Quantcast
::Help with shoulders! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ::Help with shoulders!

My Ride
    Sexy Z TT @ Stage3!!

Default ::Help with shoulders!

What is the best excercise for shoulders!? I've been lifting weights like crazy for a month now, but seeing no improvement (muscle mass or cuts at shoulder). I been doing Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press, Side & Front Dumbell raise, Machine Shoulder press thingi about 3 days a week now. Wat should i do to see some results..supplements ??? Srry i m a beginner.

Note: Has anyone recently noticed two weirdos at UofC gym? One asian guy and the other white dude(big geekie glasses). I mean they are freakin hyper idiots...stares around more then working out. I mean come on mind ur bussiness!!

My Ride

Try standing dumbell press. Its harder at first but it works your core pretty hard as well. If you go back to seated dumbell press after a while you'll notice how much easier it is to do. Not seeing gains could have nothing to do with your workout. Usually its because your not consuming enough calories.

My Ride
    '09 STi

I find shrugs work really well.

Sometimes when I go to the UofC gym I see this older guy there who wears a sleevless red shirt I think with obviously no arms to show off lol. On top of it all I love watching him do use the machine where you grip the handles and then spread your arms laterally apart as if they are wings, not sure what its called, but its the machine on the across from the chest press ones. But I am pretty sure its for the shoulders, and I always see this guy swinging his knees and his arms to get as much leverage as he can, even on his first few reps.

lol, hopefully thats not you.

Default Re: ::Help with shoulders!

Originally posted by radar2000
    What is the best excercise for shoulders!? I've been lifting weights like crazy for a month now, but seeing no improvement (muscle mass or cuts at shoulder). I been doing Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press, Side & Front Dumbell raise, Machine Shoulder press thingi about 3 days a week now. Wat should i do to see some results..supplements ??? Srry i m a beginner.

Note: Has anyone recently noticed two weirdos at UofC gym? One asian guy and the other white dude(big geekie glasses). I mean they are freakin hyper idiots...stares around more then working out. I mean come on mind ur bussiness!!
    3 times a week? Sounds like some overtraining going on.

Just hit your shoulders hard once a week, high intensity compound movements. My routine is something like..

Military BB Press 3 sets x 6-8 reps
    Seating DB press 2 sets x 6-8 reps
    Side DB lateral 2 sets x 8-10 reps
    Bent over reverse laterals 2 sets x 8-10 reps
    DB shrugs 2 sets x 6-8 reps
    BB shrugs 2 sets x 8-10 reps

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

traps or front mid rear delts they are all diffrent try consulting a trainer at your gym...
    Solid Gino......

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Stick to pressing movements and go as heavy as you can without sacrificing too much form. 5 to 7 reps max.
    Autosignature

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Originally posted by pinoyhero
    Stick to pressing movements and go as heavy as you can without sacrificing too much form. 5 to 7 reps max.

That works best for me

My Ride
    an overpriced civic

Originally posted by pinoyhero
    i usually go with the big barbell for military presses.

try doing the clean, sweep and press too, that one works really well for me

My Ride
    Sexy Z TT @ Stage3!!

Thanks for ur opinion guys! I have reduced my dite aswell...but taking in a good amount of protien (shakes, meat..chicken etc). I m trying to reduce those fat at the same time.

Originally posted by 5hift
    Try standing dumbell press. Its harder at first but it works your core pretty hard as well. If you go back to seated dumbell press after a while you'll notice how much easier it is to do. Not seeing gains could have nothing to do with your workout. Usually its because your not consuming enough calories.
    Yes, i'll try this definatly...but i don't want to put too much strain on my back .

Originally posted by hussein
    I find shrugs work really well.

Sometimes when I go to the UofC gym I see this older guy there who wears a sleevless red shirt I think with obviously no arms to show off lol. On top of it all I love watching him do use the machine where you grip the handles and then spread your arms laterally apart as if they are wings, not sure what its called, but its the machine on the across from the chest press ones. But I am pretty sure its for the shoulders, and I always see this guy swinging his knees and his arms to get as much leverage as he can, even on his first few reps.

lol, hopefully thats not you.
    Thats not me lol...altough it sounds like he is an hardcore old man.

Originally posted by acura_el

i usually go with the big barbell for military presses.

try doing the clean, sweep and press too, that one works really well for me
    yes barbell miltitary press is the hardest one ! Best way to do is to bring barbell down in front of shoulders or behind ??

My Ride

^^

I see a lot of guys doing it behind the head, but on most the lifting forums and fitness mags, they say to never go behind the head.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

^the pure anatomy of the front shoulder when pressing from behind the head does not effectively contract these muscles.

Plus its a lot of strain on the supporting ligaments. Kinda like doing a wide grip pull over behind the head. The muscles are not aligned in that way to benifit from lifting at that angle.

Try Arnie Presses for shoulders, overhead throws with the med ball, twisting overhead throws with the med ball for some variation to your shoulder exercise.
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

lots of lateral variations are key to shaping your delts, as they hit all 3 heads. presses are your bread and butter exercise of course. as for front raises im not a fan, hard on your rotator cuffs and back, and pressing is hitting the ant. delt already so i dont bother.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    03 Kawasaki ZX636, 00 Honda Civic CX, 01 Yamaha R1

You know hun, sounds like the best idea is to go see a trainer. We can see what you are doing and suggest ways on improving.... it could be your posture, how heavy the weights are that you are using, types of exercises, lol, actually a lot of different things.

That's what we're there for, to personalize and develop!
    When in doubt, pinn'er. :P

My Ride
    an overpriced civic

Originally posted by 5hift
    ^^

I see a lot of guys doing it behind the head, but on most the lifting forums and fitness mags, they say to never go behind the head.
    yeah i never go behind the head. i've read that you can injure yourself that way and a few trainers have also told me the same thing

My Ride
    Civic

Default Re: ::Help with shoulders!

Originally posted by radar2000

No offence but not many people see huge gains or cuts within the first month. I went hard for about 4 months, 6 days a week doing mainly olympic lifting before i saw any really noticeable changes. PATIENCE is key!!!!!!

Keep doing what your doing, maybe try super setting your shoulders on your back day, or something like that if you want to try to gain results faster!
    C-23-H

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How's your diet?

My Ride
    Ford F-150

Ya man if your eating right and getting the proper rest in between workouts after the first few weeks you should notice some change.
    As for shoulder workouts I basically have the same advice as everyone else concentrating on military press type excersises. At the end of my shoulder workout I always try to get the last little blast, so I grab a 35 lb plate with both hands and hold it straight out in front with your arms straight and the weight at about eye level. Do it until you are about to drop the plate, it will get the blood flowing great and give you one last pump before you finish.

My Ride
    00 lude

I doubt he is overtraining, trust me it is very hard to do and it usually happens when you work your entire body too hard. Even so, i'd go with twice a week. You said you have been working out a month...honestly u need to give it more time. This is what i would try:

Seated dumbell press 4 sets 5-8 reps
    Dumbell side raises 4 sets 6-10 reps
    Cable side raises 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Cable front raises 4 sets 8-12 reps

Side raises are the key to building good shoulders in my opinion. I was dumbell pressing 120 lb dumbells and still wasn't happy with my shoulders until i started working sides really hard. Hope this helps.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

^ Too many raises IMO and thanks for the "I can do more than you can 120lbs. plug", LOLOL jk! I think you need to incorporate some upright rows, shrugs, etc to get the traps going too
    Autosignature

My Ride
    Ford F-150

I doubt he is overtraining, trust me it is very hard to do and it usually happens when you work your entire body too hard.
    How is it hard to overtrain, what people do not understand is your muscles need the rest to properly recuperate and grow. You need at least a day to rest between each shoulder workouts.

I was dumbell pressing 120 lb dumbells and still wasn't happy with my shoulders
    Your my hero

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast