Quantcast
volvo s40 T5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: volvo s40 T5

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default volvo s40 T5

Thinking about picking up a 2004+ S40 T5.

Opinions?

AWD or FWD?

Easy to mod?

Problem areas?
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

How much would it cost you? If we know that we can judge if we think it would be good by what else you could get for the money.

Mark

My Ride
    Mazda 3

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    How much would it cost you? If we know that we can judge if we think it would be good by what else you could get for the money.

Mark
    I don't see what cost has to do with it. He is interested in the opinions on the S40, not what you think he should buy.

BOT:

I like the S40 T5. I was thinking about getting one but I found it a little peaky with the boost. Also, the resale is horrible. That is a good thing if you are buying used.

I would go AWD, but that is just me.

I liked the interior of the S40. It was different and wasn't that cheap looking for an entry level Volvo.

My understanding is that Volvo's aren't that easy to mod as there isn't really that much aftermarket support.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

I would be buying a 2004. I prefer AWD but not if there is a huge fuel penalty or reliability problems.

Also was considering a Subaru Legacy.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

what year and model of legacy?

Originally posted by benyl

I don't see what cost has to do with it. He is interested in the opinions on the S40, not what you think he should buy.

BOT:

I like the S40 T5. I was thinking about getting one but I found it a little peaky with the boost. Also, the resale is horrible. That is a good thing if you are buying used.

I would go AWD, but that is just me.

I liked the interior of the S40. It was different and wasn't that cheap looking for an entry level Volvo.

My understanding is that Volvo's aren't that easy to mod as there isn't really that much aftermarket support.

My opinion on the car would be heavily influenced by what else you could get for the money. The S40 is a good little car, but if there was a chance I could get something I would like more, I sure would like to know. If I like something, I dont just go out and buy it...I start there and then look arouind and maybe there is something better, so maybe there is something he likes more that he doesn't know about yet because he didn't know it was in his price range. I'm just trying to help him out - I thought it was a good question to ask him. Why not help educate him on the S40 as well as make him aware of all options? I know I'd appreciate that if I were in his shoes.

Mark
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-25-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Riced Volvos are still comparatively rare around here I think, so if you get one and put a big spoiler on it or whatever I'm sure it will turn heads. I say go for it.

Buy a black M3 twin kidney bean grill, put it on, and hey presto, a turbocharged BMW 325/325xi with nicer, more traditional square BMW lines(like the 330ci) and a much nicer interior. Put on the big wing and you can tell the girls it's a 325 Type R.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by tentacles
    Riced Volvos are still comparatively rare around here I think, so if you get one and put a big spoiler on it or whatever I'm sure it will turn heads. I say go for it.

Buy a black M3 twin kidney bean grill, put it on, and hey presto, a turbocharged BMW 325/325xi with nicer, more traditional square BMW lines(like the 330ci) and a much nicer interior. Put on the big wing and you can tell the girls it's a 325 Type R.
    don't be a moron. Thanks for staying on topic.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I looked at the S40s as well. Cool little cars but once I drove the Legacy/WRX I was convinced on the subarus. Only reason I chose the WRX over Legacy was that Legacy was a little too grown up for me still and because the wrx was a little more raw. In all honesty legacy is a better car than the WRX overall for only 1200 bux more.

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
    Also was considering a Subaru Legacy.
    The 2005+ Legacy GT is a fantastic car, and compared to the S40 T5, would blow its socks off. Its not only a lot faster but less expensive (comparitively equipped) as well.

Resale value and reliability of the Subaru would probably be better than the Volvo as well, and it is a larger car so you'd have a bit more rear passenger room.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Problem with the LGT is fuel consumption. Prepare yourself for 18/25 mpg if you have an average foot. Even less than that if you have a heavy foot.

Originally posted by benyl
    Problem with the LGT is fuel consumption. Prepare yourself for 18/25 mpg if you have an average foot. Even less than that if you have a heavy foot.
    Well, that is definitely true. But worth it IMO for the fun factor of that car. (my 400+hp Z gets similar gas mileage).

It was a concern for my wife however, which was one of the reasons we didn't end up buying one last summer when shopping for her new car.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

lots of good info. I'll definitely look at the legacy as well.

Any opinions on the awd S40?

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Well, I have a 2003 V40 with the 1.9L Turbo. Not exactly the same car, but pretty close.

No real issues with reliability. A couple of minor things (such as a door lock that stuck when it was cold) that have been covered under warranty.

The power on the 1.9L is adequate for everyday driving. The T5 should have plenty of power.

Very nice ride and handling. This is car is very close to what you would expect from a 3-series or Lexus IS (despite being way cheaper). It is very sporty and fun to drive, but also very comfortable.

Depreciation is horrible. I would never buy new unless you were planning on keeping the car for 10 years or something like that.

The back seats have very tight leg room. I often have to move the driver seat forward when someone sits behind it.

Both the headlights and driving lights are real glass. I've had my car for just under a year and I have already smashed both driving lights and one headlight from gravel and rocks being. Before you do anything else, get 3M put on them.

Parts are rediculously expensive. However, there are suppliers through the internet (US based for the most part), and a wrecking yard in California that will save you a fortune. To give you an idea of how they rip you off on parts: the headlight glass is held on by clips. Valentine Volvo won't sell you just the glass, you have to buy the entire unit for around $550! (although I found a place in BC that would sell it for $350). So, I ordered replacement glass through an internet dealer that cost me $150 US and I did it myself. Still incredibly expensive (when you consider an entire windshield doesn't cost much more installed), but not nearly as bad as what the dealer would charge.

There is definitely an aftermarket for performance parts, but it is pretty limited in selection. The prices don't seem out of line compared to other cars though.

Overall, I think they are really nice cars and are comparable to other performance near-luxury cars that are quite a bit more expensive.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Very nice ride and handling. This is car is very close to what you would expect from a 3-series or Lexus IS (despite being way cheaper).
    Do you mean new or slightly used? I just checked volvo.ca and I think the new prices for S40 are pretty close to 3 series (not sure about lexus), to within 2 or 3 thousand?

Mihgt be cheaper slightly used but there really isn't much selection in town.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Rocky: thanx again dude. that helps a lot.

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Originally posted by tentacles

Do you mean new or slightly used? I just checked volvo.ca and I think the new prices for S40 are pretty close to 3 series (not sure about lexus), to within 2 or 3 thousand?

Mihgt be cheaper slightly used but there really isn't much selection in town.
    Thats right. I bought my car used, and I assume that Gripenfelter
    is doing the same thing (as he is asking about a 2005). I bought my 2003 loaded (leather and everything) for just under $23K, although I was really grinding the salesman at Valentine. I also got a really good financing rate on the loan as they were doing a promotion at the time. It is pretty much impossible to find an IS or 3-series for anywhere near that price without going much older.

However, from purely a resale standpoint, I would not buy a new S40 over a 3-series or IS. The extra few thousand you pay up front for one of those cars will more than pay for itself when it comes time to sell.