Quantcast
Mechanical Flushes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mechanical Flushes

Default Mechanical Flushes

I'm parking my MR2 at the end of August, was curious if i should do an engine flush now or next year when i bring it out.

My friends told me to do an engine flush, rad flush and brake fluid flush but i'm not sure as to when it should be done. Same with Oil change. I know none of these have been done by the previous owner as the car has been in storage the last 4 years. Does anyone have any input? Please and thanks.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Are you saying that you drove the car after it being in storage for 4 years and are now putting it back in to storage again?

I think that is what you are trying to say, so yes do all the fluid changes next year when you take the car out. Because you pretty much missed your chance this year. Most importantly the oil, gear oil, tranny oil and coolant. The ps and brake fluid also needs flushsing but these can be changed when they require it, as per the color of the fluid or levels. Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank this year and before you crank it over next year be sure to add a cap full of oil down each spark plug hole.

i changed the oil as soon as I brought the car home but haven't driven it too much this year so I wasn't too worried about the fluid. The brake fluid is still the clear yellowish color so I assume it's not dirty and does not require changing. The previous owner mentioned that he had flush the coolant before and filled it with the redish long life stuff.

Leave the tank empty or full - gas that is.

My Ride
    335i

Store it with an empty tank of gas, so you can fill it with fresh gas next spring.

Don't do any maintenance right now. Wait until you are ready to drive it, and drain all the fluids and replace them then.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    SRT

Default Re: Mechanical Flushes

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    I'm parking my MR2 at the end of August, was curious if i should do an engine flush now or next year when i bring it out.

My friends told me to do an engine flush, rad flush and brake fluid flush but i'm not sure as to when it should be done. Same with Oil change. I know none of these have been done by the previous owner as the car has been in storage the last 4 years. Does anyone have any input? Please and thanks.
    are you not even gonna start it every now and then? i dont know, draining the oil and gas FINE, but the breaks and rad fluid is kinda retarded... unless you're planning to have it sit for years and years, not just till spring

Default Re: Re: Mechanical Flushes

Originally posted by riceeater

are you not even gonna start it every now and then? i dont know, draining the oil and gas FINE, but the breaks and rad fluid is kinda retarded... unless you're planning to have it sit for years and years, not just till spring
    Car will be stored at a friends place so access will be limited. i need the room in my garage for my IS as it'll be stored too and the wifes car. The beater will have to sit outside.

i don't understand what you mean by draining the fluids....i was gonna have the fluids (coolant, brake) flushed so it'll be clean and rdy to go next year but everyone thinks instead of doing it now i should do it next year when i bring it out again. Was more curious about flushing the fluids as i assume they are quite old....

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Store it with an empty tank of gas, so you can fill it with fresh gas next spring.
    I have to disagree with that. A tank should always be stored full with stabilizer added. This prevents condensation from building up on the sides of the tank and rusting out the tank from the inside.

In the spring run the car until the tank is as empty as you dare, then fill up with fresh gas.

I have done this for the past 9 years with my bikes. My Dad has also done this with his boats and quads since I was a little kid. Neither of us has ever had any problems with gas tanks, or gummed up carbs/injectors.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Don't do any maintenance right now. Wait until you are ready to drive it, and drain all the fluids and replace them then.

NEVER store a car with dirty fluids or an empty gas tank.
    Engine oil becomes acidic with use - bad for metals
    Coolant has its anti corrosion additive depleted with time- bad for metals
    Brake fluid absorbs water from the air with time- bad for metals
    Empty fuel tanks will absorb water from the air- bad for metals
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    a wrx.

Flush before and after - problem solved.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Flush before and after - problem solved.
    hahaha i must admit it has crossed my mind....