Quantcast
MR2 n00b in serious need of advice/comments - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MR2 n00b in serious need of advice/comments

Default MR2 n00b in serious need of advice/comments

I had my first close up look at an MR2 a few months back and I have to say I got weak in the knee's. It's absolutely amazing, I love it!

I'm looking at buying one and thought I would consult some owners from Calgary. I've got a few questions...

1.) Where did you buy your MR2? Canada or US? How much? Specs?

2.) If you bought it from the U.S what did you have to go through as far as importation duties/paperwork?

3.) I've found that the Gen 2's have a max. 43.4" of legroom (i'm pretty tall, 6'4"). I fit nicely in my friends 92' gen 4 prelude and that has 44.2" of legroom. Should I be concerned?

4.) What is the best possible route to follow as far as buying an MR2? e.g buying a non turbo only to add an aftermarket turbo, cost effectiveness basically.

5.) And finally, is there anything I should know before even considering looking at buying this vehicle? Such as hassles concering owning/having one serviced in Canada. Buying parts etc.

Thanks alot, I'm really glad I stumbeled across this forum.

(EDIT: I'd really appreciate it if any Calgary members could add me to MSN, [email protected], I realize this forum doesn't get a large amount of traffic so it would be nice to talk to someone in real time.)
    Last edited by kranked; 08-01-2006 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I prefer LHD mr2s but thats just me, youd have to talk to the jdm guys about importing them.
    Maintenance is expensive unless you can do your own work and parts take time to come in, they aren't like hondas. They aren't the most practical cars and should be driven only in the summer but when properly maintained and cared for are super enjoyable. Good luck
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

pm-d
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

I'm 6' 1" and I fit in mine with the tops in and my helmut on with the tops in. Or atleast I did before I put the sparcos in. You would think there would be no room in these cars but there is actually quite a bit for what it is.

I second every thing Redlyne_mr2 said. These are cars that were built to be true sports cars. They aren't family sadans that got some stiffer shocks a K&N and some pin stripes and now they want to call it a sports car.

These things are true sports cars and they want to be driven like sports cars. They are also getting on to being 15 years old. That means they usually have a lot of maintanance thet needs to go along with them. If you can't afford to feed it I would look for some thing else. If you read all that and you still want one. Welcome aboard.