Thread: The K-cycle Engine

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i hate stuff that spins, i love stuff that pumps

My Ride
    ttc (bus)

Cool k-cycle engine

hey,

this baby spins and it pumps both ways at the same time eh?

from the 'horse's mouth" to your ear...

conventionally, internal combustion engines whether they are of the reciprocating piston type { i've been calling what mr k calls "reciprocating" a "crank type" in previous posts 'cuz the diesel and swatch-plate engines reciprocate also - not to mention also that the k-cycle engines rotate - they rotate and reciprocate both ways at the same time! } or the rotary type, utilize the otto-cycle or the diesel-cycle or the dual-combustion-cycle.
    all conventional engines suffer from the one principal disadvantage, namely, that the expansion stoke is the same length as the compression stroke so that a considerable amount of the energy is wasted and expelled as hot exhaust gases under considerable pressure. { hencewhyforth the low 18% efficiency of current production today's engines }
    another disadvantage of the conventional engines is that they require a separate combustion chamber for each piston

summary of the invention:
    the present invention overcomes these disadvantages by utilizing an improved cycle in which the expansion ratio or stroke is greater than the compression ratio, or stroke is greater than the compression ratio or stroke therby converting some of the energy normally expelled and wasted in the exhaust gases, to useful work or horsepower.
    the greater the expansion ration compared to that of the compression ratio is achieved within one cylinder and piston in contrast to the "brayton" cycle which although it expands the gases to atmospheric pressure, achieves this with two pistons, one fro compression and the other for expansion.
    furthermore, a common mini-combustion chamber is used for each bank of cylinders so that continuous combustion is possible. { ooh! sounds clean and efficient }
    an object of the invention is therefore to provide an improved operating cycle for internal combustion engines in which the expansion and exhaust strokes are longer than the intake and compression strokes thereby converting more work to useful energy than in conventional operating cycles.
    another object of the invention is to provide a rotary engine which can be used with a conventional cycle of operation or, can be used with the improved cycle of operation as desired...........

{ couldn't have said it more-better my self eh? }

tfn,
    pppaulll

PRACTISE SAFE HEX; USE YOUR FIREWALL PROPERLY

ref:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/784410.html

Last edited by pppaulll; 12-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

any thoughts on the quasiturbine engine?

My Ride
    ttc (bus)

Cool k-cycle vs quasiturbine

hi,

ah yes...the quasiturbine...

a square wankel in an roundish hole,
    what mpg doth the car-gods dole.
    the k and the ox seem more more measurable,
    'cuz a hundred per would be very pleasurable.

... never heard of a quasiturbine before just now. shows you how much the media and automotive trade papers care about improving auto-mobiles and the environment or informing their readers/consumers. what kind of mpg does it get? anyone...

i looked at some diagrams of the engine...why not? seems to be a lot like the 'wangle' { misspelling intentional } but square instead of triangular. continuous combustion like the k-cycle. 97'Scort will probably tell you that it will not lubricate or it will blow up from rotational forces - don't believe him...he said the same thing about k and ox2.

the point is, more efficient and robust engines are more than possible but auto-makers reject anything new because of retooling and retraining and the impact on revenue and the "good of the nation" and it's bad for the economy and my big-toe hurts. give the big-3 a target - 80 mpg in 5 years and let them get there any way they can...they can and they will.

start with the concept that, on average, it takes as much energy or more to build a car as it takes to operate that car for a year. cars are built for obsolescence. north-american cars start to nickel-and-dime after 5 years. japanese / korean cars seem to hum along for closer to 10 before things start to go. cars should putt along for 25+ years.

when in canadian army service in the late '60's and early '70's, i drove jeeps (and other smp vehicles) that were built in 1950-1953 for the korean war...they were still going strong long after i left service despite the fact we drove the hell out of them and occasionally flipped them over. get a few guys to flip it back and away you go.

toronto transit buses of early 1970's vintage were on the road for around 30 years! { newer buses are pulled after just a few years because of corrosion (articulated buses) and faulty battery packs (hybrids) }. hybrid buses have been found to burn more diesel than economical diesel models. thought it was supposed to be the other way around. battery technology ain't there yet eh?

with what is known today about metallurgy and corrosion, cars should not rust like my first new car, a 1973 dodge polara with "heavy duty" package. the rockers were gone in two years, careful maintenance notwithstanding. the springs collapsed under the weight of 6 { albeit hefty } men and a few rifles in the trunk. crap! if i were more experienced in the ways of the world, chrysler would have been toast...

my new 1979 honda civic ccvc { compound vortex controlled combustion } civic needed brake service every 3,000 miles in the winter salt! give me a break! { not disclosed until after purchase of course } the compound combustion chamber did improve the burn { ie it was more efficient and clean }. also at issue was that the freaking spark-plug wires ran down the front of the engine where they enjoyed a constant salt-spray bath which caused the car to sputter and choke and die constantly. new wires...same problem. only kept that car for about 3 years because of problems. honda's current reputation not withstanding i will never buy another honda.

both my { used } buicks had the "check-engine" lamp on constantly. covering the lamp with black tape seemed to work ok. parts constantly needed replacing. once again, rust claimed both buicks prematurely.

never did own a ford...i knew better from the experience of others.

then there is the good...my 1989 eagle vista (japanese built with mitsubishi engine was 10 years on the road before i transferred it to my brother who drove it another 6. changed the tires, oiled it, new brakes a few times...almost perfect...the original stainless-steel exhaust was still intact at the end. my very first, and best car was a used 1963 toyota corona { not corolla } that i bought in 1969 and drove for 8 years before an 18-wheeler rear-ended and wrote it off this fabulous car!

auto-makers should be challenged. if they cannot build a saleable product at a reasonable price with reasonable durability and efficiency...THEY SHOULD GO THE WAY OF THE DODO.

gunna read more about quasiturbine...thanks for the tip.

WARNing >>> the animations accessed through this url may substantially improve the quality of ones bliss...however one chooses to reach that state <<<

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm

also see...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine2.htm

k-cycle allows for continuous combustion as well. the burn never stops...

tfn,

pppaulll

back to the k eh?
    Last edited by pppaulll; 12-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.

My Ride
    ttc (bus)

Default k-cycle

hi,

here is a partial k-cycle legend per the patent documents. this reference should make it easier for someone reviewing the patent diagrams eh.

http://members.shaw.ca/zenonp/Misc/KCycle.pdf

===========================================================
    10 - cylindrical stator
    11 - cylindrical chamber
    12 - cylinder head
    13 - cylinder head bolts
    14 - conventional seal
    15 - cylindrical rotor
    16 - common shaft
    16' - point shaft secured
    17 - common shaft bearings
    18 - piston bores
    19 - pistons
    20 - conventional piston rings
    22 - annular seals (labyrinth type)
    22a - alternate radial seals
    23 - annularly formed fluid passages for cooling
    24 - cam rings
    25 - bolts securing cam rings
    26 - cam slots
    27 - gear teeth around periphery of the two cam rings
    28 - gear around the shaft
    31 - cam ring base
    32 - upstanding legs
    33 - annular channel
    34 - inner connecting rod
    35 - connecting rods
    37 - lower end of link
    38 - large roller
    39 - pin
    40 - one wall/limit of annular channel (40, 42)
    41 - smaller roller
    42 - outer wall/limit of annular channel (40, 42)
    43 - (alternate configuration)
    44 - combustion (firing) chamber
    45 - spark-plug (not on diesel version)
    46 - fuel injector
    47 - intake port
    48 - exhaust port
    50 - shims (cam adjust)
    51 - end plates
    52 - bearing assemblies
    53 - collective designation for roller
    54 - common cylinder head
    56 - combustion chamber (full sized)
    58 - support plate
    59 - cylinder bores
    59a - block (collective)
    60 - support cylinder
    61 - longitudinal extending channels
    62 - bifurcated (two part) end
    63 - connecting rod
    64 - underside of piston
    66 - cam ring
    69 - web
    70 - flange

========================
    other links
    ========================

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Lanow...143990675.aspx

tfn,

paul

Last edited by pppaulll; 12-20-2008 at 07:38 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota 4Runner

http://umanitoba.ca/libraries/units/...to.php?id=2557

Here's a photo with Hoken and his engine from the 70's

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Wish i could find a video of the k-cycle in action.......

found this one while searching, its kind of neat.

My Ride
    Toyota 4Runner

Here's the Quasi Turbine. Want more horsepower? stack another engine.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

TLDR, has anyone actually got one of these running in anything more than a proof-of-concept setup? Like in an actual vehicle or generator where we could dyno it, and see it's benefits in a real world application?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I know this is years late but I used to work at k-cycle in the lab where we tore down and rebuilt the engine.
    It was not put in a mustang but a ford fairmont silver in color.
    As far as moving parts go, there were almost no moving parts.
    Far fewer parts than a normal engine.
    The engine was extremely quiet and had almost no vibration.
    We used to put a machine bolt on top of the engine. Accelerate and it wouldn’t top over.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is a good bump of an old thread. What year was this? Be cool if you had any more details, or knew of someone who had continued with the development.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is broken

This whole concept sounds a lot like The Duke engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

Fairly neat engine and they do have real running engines.

The problem will all theses designs is fixed timing. Variable valve timing improves efficiency quite a bit and your throwing that all out the window unless the engine operates at a fixed rpm like a generator or even large boat motors.

I believe that Koenigsegg freevalve will be the ultimate in internal combustion... if they can ever get it out of the lab.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Even the skyactiv X engine from Mazda sounds like it's going to have massive advantages.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3