Quantcast
Illegal Street Racing is Stupid (duh!) - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal Street Racing is Stupid (duh!)

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

I realize that young people are given a horrible image of irresponsiblity. Stereotypes do not surface from one or even a few incidents but numerous repeated occasions. Being a 'teenager' is a product of stereotypes. Same as being old or male or female and so is being yellow, black or white. However, stereotypes are as inevitable as sunrise. Whether you live up to those stereotypes is your choice.

Let me ask you something. If you were a bystander walking by and you see you chilling by a large group of people with their cars at bullshits, what would your reaction be?

However, I do agree that there will be people that go to bullshits long after this and long after us. F&F didn't started it but it certainly added fuel to the flame.

As for my comments on 16 yr olds, it was said without loss of generality. Everything should be taken with the loss of generality because there are always exceptions to everything. Just like there are places where the sun don't shine.

Good for you for doing what you are doing and I applaud you so. However, I did not specifically state you were a wreckless driver or did not have any responsiblities. Again, the key word is generality.

Take time to think for a second why your insurance is so much higher and your insurance is increase more than your parents on the same infraction.

Also, if you can't figure out why SC remove the meets section then you need to think harder. Could SC possibly removed the meets section because they don't condone this type of behavior that is unsafe, unwanted and frowned upon???

Regardless of what you and others think, bullshits is and always will be dangerous. Can you tell me that it's not? Racing at 'excess' speeds with people lining the track, pfff BS! And that is the cold hard truth.
    Last edited by GingeRRRBeef; 04-24-2003 at 11:52 AM.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    Corolla

Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey
    Silver_SpecV
    I think you need to realize something.
    First of all, young people in today's society have all been given a horrible image of irresponsibility by a careless few. I don't think it's right that you assume that all 16 year olds who drive their parents' cars and go to the races are irresponsible.
    Second of all, whether I am there or not makes no difference to whether or not the races happen. If people wanna race, they'll race. Sure, if no one went, then a lot less people would race, but most of the people who go there arent' going to be persuaded to stay away by a few police. I'm 17, and I drive my parent's car. You make it sound like the implications, insurance-wise as well as legally, are more serious for adults with their own vehicles than for teenagers who are part-time drivers on their parents' vehicles. I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. I have a spotless driving record, not even a parking ticket, and I am paying 25% more per year to be insured under my parents than they are paying ALL TOGETHER for the two of them. If I got a speeding ticket tommorow for going, say, 30 over, which isn't a huge infraction, but the ticket would be anywhere from $100-$150, as opposed to my dad getting the same ticket, those 3 demerits on my record would jack my insurance up by much much more than his would if he got the ticket.
    Driving your parents' car seems to be a huge offence these days, and I don't understand. I work part time, as well as school, and I don't even make enough money to pay for insurance itself, let alone gas and maintenance, and the initial cost of the vehicle. So I can't have my own. And that is why I drive my parents'.
    Third, yes, I do go to the races to chill. And no, I don't think that this is straight out of F&F. Seriously? The only part that I could even relate to it is the retards driving away as fast as they can when the police show up.

And lastly, the main point in my post is that all the bullshit I am hearing from people is starting to piss me off. I don't know why SC got rid of the Meets section, so that people couldn't organize races on there anymore. That was SC's main use, in my opinion. When I hear bullshit from people like Melinda, who was out there last weekend, saying that she isn't going to go to shows anymore, it pisses me off. I can't understand what she is trying to accomplish. No one is going to be impressed on here, Mel. I know how hard you try to kiss ass on here, but it's not working. I saw you there on saturday. And I'm betting that if I don't see you there this saturday, I will in the following weeks.

-Biggie!
    You GET the image of Irresponsibility because you are going to an illegal event where Irresponible action is happening... It don't matter what you say, its what you do that makes that image. And you know what? You are right NOT all 16-17 year are irresponsible, but YOU seem to be one of those irresponsible youth that is contributing to that negative image.

Just being at BS puts you at a higher risk for an accident, racing or not.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride

See what I mean by shear ignorance?!?!?!
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    Highlander

BigYellowMonkey,

I welcome you, next time you see me out there, make a whole new thread on here saying how much of a hippocrite I am. That was my first night back out since the accident (and dont tell me the tim hortons is the bullshits cause it isn't) and I assure you I won't be back again.

I actually had nothing to do with the changes on SC but I am proud of Peter for making them.

And lastly, I dont kiss anyone's ass. Especially people I've never met before. Yes, I am a nice person but I don't kiss ass so let it go. My opinions are my opinions and they have been said. This doesn't need anymore from me.

Melinda
    Last edited by Melinda; 04-24-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
    See what I mean by shear ignorance?!?!?!
    Is this aimed at me?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

lammer Guest

Originally posted by Ben
    Welp, Everything I believe in has been said already.

I have always liked Secret street. its great, its far more safe regardless of what anyone argues. It is controlled conditions, and you get a time slip. Most people are just affraid of what they will run.

I'm sure many of you remember "the Jetta" :rollseyes:

I ran an 18.600@73mph.

nothing fast in the least, and a few people made fun of it but whatever, at least I was out and I HAD FUN and got a feel for what my car would run. Also learned alot of how cars react to better traction and where to launch in the RPM range.

I now have a newer faster car but does that change anything. Asside from a few seconds quicker it's the same. I love rippin down the QM, and I look forward to many solo 2/1/lapping days.

I am however guilty of stop light racing...I think most people are. *shrug* not much I can really do about that, out with friends or whatever and you just gun it. Or some tool in some contraption is riding your ass and then you hit a light. My car doesn't exactly scream "I'm fast!!!", so owning them is quite fun. I see it young and old. Guys in their mid 40's will turn over and look at you and then haul ass in the BMW 5 series or even moms in their mini vans. At least I can admit that. Most people are like blah blah street racing is death and yet they are guilty of the the light to light special. Sure stop light races are bad, illegal, I know the consequences, but I generally dont push them to the extreme anyways. you know how far it is from point A to Point B, so there is no need to hit the top of 4th.

We are fortunate to have Secret Street in this city. There should be no need for organized street racing with the Fine facilities here in Calgarys South East.

I guess to each there own, there will always be people who dont like legal ways and prefer to bs at a street corner where there is no fear of time slips, reaction times and trap speed.
    like i said benny.

people laugh because we are slow on the track, we laugh because they are slow in the head.

My Ride

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Is this aimed at me?
    no no at the kid
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    2004 SRT-4

Hi, My name is Mike and I drive a Saturn. Thank you for comeing out and playing. This thread has very many laughs, as well as many bring downs. I admitt, I was driving an Integra Type R that did get into an accident. I was driving at a higher rate of speed. I did make a mistake. But I am the most perfect example of what not to do. I work out at race city, I will be there every weekend till the very last one. I will also go to the street racing on Saturday nights. You will however never see me again race a car there again, first of all I now drive a 22 second Saturn that probly is faster in Reverse and second of all there are too too too many drunk little bitches out there that cause too much hassle. I like to go and watch the idiots have their fun, I love to watch them run like little fucking ants when you step on an ant farm. I promote Race City more than I promote illegal racing. I have been at Race City since I was 6 years old.

But one thing I want to say again, is that I learned from my mistakes, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I FUCKED UP!!!!! I am only human. I could have prevented it in so many ways, but made the wrong decision and I am paying for it. I would rather go to a saturday night show and have no racing, keep it to race city. I would like us all to go to Tim Hortons and chill like we did after the accidents. I had more fun just standing around talken to all the people I have met and all the people that I know.

I know people are going to have their comment to what I have to say here, I know people will agree with me, I know people are going to laugh at me, I know people are going to say shit that will make me hurt and or mad. Go ahead, I have herd it all. I am a loser, I am stupid, I made a mistake, I fucked up. I should be shot, I wrote off my BABY, the love of my life. Something that meant and means so much to me is now just a memory. For everyone out there that wants to go to the races drunk, or drive like idiots, may last weekend as well as my night of hell and any other night of hell make you think twice before you get behind the wheel and want to race. I was not drunk and I was not drinking when I had my accident, it was just a bad mistake from start to finish.

The lady I ended up hitting is not hurt at all, she is not even seeking revenge on me, looken for money, all she wants is her car back. This could have been alot worse than it is. I could have killed someone, killed my self or killed my passenger. I am greatfull that we are all ok.

I am going to leave this alone now. I welcome all your comments and everything that you want to say to me. Thank you all and I hope to see you out tommorrow night.

PS: I will be in the Riced out saturn, laugh when you see it, cause I do everytime I look at the POS!!!
    Mike~~SRT-4

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Integra Type R
    Hi, My name is Mike and I drive a Saturn. Thank you for comeing out and playing. This thread has very many laughs, as well as many bring downs. I admitt, I was driving an Integra Type R that did get into an accident. I was driving at a higher rate of speed. I did make a mistake. But I am the most perfect example of what not to do. I work out at race city, I will be there every weekend till the very last one. I will also go to the street racing on Saturday nights. You will however never see me again race a car there again, first of all I now drive a 22 second Saturn that probly is faster in Reverse and second of all there are too too too many drunk little bitches out there that cause too much hassle. I like to go and watch the idiots have their fun, I love to watch them run like little fucking ants when you step on an ant farm. I promote Race City more than I promote illegal racing. I have been at Race City since I was 6 years old.

But one thing I want to say again, is that I learned from my mistakes, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I FUCKED UP!!!!! I am only human. I could have prevented it in so many ways, but made the wrong decision and I am paying for it. I would rather go to a saturday night show and have no racing, keep it to race city. I would like us all to go to Tim Hortons and chill like we did after the accidents. I had more fun just standing around talken to all the people I have met and all the people that I know.

I know people are going to have their comment to what I have to say here, I know people will agree with me, I know people are going to laugh at me, I know people are going to say shit that will make me hurt and or mad. Go ahead, I have herd it all. I am a loser, I am stupid, I made a mistake, I fucked up. I should be shot, I wrote off my BABY, the love of my life. Something that meant and means so much to me is now just a memory. For everyone out there that wants to go to the races drunk, or drive like idiots, may last weekend as well as my night of hell and any other night of hell make you think twice before you get behind the wheel and want to race. I was not drunk and I was not drinking when I had my accident, it was just a bad mistake from start to finish.

The lady I ended up hitting is not hurt at all, she is not even seeking revenge on me, looken for money, all she wants is her car back. This could have been alot worse than it is. I could have killed someone, killed my self or killed my passenger. I am greatfull that we are all ok.

I am going to leave this alone now. I welcome all your comments and everything that you want to say to me. Thank you all and I hope to see you out tommorrow night.

PS: I will be in the Riced out saturn, laugh when you see it, cause I do everytime I look at the POS!!!
    *Blink blink* Wow. I'm amazed. Good post

My Ride
    pedals

alrighty then. so most people think SR is dumb and the people that dont, arnt going to say sht cause they'll get flamed. I think this thread has played itself out, unless somebody wants to hijack it and sent her in a new direction?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

I liked how last year people were racing BACK towards the crowd. Real smart
    Grow up.
    That shit has ALWAYS happen but it is a lot worse when 120+ mph domestics come ripping by vs. 40mph rice rockets

My Ride
    something green

Just my .02 worth..
    I doubt there is one person here who can resist the tempation to race off a red light when they are in their ride sitting at light, they have pole position and another car pulls up and throws a rev at them. Lets get off the high horses and soapboxes , everyone streetraces, some of it is premeditated and some of it isn't, the premeditated streetracing is usually the killer and the most frowned upon, however like its incidental counterpart, both are street racing, I go with people off lights all the time, cops do it, I have raced cops off the lights before, streetracing is actually older than cars, its not going away anytime soon, and it happens everywhere..
    I think most people have a problem with the "yahoo" mentality at bullshit at saturday night, not really the racing, the accidents and carnage are not really due to the races, its the alcohol and the carnival surroundin the event that takes the prize as the dangerous part of it, and yes it never use to be like that, there was a time when the average age at bullshit corner was around 25+, now its 15+ and the intelligence seems to have varied inversley with the attending age group..
    Now that its hollywood badboy material though, and trendy to be a punk street racer with hopped up pimpin import ride, there are alot of people into cars as fashion, not the deep down lover for shear performance, if you don't agree with that, look at speed shop from 10 years ago to today, speed shops didn't sell rooster dink pink shift knobs, overstated Ikea towel rack spoilers, all the vinyl back then was used for making beach balls and blow up matress, not creating the facade of speed that is so fashionable today. People saved up for 509 camshafts and 4.11 gear sets, not neon light kits, and blue windshield nozzles..
    Where am I going with this, if you have real speed, the races on the streets don't last long and don't get to big speeds for to long in distance or time, they end quick and everyone drives normal, its the kids with the gangsta ride that seems to have take it up to 160 km/hr and do the ricer fly by after they got owned from stoplight to stoplight that scare me, so intent to prove their barf bag ride is the shiznit, they will keep their foot into it long after the race is done, just to either pass, or be in front.. In a real fast car, you just can't keep into the gas that long, you will either hit something, or blow a red light, and people with nice fast cars have to much into their rides to endanger their car for a minor league stoplight confrontation, its fun to own someone between lights, but I call off the contest once I have reached posted speed limit or there abouts..
    Whats really funny is blowing the doors off cars with Beyond.ca stickers on them, and noticing it never gets posted in the street encounters..hehe....Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Driving your parents' car seems to be a huge offence these days, and I don't understand. I work part time, as well as school, and I don't even make enough money to pay for insurance itself, let alone gas and maintenance, and the initial cost of the vehicle. So I can't have my own. And that is why I drive my parents'.
    Third, yes, I do go to the races to chill.
    I think the reason why driving your parents car (or a car purchased by your parents for you) is considered an offence sometimes is that irresponsible behaviour that sometimes it brings.

I drive a car my parents bought. I don't work, and I don't pay insurance. What I do however is work hard at school and don't drive like an idiot because I know if I screw up in any of those categories, my parents would kill me. Driving your parents' car is not necessarily an offence unless you think that you can get poor grades and drive like a jack-ass and STILL have your parents pay for everything.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2012 Elantra GLS 6spd

Originally posted by hjr
    alrighty then. so most people think SR is dumb and the people that dont, arnt going to say sht cause they'll get flamed. I think this thread has played itself out, unless somebody wants to hijack it and sent her in a new direction?
    People won't say shit cause they'll get flamed? Gimme a break.
    Street racing is dumb? Yeah, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that people are going to go watch. I watch it. A couple of my friends watch it. But to tell you the truth, I enjoy being out there talking with people and meeting new people more than I enjoy watching the actual racing. I will be out at Race City tonight, and if anyone has a problem, I would suggest they come talk to me about it there. I'm sure there is a handful of people on here who know what I look like, but for the rest of you, I'm a big guy with a fro. Big white boy. If you have a problem with my opinion, come find me.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I think the reason why driving your parents car (or a car purchased by your parents for you) is considered an offence sometimes is that irresponsible behaviour that sometimes it brings.

I drive a car my parents bought. I don't work, and I don't pay insurance. What I do however is work hard at school and don't drive like an idiot because I know if I screw up in any of those categories, my parents would kill me. Driving your parents' car is not necessarily an offence unless you think that you can get poor grades and drive like a jack-ass and STILL have your parents pay for everything.
    Well there you go. You're way better off than most teenagers. All you have to do is work fairly hard in school? I work pretty hard in school, have a part-time job, and pay my own insurance and gas, as well as a percentage of maintenance, to drive my parent's car. My family has one car, because my parents both work at home, and so I don't just get it whenever I want. You don't have the right to bitch about all the responsibilities that are on your back, because you don't have to pay your own insurance, and you didn't have to pay for the vehicle. It sounds like you don't pay for gas or maintenance either. Geez, life is tough for you, hey?

It's so easy for you kids with your own cars to say shit like that. If I get a single speeding ticket, a serious one anyways, then that will be it for me driving my parent's car. I don't earn enough to pay my own insurance for a year for my own car, let alone gas, maintenance, and the initial cost of the vehicle itself. And I'm not the one who can fuck around and my parents still pay for everything. I already pay for everything myself, except the actual cost of the vehicle, and if I fuck up, I just won't be driving anymore.

The fact that I'm a teenager shouldn't mean anything. Just because I'm driving my parents' car, doesn't mean that people should look at me an consider me to be a typical irresponsible teenage stereotype. I expect it from some people, from the more ignorant ones in society. I thought in today's world, we're supposed to live on the "innocent until proven guilty" theory. It seems that this isn't the case here. I've done something wrong by driving a vehicle at my age, before I've even been given the opportunity to fuck up. I have been driving for a while, and I have yet to get a speeding ticket, orcause (or even be involved in) an accident. For fuck sakes, I haven't even gotten a parking ticket.

You guys think you're so fucking innocent. "Oh, well, I race from light to light, but technically that's not street racing because it's not organized, so the lack of organization makes it safe." Give me a fucking break. Righteousness makes me sick. Light to light racing is is as dangerous, if not even more dangerous, than organized racing. I have heard about a lot more accidents from people racing from light to light than I have from organized street racing in calgary. hell, I know half a dozen people who have been in those kind of accidents. And I have yet to meet anyone who has gotten in an accident while at an organized race. Well, aside from the drunk teenagers (helping out with our image yet again) pulling out into other cars. But I have yet to see an accident between racers.
    Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
    Let me ask you something. If you were a bystander walking by and you see you chilling by a large group of people with their cars at bullshits, what would your reaction be?
    My reaction is probably pretty obvious to some of you, and may seem "irresponsible" or something like that to some of you, but I would probably walk over and chill with them That's the best part of the street races. Not the racing, but the people who are out there.

And last but not least, Mel... If you think street racing is so wrong, I don't care how long you didn't go for, you came back. You try to sound like you're so much more mature than me. If that's true, then why is it that while people are saying it's a 16 year old thing to do, you came out last weekend? People like *gasp*ME are out there. You wouldn't want to be seen with the likes of me. Saying that's the last one doesn't mean shit. You've said that before, too. And no, Timmy's isn't the bullshits. But you were out at the strip. I saw you there. So don't give me any of your bullshit, because I can see right through it.

Sorry that this post is so long, but I have to vent. I hate people who try to justify the teenage stereotype by saying it's our fault and if we live up to it, then its our problem. I am a teenager. I don't follow the stereotype in a lot of respects. I don't drink. I don't speed excessively. Sure, I drive 10-15 over the limit, but who doesn't? My dad is a much worse driver than me, and he doesn't even have the "I'm a teenager" excuse. I find that adults are hypocrites about driving and teenagers. I don't know how many tickets my dad has gotten, and this is just an example, but I can remember 5. That's in the last 5 or 10 years, so that's not bad. But, as a typical parent, he said that if I get one ticket, chances are I won't be driving their car anymore. If I get one for going more than 20 over, i'm done for sure. And this is just an example of the expectations that adults set for teenagers, but the adults themselves are exempt from. It's irresponsible for teenagers to race from light to light, but when you older folk do it, it's safe. Or safer.
    I'm afraid not.

-Biggie!

My Ride
    Highlander

And last but not least, Mel... If you think street racing is so wrong, I don't care how long you didn't go for, you came back. You try to sound like you're so much more mature than me. If that's true, then why is it that while people are saying it's a 16 year old thing to do, you came out last weekend? People like *gasp*ME are out there. You wouldn't want to be seen with the likes of me. Saying that's the last one doesn't mean shit. You've said that before, too. And no, Timmy's isn't the bullshits. But you were out at the strip. I saw you there. So don't give me any of your bullshit, because I can see right through it.
    I do believe that I posted I was out there last weekend, never once did I deny it. But it has also been my first time out since the accident and like I said, too much bullshit with drinking, drugs and stupid drivers to make me come out ever again. I admit, I used to be out there all the time, but the circumstances have changed a little bit and so has the whole "street racing scene." Don't give me the bullshit how I used to love going fast and bragged about speed blah blah blah because it takes the worst experiences in life to teach you the best lessons. I consider shock, whiplash, a fucked up knee, nightmares, and losing a whole crap load of weight to not eating a pretty bad experience well worthy of teaching me a good lesson. Now please, keep me out of your defending street racing arguments from now on cause there is nothing else needing to be said to me. I used to do it, now I don't. END OF STORY

Melinda

My Ride
    MDX

this has turned into a conversation between the two of you. Call each other or take it to pm.

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Holy fock, how did this turn into a young vs old argument.

Drinking and driving, doing drugs and driving or both is pure stupidity period. And for the people that go to the "Bullshits" and drinks well hell, you shouldn't be out there. And for the people out there that do nothing and watch, that is just as dumb. There's a big difference in being proactive vs reactive.

I think the "old" people say young people are irresponsible because we all have been there and have all done or experienced stupid things. But we learned and are passing that knowledge to the "younger" folks here. For the people receiving the advice and not taking it, that in itself is irresponsible. And quite a few people are really showing this ignorance.

For those who go and hang out at a street race to "chat", I think there are dozen other places that you could have been to "chat". Even that night wasn't someone trying to hold a meet at Chinook??

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Well there you go. You're way better off than most teenagers. All you have to do is work fairly hard in school? I work pretty hard in school, have a part-time job, and pay my own insurance and gas, as well as a percentage of maintenance, to drive my parent's car. My family has one car, because my parents both work at home, and so I don't just get it whenever I want. You don't have the right to bitch about all the responsibilities that are on your back, because you don't have to pay your own insurance, and you didn't have to pay for the vehicle. It sounds like you don't pay for gas or maintenance either. Geez, life is tough for you, hey?
    I never said I had it rough. I said the reason it seems driving a car you don't pay for appears to be an offence is because some people take it for granted. I don't remember ever saying I had it rough. Perhaps you can refresh my memory.

Second of all, I go to University. Outside of weekends, I have no life because more often than not, I spend more time studying in the library in one week, than most people work in one and a half weeks.

Just beause I don't pay for my insurance doesn't mean I drive like an idiot. I barely speed, I sure as hell don't race, nor do I think my car is fast enough to be so. And if I do get a ticket, my ass is bussing it home from 8am to 10pm when I need to go home. On this board (and many like it I'm sure), it's the teenagers/people who drive recklessly and don't think of any consequences because their mommy/daddy doesn't care and will bail them out.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    88 solownoma

It's so easy for you kids with your own cars to say shit like that. If I get a single speeding ticket, a serious one anyways, then that will be it for me driving my parent's car. I don't earn enough to pay my own insurance for a year for my own car, let alone gas, maintenance, and the initial cost of the vehicle itself. And I'm not the one who can fuck around and my parents still pay for everything. I already pay for everything myself, except the actual cost of the vehicle, and if I fuck up, I just won't be driving anymore.

man sorry to say this but shut up
    like its not like you have it rough either you have a brand new car you get to drive sometimes and only pay for under you parents insurence which is probaly only like 20% of the time or whatever
    and like you said your 17 and you've only been driving for a year so of course your insurence is gonna be high you have no background to go on
    but there is some people out there who buy there own cars work and go to school and pay for full time insurence so don;t go bashing people about getting it easy when you have it easy to

I have a spotless driving record, not even a parking ticket, and I am paying 25% more per year to be insured under my parents than they are paying ALL TOGETHER for the two of them.
    i would hope you have a clean driving record

but yeah like if i could go under my parents i would too cuz insurance is expensive, consider yourself lucky man

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast