Quantcast
China travel ban - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: China travel ban

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    11

    Default China travel ban

    We've been planning a trip to China for the summer and theres been a lot of talk about a travel ban happening. I know theres no for sure answer but what are your guys thoughts on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    3,465
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    My point of view is the odds of something happening (i.e. being detained for one reason or another) are super slim... but there's still a chance of it happening. Is it worth the risk? Not for me. Lots of other neat places in the world to visit, pick another place for this year and try China again at a time when there's not controversial things happening

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,841
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Doubt there will be a full ban and even if there was it doesn't stop people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,787
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Just buy good travel insurance, worst case you end up somewhere else fun and exciting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70
    Posts
    992
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Don't smuggle drugs and you should be fine...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    As long as you are useless to the Chinese government, you should be ok.

    BTW, it's not travel ban but advisory.
    https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

    This is nothing new, we were late to this party. US put same warning up Jan 3rd.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

    China knows this will happen when you put a foreign citizen on death roll. That's why that dude got off easy with 15 years, should have shut up and serve it. If he's Chinese, he's dead already.

    That said, I believe you probably shouldn't advertise you are Canadian when you are there. Common perception on the street has downgraded a bit since the CFO arrest if social media to be believed.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-15-2019 at 02:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    ^^Thanks for the correction. I just read the article on the guy about to get executed and he smuggled almost 500lbs of meth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport
    Posts
    2,706
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    If the guy did what they said he did, than he knew the risks involved, probably made ton of $$$$ while at it, and thus the penalty is just. I don't know all the details but not sure what's wrong with him getting this penalty...why does Canada care if he is a criminal?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,787
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the guy did what they said he did, than he knew the risks involved, probably made ton of $$$$ while at it, and thus the penalty is just. I don't know all the details but not sure what's wrong with him getting this penalty...why does Canada care if he is a criminal?
    Cause he is a Canadian so Canada would want his punishment to match Canadian law for the crime... and since we don’t have the death penalty it’s a big deal... but also cause Canada is just weak on crime in general. I know someone who served 10 months of a 4 year sentence for coming into the country with about 3kg of blow strapped to her body

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,841
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cause he is a Canadian so Canada would want his punishment to match Canadian law for the crime.
    I've never understood this attitude, and it's widespread.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,787
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never understood this attitude, and it's widespread.
    I guess borders don’t mean what they use to... but yeah sorta like the issue of extradition, but in reverse?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    i wouldn't step foot in china at the moment but that's just me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the guy did what they said he did, than he knew the risks involved, probably made ton of $$$$ while at it, and thus the penalty is just. I don't know all the details but not sure what's wrong with him getting this penalty...why does Canada care if he is a criminal?
    In this case, I believe the guy got what he deserved. He's a lifelong drug trafficker and has been convicted in Canada in 2012 as well. How the hell he got a Chinese VISA is beyond me. And really, people who travel in Asia gotta knows that penalty for drug trafficking in most jurisdictions is death.

    While China's court system is a joke, I don't think they take executing foreigners lightly. And he just became useful to teach Canada a lesson when we decided to apply our law fully, so will they.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i wouldn't step foot in china at the moment but that's just me.
    Well, China may be pissed but we currently applied the same rating to UK and France travels as well but for different reason.

    I think if you already planned to go and paid, go and behave. If you have not planned anything, wait a few years when this blows over. There's plenty of Asia to see other than China.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-16-2019 at 10:34 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    i agree the risk is very low if you are generally well behaved, but for me it's out of principle too. i'm a canadian first so i won't be spending tourism dollars with countries that we aren't on good terms with. (for the record i don't care too much about the situation with this drug smuggling guy...pretty sure he is guilty; more around the other two). Same with Saudi Arabia, although admittedly it's never been on my list for tourism anyways. I have always wanted to visit China though.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,841
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm a canadian first so i won't be spending tourism dollars with countries that we aren't on good terms with.
    like the USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    like the USA?
    Avoid if I can for now, since I'm a security risk according to Trump lol.

    But really, I'm taking advantage of the low Japanese/Euro/Pound and get the those long distances ones done before I start to hate 10+ hrs in a metal tube.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the guy did what they said he did, than he knew the risks involved, probably made ton of $$$$ while at it, and thus the penalty is just. I don't know all the details but not sure what's wrong with him getting this penalty...why does Canada care if he is a criminal?
    I agree, he got off easy with 15 years for what he did. He had 2 prior convictions for trafficking too so its not like he was some naive guy who got duped into carrying a loaded suit case. Just read china executed some British guy for only 8lbs


    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm taking advantage of the low Japanese/Euro/Pound and get the those long distances ones done before I start to hate 10+ hrs in a metal tube.
    Funny you say that because we were looking last night and tokyo is a front runner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd
    Posts
    473
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I don't see why we are wasting efforts on this guy. 500lbs of meth is a serious offence in any country
    That's probably peanuts to what he was doing locally. Why waste more taxpayer money on a guy that's just going to re-offend

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why we are wasting efforts on this guy. 500lbs of meth is a serious offence in any country
    That's probably peanuts to what he was doing locally. Why waste more taxpayer money on a guy that's just going to re-offend
    username checks out


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny you say that because we were looking last night and tokyo is a front runner
    Don't need VISA compared to China. Uber clean. People are courteous and if you want to party, just bullet train your ass to Osaka and it's quite lively.

    Chinese VISA requirement now is quite a hassle and expensive. They also fingerprint you like criminals now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trump to Attorney General who defied his travel ban: You're fired

    By googe in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 128
    Latest Threads: 02-16-2017, 08:13 PM
  2. China Airlines vs Air China (YYC to DPS)

    By cam_wmh in forum Travel and Vacation
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 06-04-2012, 01:22 AM
  4. China's housing boom spells trouble for boyfriends (being single in China sucks)

    By 911fever in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 50
    Latest Threads: 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •