENTIRE garage is warm, we're not just talking a section... heres the thing... My IR heater is about 40 - 50% more efficient then your forced air setup. If your not planning in-floor heat, go IR man. check out our website

    www.calcana.com

    I'll even give you a tour of the factory if you want to see just how effective these things can be, in an open and closed environment.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yeah, I think 15ft is the height limit in langdon as well. Let me know what your dad says for sure.

    My brother-in-law says Calcana is good and he has hooked up a lot of them. In floor heating would be nice, but it goes back to cost.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    For a rubberstamped garage permit, the limits are something like 15 feet at the ridge of the roof,

    and the bottom of the eaves must 10 feet of less, that is why most people build a 9'10" wall like totem recommends, because a 9'10" wall garantees that you are under the 10' mark with your eaves.


    Of course, you can always build higher but it would require a developers permit instead of a typical garage permit. Sorry, I don't know anything about developers permits, but if you go to the city of calgary website, you can find a pdf file on garages.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    POS
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by EnRich
    Calcana's IR heaters heat the entire garage man... I'm talking melting the snow and ice off your cars, and keeping your floors warm and dry at the same time. 6 - 12 min your ENTIRE garage is warm, we're not just talking a section... heres the thing... My IR heater is about 40 - 50% more efficient then your forced air setup. If your not planning in-floor heat, go IR man. check out our website

    www.calcana.com

    I'll even give you a tour of the factory if you want to see just how effective these things can be, in an open and closed environment.
    I've probably installed more of those damn things then you can shake a stick at. I know exactly what they are and how they work. I've only seen one in a residental garage and it did not do the best job heating the garage when I was in there. That and it was v.expensive, and in my experience I've never seen an IR heater make heat like your talking about.
    Where ever the shield is pointed will have radiating heat coming down from above it, if in fact your IR's do work that well I dont know wth my buddy got installed from arpis because that sure seems like every other IR I have installed.
    Last edited by nusneak; 07-25-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

    By fordo_11 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
  2. shipping big heavy packages internationally

    By BumpinTalon in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
  3. Tuning Packages Over Priced? Please help

    By Spooned in forum Performance Modifications
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 04-02-2004, 10:25 PM
  4. old skool Garbage Pail Kids/Wacky Packages

    By maximus in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 12-30-2003, 03:31 AM
  5. Best place for shipping large packages?

    By AutodreamMarvin in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 11-14-2003, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •