Quantcast
"Contaminated Grow Operations" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Contaminated Grow Operations"

My Ride
    335i

Default "Contaminated Grow Operations"

Just wondering what you'd have to do to get one of these back on the market?

The properties are selling for very cheap, I was hoping someone had some info on this. Also, how does one go about making an offer?

Does one have to still mention that it was a grow op after it has been cleaned?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    MDX

Default Re: "Contaminated Grow Operations"

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Just wondering what you'd have to do to get one of these back on the market?

The properties are selling for very cheap, I was hoping someone had some info on this. Also, how does one go about making an offer?

Does one have to still mention that it was a grow op after it has been cleaned?
    By cleaning, do you mean replacing the drywall, carpet, etc. From what I have heard, there is a lot of work to make the places safe to live in again.

Most are complete reno's or are torn down. The high humidity from the grow op causes toxic molds to grow everywhere. If it's cheap, it better be selling for just the land.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Former grow operations have a Health Hazard Warning registered on title. I am not sure how much a grow operation mediation costs, generally it entails stripping everything down, treating the wood and starting fresh again. Offers on grow operations are handled through Court of Queen's bench. The Courts like to see clean, condition free offers and a deposit much accompany the offer.

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Some of those cleanup jobs could take upwards of $20-$30k to clean up.. it's basically gutting out the whole house, scrubbing it down, and rebuilding the interior..

I do believe the growup must be disclosed.. I heard it has to be registered on title for a period of time.

if your interested in purchasing a ex grow op house theres one right behind me

Originally posted by GQBalla
    if your interested in purchasing a ex grow op house theres one right behind me
    Did you get warehouse-direct pricing?

a somewhat of a friend bought a duplex in Bankview that's a grow op.. he had to strip the whole thing down and redo the whole house.. not sure how he's doing with it.. but it's a lot of work..

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I think we're all interested in hearing what ashee has to say on the subject.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Default former grow ops

We had one for sale down the street, it went for higher than some of the other non-contaminated houses, I couldn't figure that one out for the life of me.

Basically the CRHA comes in checks air quality etc, if it passes you can live in it. Pathetic! I don't even like living near it.

Kritafo

http://www.calgaryrealestatelink.com...ana%20grow-ops

This is an interesting article on it.

You can find grow ops on a regular basis on sites that have Foreclosure listings.

Kritafo

My Ride
    BMW E70

Here is a former Grow-Op that just came on the market. CIBC is the vendor for this one.

Braeside Grow House

MLS C3226638
    Last edited by HRD2PLZ; 08-24-2006 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I think we're all interested in hearing what ashee has to say on the subject.
    haha She should be throwing her 2 or 3 cents worth in here any minute now
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I looked into grow-op houses briefly earlier this year.

The realtor that I was talking with told me two things
    1.) No one can sell a house unless it has been deemed liveable byt the city. So what she told me was that if I buy a grow op house (even from teh bank) it has already passed some sort of certification saying its healthy to live in.
    2.) When selling a grow house You have to disclose that it is a (or was) a grow op house.

Not only do these houses have issues with mold, but you may also find serious structural issues (Ie holes in foundation to hide secret vent pipes to sewer, holes in walls, shotty electrical wiring) You have to remember that the ruthless drug lords (lol) who were using these houses were not concerned about the resale value of the home.

1-10 grow op houes burn to the ground.... Might be a good way to make some money off insurance?? hahah
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Model S

I dont believe the part about it having to be in liveable condition to sell it but I could be wrong. Ive seen several grow op houses for sale that were as high as 80k in renos to make liveable again.

It depends on the place. Many of them have to be stripped right down to the frame. And then you have to disclose it was a growup I think, so its like selling an accident car.

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Originally posted by broken_legs
    I looked into grow-op houses briefly earlier this year.

The realtor that I was talking with told me two things
    1.) No one can sell a house unless it has been deemed liveable byt the city. So what she told me was that if I buy a grow op house (even from teh bank) it has already passed some sort of certification saying its healthy to live in.

Yup, you're right.

For it to be forsale to the average Joe, it has to already have passed the air quality tests, and be deemed liveable.

Already looked into this aswell

My Ride
    BMW E70

I attended a seminar hosted by the Calgary Real Estate Board and CPS on grow houses and it was amazing at the horrid conditions a lot of these homes are in. Of course, for the purposes of the seminar, they showed us the worst of the worst. The structural integrity of many of the homes we were shown was severely compromised. I am not going to guess on costs of remediation, but I do know it can be quite substantial.
    Last edited by HRD2PLZ; 08-24-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    I attended a seminar hosted by the Calgary Real Estate Board and CPS on grow houses and it was amazing at the horrid conditions a lot of these homes are in. Of course, for the purposes of the seminar, they showed us the worst of the worst. The structural integrity of many of the homes we were shown was severely compromised. I am not going to guess on costs of remediation, but I do know it is quite substantial.
    Many Realtors won't sell a former grow operation because they aren't comfortable with it. I had a client last year who wanted to purchase one and I ended up referring them to another agent in my office because I didn't want the liability or guilty conscience of selling them a house I couldn't stand behind.
    that house you posted. how come it says "This property can NOT be viewd. NO SHOWINGS."? why aren't you allowed to see it?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

If a grow house is bought and re-finished to meet the standards is it still considered as an ex-grow opp, when u resell??

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by dj_honda

that house you posted. how come it says "This property can NOT be viewd. NO SHOWINGS."? why aren't you allowed to see it?
    I am not the listing Realtor for that property. My only guess would be the house is not safe for showings. One of the many schedules for the purchase contract will outline that the house is bought in "as-is" condition. I would imagine one could look through the windows but I bet the structural integrity of this home has been compromised and neither the bank or listing Realtor/Brokerage want to take on the liability in the event something happens during a showing.

Originally posted by superman1
    If a grow house is bought and re-finished to meet the standards is it still considered as an ex-grow opp, when u resell??
    Yes. As far as I have been told, even a remediated home will have the Health Hazard warning registered on title. I know as per my Broker's instructions, anything we list that was a former grow-operation must be disclosed in the listing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast