Quantcast
car shipping from the USA? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: car shipping from the USA?

My Ride
    honda civic, yamaha vstar 650 custom

Default car shipping from the USA?

how much would it cost to ship a 1995 nissan 240sx with no motor and trans to from pennsylvania to alberta? How much import duites would it cost? Are cars from pennsylvania any good ie do the use salt on the roads? What modifications would need to be made to make the vehicle legal in Canada?
    If the vehicle is $2000 can i get the vehicle to alberta, put in a used motor and transmission (doing the work myself), get it legal and roadworthy (assuming the motor and transmission and legally required modifications are the only problems) for under $5500?
    any adice would be great

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

My Ride
    91 Mr Not

Default Re: car shipping from the USA?

Originally posted by timsthetim
    how much would it cost to ship a 1995 nissan 240sx with no motor and trans to from pennsylvania to alberta? How much import duites would it cost? Are cars from pennsylvania any good ie do the use salt on the roads? What modifications would need to be made to make the vehicle legal in Canada?
    If the vehicle is $2000 can i get the vehicle to alberta, put in a used motor and transmission (doing the work myself), get it legal and roadworthy (assuming the motor and transmission and legally required modifications are the only problems) for under $5500?
    any adice would be great
    At that distance, shipping could be as high as $2000 or more. Finding a satisfactory shipper could be an issue. Also, because your vehicle has no engine or trans they will charge you more because they can't drive your vehicle on and off the carrier - a big deal because the vehicle may switch trucks or have to be loaded and unloaded a few times. You need to as well pay your RIV fee and GST at the border. The rest, mostly lighting, speedo, bumpers, etc.. is straight forward. You will have to pass inspection here. If your car has a salvage title you have a year but if not then only 45 days to get it up to snuff. It's all doable but your $5500 target might be unrealistic when you factor in ALL of the costs.

Good luck...

My Ride
    honda civic, yamaha vstar 650 custom

thanks for the info guys