Quantcast
Recommend a good roofer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recommend a good roofer

Default Recommend a good roofer

I have a house with wood shingles. The shingles have seen better days and it's time to get them replaced. Anyone know of a reputable roofer. I'm looking to get the wood shingles replaced with asphalt and would like to get it done before winter. I called a couple of places and none of them wanted to come out - apparently, they were too busy to give me a quote LOL
    Last edited by black_2.5RS; 08-07-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Wow thats very professional of them.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by ashee
    Wow thats very professional of them.
    Are you really that suprised? With the way things are going, a good tradesperson can pick and choose his jobs. It really is that busy right now and companies (including the one I work for) regularly turn down jobs.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

How old are the shingles on your house?

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Good luck finding someone. Not many roofing companies out there right now that even do tile roofing since it's not really in that big of demand.

Second thing to keep in mind is that your roof system may not be designed to take the load of concrete tiles. Most houses when built have the trusses designed to take a certain amount of dead load (weight from permament materials like the roof sheathing, and yes, roofing material). Live loads are factors like snow which are based on average snowfall per given any given region (eg live snow factor is higher in Edmonton than in Calgary since they get more of it). That aside, since almost 99% of all houses in Calgary use either shakes or asphalt shingles, that's what most truss designers base their truss designs on. When you factor that tiles are much heavier per square foot than either asphalt shingles or wood shakes, you'd have to design the trusses to take the additional weight. Beefier trusses equal more cost to manufacture, which in turn is passed along to the homeowner.
    This may be another reason no one wants to take you on because they know the factors involved.

Good luck.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

I think I screwed up in my original posting - I was thinking asphalt shingles but must of typed concrete tiles. Which is completely different.
    I have placed calls with about 4 other roofing companies to get quotes - but being long weekend and all, i'll be waiting till at least Tues/Wed before I get any calls back (if any).

I'm not 100% sure how old the wood shingles are but i'm guessing they are as old as the house (so 25 or 30 yrs old). Freakin' unbelievable we haven't had any leaks yet but I don't feel like pressing my luck for another year.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by black_2.5RS
    I think I screwed up in my original posting - I was thinking asphalt shingles but must of typed concrete tiles. Which is completely different.
    I have placed calls with about 4 other roofing companies to get quotes - but being long weekend and all, i'll be waiting till at least Tues/Wed before I get any calls back (if any).

I'm not 100% sure how old the wood shingles are but i'm guessing they are as old as the house (so 25 or 30 yrs old). Freakin' unbelievable we haven't had any leaks yet but I don't feel like pressing my luck for another year.
    Oh man, all that typing for nothing?!?! Well, at least you hopefully learned something about tile roofing.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.