Quantcast
noise isolating/ noise cancelling headphones - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: noise isolating/ noise cancelling headphones

Default noise isolating/ noise cancelling headphones

I was thinking about getting my gf a set of noise-isolating or noise-cancelling headphones, because I think she listens to her music waaaay too loud and I’m worried about her blowing her ears out one of these days and I don’t want her going deaf. So I was thinking about buying a set of these headphones. I don’t know much about noise-isolating/canceling headphones or which brands are good, so I was hoping someone could help me out. Is there any decent set of these headphones I can hope to get for under $100? Thanks!

Are you looking for in-ear headphones or more like along the lines of over the ear, dj style ones... Despite what some might say you can get ear phones for 40 bucks that are on par with most decent headphone priced in the 100's...

Some models to check out (over the ear):
    Sennheiser PX100 or PX200
    Koss KSC75

In the Ear:
    Shure E2C (overpriced IMO)
    Senhesiser CX 300

There probably some other ones but thats a start. If you were talking about over the ear headphones like I think you were I would go with the Sennheiser PX100 or the KossKSC75, dont own either but have done extensive research into budget headphones...

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

i picked up the sennheiser cx300 a few weeks ago to go with my nano.. it takes a bit to get the fitting right (3 different ear plug sizes) since they sit in your ear and essentially sound/feel like an earplug but i think they have a really full range ... bought them from futureshop..

Ditto, I did the same thing got the cx300's, they go for ~90 but you could easily go online find them for 60 and get futureshop to pricematch.

pick up a pair of headphones called skullkrushers, they are made by a company called skullkandy, these headphones are awesome and they have a built in subwoofer for the music lover

Originally posted by harv91
    pick up a pair of headphones called skullkrushers, they are made by a company called skullkandy, these headphones are awesome and they have a built in subwoofer for the music lover
    err not quite... they have a second driver whose only function is to literally vibrate and drown out ambient noise. A true audiophile prefers accuracy and clarity to his fillings being knocked loose
    Last edited by 962 kid; 08-19-2006 at 09:40 PM.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

Originally posted by mushi_mushi
    Ditto, I did the same thing got the cx300's, they go for ~90 but you could easily go online find them for 60 and get futureshop to pricematch.
    damn.. i wish i got them to price match.. i didn't think they'd do it for stuff online..

As long as its a canadian website and they have it in stock they will do it...got the creative zen vision m for 280 too...

Originally posted by JVR1

damn.. i wish i got them to price match.. i didn't think they'd do it for stuff online..

would someone be kind enough to post a link to a canadian website selling these sennheisers at the $60 price? i seem to be having no luck finding them

off the top of my head....there might be better prices out there but you gotta dig...

px 100: ~63
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=S302-1060

cx 300: ~63
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...045&CatId=2381

go to futureshop get them to price match, just print it off, and they might also look at the website once you make the purchase just to make sure the item is stocked...make sure you point out its a canadian site/.ca and they shouldnt have a problem price matching it for you.

you can get the koss ksc75 cheaper but im not sure there's a store here that carries them.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by mushi_mushi
    Are you looking for in-ear headphones or more like along the lines of over the ear, dj style ones... Despite what some might say you can get ear phones for 40 bucks that are on par with most decent headphone priced in the 100's...

Some models to check out (over the ear):
    Sennheiser PX100 or PX200
    Koss KSC75

In the Ear:
    Shure E2C (overpriced IMO)
    Senhesiser CX 300

There probably some other ones but thats a start. If you were talking about over the ear headphones like I think you were I would go with the Sennheiser PX100 or the KossKSC75, dont own either but have done extensive research into budget headphones...
    have both the shure e2c's and the sennheiser equivilents... dont remember the name... awesome!
    Cos...

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

just buy a set of sony earcanal headphones, they go into ur ear and basically cut out a majority of outside noise, kinda like earplugs, and the lower frequency reproduction is wicked, paying extra for a noise reduction unit wont be necessary....that or u can go for dj style headphones that have muffs that will block out sound as well...

basically saying u dont need to go all out and buy some really high end headphones when u can buy something that'll do the job for much cheaper....

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I have tried 2 pairs of Shure earphones, they aren't too bad. Some people don't like them because it doens't sound natural and the low end sounds artifical. However, the Shure will sound awesome provided you feed them with good power, and the source is clean (not some crappy 192kps mp3).

If all you are looking for is the noise-cancelling feature then you can go for lower price earphones but with the NC function. However if you are willing to dish out more for fidelity function then u can spend between 150-200. And if you wanna really bring out ur music and hear the crappy static noise in those 192kps mp3s then ur wallet is your limit. There are cans out there that doesn't have NC function, but since they are engineered so well, they can block out outside noise due to their design.

Why dont you save your money and tell her to turn her music down?

Noise cancelling headphones wont stop her from listening to loud music. IIRC they are for people that want to sleep or relax without any unwanted background noise.