Quantcast
Octane Boosters? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Octane Boosters?

My Ride
    R32 Skyline, S13 Silvia

Default Octane Boosters?

Are octane boosters really worth all they are said to be?
    if so what is the best brand to buy? somthing you can buy from canadian tire. or am I better off to just buy race fuel?
    Jason D.

My Ride
    A Hobo

octane boosters are a joke . but race fuel? you could just try getting a real tune . pump octane will exceed the ammount of power your stock block will hold anyway .

My Ride
    fg2

i forget exactly, but i thought i remembered reading something like a bottle of octane booster raises your overall octane by 0.1 or something along those lines

My Ride
    2003 350z

Default Re: Octane Boosters?

Originally posted by DragZilla
    Are octane boosters really worth all they are said to be?
    if so what is the best brand to buy? somthing you can buy from canadian tire. or am I better off to just buy race fuel?
    what did you hear?

if it's for a stock car useless.

My Ride
    SRT

get 1 galon toluene jugs from rona for $17 if you want to experiment with higher octane... use 15-20% on regular 91 to get close to 94 octane....

i used this in my stage3 srt4 and i can feel the extra timing right away... now i just use racefuel (vp109) since it's cheaper in bulk ($2.50/L), but if i was on a roadtrip and bought bad gas, i'd dump in a gallon of this stuff in an instant ... 40%-50% of racegas IS toluene, so you can use it without worries

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

mixing toulene in with regular gasoline is a exothermic reaction tho... gives off a lot of heat. Be careful or something bad will happen.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Meh, try it out for yourself...some people think that they're amazing and some people (like me) think they don't do shit.

My Ride
    A Hobo

i wonder how your o2 sensors like it lol

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by b_t
    mixing toulene in with regular gasoline is a exothermic reaction tho... gives off a lot of heat. Be careful or something bad will happen.

50% of my racegas (vp109) is toluene and it has the smell to prove it... you already have toluene in regular gas too so please, have a clue before you post

Originally posted by atomic
    i wonder how your o2 sensors like it lol
    lol, are you laughing at yourself? you should... toluene has no ill effect on your sensors, since like i said, its a major ingredient in pump gas to begin with

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Originally posted by b_t

Watch out ...you might get vigorous explosions in the combustion chamber
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    2000 Civic SI, 1990 Skyline GTR

I used octane booster for my GTR adn to tell you the truth it felt a but smoother but nothing significant. When i get my car back I am just gonna tune ti on 91 Octane, that is your best, and cheapest, way to go.

Brett
    OOSKYLINEOO

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I use Toluene or Xylene.. (114 vs.117 octane) my car loves it!

Not really worth it....

The problem is one bottle into a "tank" of gas means different amounts of gas each itme u fill up as u will never get the exact same amount of gas each time, so the octane rating will never be the same.

Your better off finding the few 94 octane places in Calgary, filling up there and getting a tune for 94.

My Ride
    A Hobo

Originally posted by riceeater

50% of my racegas (vp109) is toluene and it has the smell to prove it... you already have toluene in regular gas too so please, have a clue before you post

lol, are you laughing at yourself? you should... toluene has no ill effect on your sensors, since like i said, its a major ingredient in pump gas to begin with
    hmm i had no idea . i did a search you're absolutely right . thanx for the info . (http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html)

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by atomic

hmm i had no idea . i did a search you're absolutely right . thanx for the info . (http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html)
    cool cool... sorry for being bitchy then

b_T on the oder hand just made it to my signature... i've been noticing lately he's been taking shots at me in threads, but couldnt remember exactly at what point i pissed him off
    Last edited by riceeater; 10-08-2006 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by riceeater

cool cool... sorry for being bitchy then

b_T on the oder hand just made it to my signature... i've been noticing lately he's been taking shots at me in threads, but couldnt remember exactly at what point i pissed him off
    that's cool tho, I'm 100% right in what I said .. thanks for spreading the knowledge!

edit: like how fuckin dumb are you? Really. I said nothing about anything about toulene already being in your gas tank. All I said was that mixing it together makes heat, so be careful (ie. mix it in a barrel instead of just dumping it straight into your tank). you were stupid to start with, now I think the cf resin fumes are starting to take a percentage of whatever iq points you had left.
    Last edited by b_t; 10-09-2006 at 08:09 PM.

My Ride
    SRT

b_t , its nice that you're trying to twist things but really if you think mixing gas and toluene is gonna give off enough heat to ummm... err.... i dont know... i'm guessing you're shooting for selfignite right? well damn son, i think gas splashes around like a mohterfucker inside the gastank and you dont see the plastic tank melting or the gas preigniting itself, so unless you're using a freakin paint mixer (which you probably would coz you're b_t and you want perfect atomization) your "clarrified" response is even more retarded... and it's sad coz you even edited so you gave it at least a couple of your best tries
    Last edited by riceeater; 10-09-2006 at 08:55 PM.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

its fairly obvious the gas will not explode

Lets think of other things that could be damaged though... alright, so if your big aftermarket fuel pump depends on the gas to cool itself... which it does... and then you mix up a nice tank of homebrew race gas that is all the sudden way hotter then ambient temperature... that could cut into the life expectancy of the fuel pump? maybe? also consider you are probably running a low tank to save weight, stuff like that, so then there is not only less gas to sink heat, but its actually hot anyway. you might just kill your fuel pump outright!

or maybe its a nice +27 degree day outside in the middle of a calgary summer, and then you mix the gas, then that gets super hot.. it may affect the lifetime of the seals on the tank, too? that could end up venting gas into your passenger compartment!

and so on...

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

i put 94 oct in my talon from the husky on macloud trail, and it makes a huge differance still if i put in the oct boost, just remember the higher octane harder it is to ignite so make sure your car is in awesome condition, and i only put in half a tank of gas

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by b_t
    its fairly obvious the gas will not explode

Lets think of other things that could be damaged though... alright, so if your big aftermarket fuel pump depends on the gas to cool itself... which it does... and then you mix up a nice tank of homebrew race gas that is all the sudden way hotter then ambient temperature... that could cut into the life expectancy of the fuel pump? maybe? also consider you are probably running a low tank to save weight, stuff like that, so then there is not only less gas to sink heat, but its actually hot anyway. you might just kill your fuel pump outright!

or maybe its a nice +27 degree day outside in the middle of a calgary summer, and then you mix the gas, then that gets super hot.. it may affect the lifetime of the seals on the tank, too? that could end up venting gas into your passenger compartment!

and so on...
    lol wow you THINK you know what you're talking about but real life experience wins out every time unfortunately... when you use race fuel, you're using 40-50% toluene... if there was any downside, we would have known by now, we wouldnt need you speculating on beyond... check the flashpoint of the two substances and let us know how you'll ever reach that... or better yet, just stop, accept the facts, and be smarter at the end of the day

did you know toluene is the main ingredient in off the shelf octane boosters?
    Last edited by riceeater; 10-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast