Quantcast
Rx-8 Recall? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx-8 Recall?

My Ride

Default Rx-8 Recall?

Looks like a supposed recall got leaked, some rx-8 owners may need new motors.

I hope the rx-8 owners will keep the rest of us updated, to see what happens with this, and wether or not they get a letter.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/822

Let us know whats up.

this quote kind of irk'ed me

In the video, dealers said problems with the RX-8 were unfairly lowering Mazda customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda informed the dealers that RX-8 owners would continue to be surveyed, but that the responses would not factor into dealer
    customer-satisfaction scores
    I've always like mazda as a company, but this is just shifty -- "We don't like you guys complaining about your cars, so your views don't count"

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Omg, what a disaster. First they had to offer refunds because it wasn't making the advertised power. Now they are replacing engines...

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Default Re: Rx-8 Recall?

Originally posted by Crymson
    Looks like a supposed recall got leaked, some rx-8 owners may need new motors.

I hope the rx-8 owners will keep the rest of us updated, to see what happens with this, and wether or not they get a letter.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/822

Let us know whats up.

this quote kind of irk'ed me

I've always like mazda as a company, but this is just shifty -- "We don't like you guys complaining about your cars, so your views don't count"

The Rx8 boards are lit up about all this. Mazda has really fucked up on this whole issue. I myself am am on to my thrid engine. I never have abused the car and was up to date on all my service and TSB's.

I am so glad I leased the car. It's a shame really because it is such a fun car to drive. When my lease is up I'll check out these cars:

G35 coupe
    Acura TL
    Maxima
    Mustang GT Convertible
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

ouch that sucks!!!
    i love rx8's too

My Ride
    BMW E46

Default Re: Re: Rx-8 Recall?

Originally posted by rotten42

When my lease is up I'll check out these cars:

G35 coupe
    Acura TL
    Maxima
    Mustang GT Convertible
    you should add a bimmer of some kind to that list..... trust me.

My Ride

I guess it will be like the 3rd gen rx-7's -- after about 10 years of discovering manufacturer defects and designing parts, the aftermarket community will have corrected for all the common failures, and produce a reliable car 10 years after it rolled off the assembly lines. Far too late to save the reputation of the car.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Wow I didn't know that the rx-8 was such a shit-box. I guess Ford really made their presence felt in that company in their time as part owner.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Wow I didn't know that the rx-8 was such a shit-box. I guess Ford really made their presence felt in that company in their time as part owner.....
    it has nothing to do with Ford. This car is all done in Japan.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Default Re: Re: Re: Rx-8 Recall?

Originally posted by JspecB16

you should add a bimmer of some kind to that list..... trust me.

I like the BMW's but the mark up on a new one is just plain stupid. Much higher than most cars. I was looking at them before I got my RX8 but decided against it.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

um, BMW isn't that reliable either. And when they break down, they cost an arm and a leg to fix.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

here are some quotes taken from the RX8 boards that might explain the issure further:

"Mazda already knows of the potential for carbon buildup in this engine. The proof of that is in the shape of the closing edge of the exhaust ports and the wedge shape of the side seals. You know they did all of their testing on conventional "genuine Mazda oil" yet they still have carbon issues and have always had them. These problems are nothing new. It is just them coming around and finally admitting that it is an issue that needs to be dealt with. Back in the 70's, Mazda experimented with the side exhaust port but did not do it. Why? They had carbon issues that resulted in carbon collecting in the ports and breaking seals. You know they used conventional oils back then too as practically everyone did. The modern day solution to it was to use more accurate oil metering techniques than just dumping it down the carb like the old cars in the 70's, wedge shaped side seals to help remove any carbon buildup from sticking them in place, and the gradual closing edge shape on the exhaust ports to help scrape away any carbon. None of this is a new issue and none of it is a problem that didn't exist before synthetic oils. That is just their scapegoat for it.

Come on Mazda, just admit what the problem really is and make us all happy."

"I have a source which states the previous recalibrations on the MOP and fuel profiles which originally were designed to address this issue are ultimately to blame. More oil to lubricate ... more fuel to burn the oil. Increased premature wear and deterioration of side, corner and apex seals has led to more engine failures and diminished engine longevity. The "damage", if any, has already been done to the engines and they are looking for the damaged ones and replacing them."

"I wonder how much more aggressive the MOP profile will be at cruise and idle. That has to have an affect on emissions ... and if more fuel is needed to burn off the oil then consumption has to be affected. Unless they are just going to increase oil flow without changing anything else. Curious that they would increase the volume of oil burned ...in favor of increasing the viscosity for better lubrication. It would be interesting to see the cost/benefit analysis.

They clearly don't want to lean the fuel out and generate more heat ... they have already had to address heat issues with another recall.

Just seems to me they (or we) are between a rock and a hard place. There is little margin for movement in either direction when dancing on the fence rail. "

LIke I said before, this is a real shame because it is a fun car to drive and I liked the comcept of a rotary engine. Other than the engine (big issue) the car has worked fantastic. The gad mileage wasn;t bad. 18-19 in the city and I've gotten 23-24 on the highway. For me this was accpetable.

My Ride

it has nothing to do with Ford. This car is all done in Japan.
    Apparently I'm having a really hard time with sarcasm and humore today......I may have to log out and start working if things don't get better.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I'm thinking the is the last rotary we'll see in a car....

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Apparently I'm having a really hard time with sarcasm and humore today......I may have to log out and start working if things don't get better.

you should have used a smiley thing..hard to know otherwise.

I had no idea they had such engine problems, that is ridiculous. If I bought a car and needed my entire engine recalled I would be furious, and sell it and get something else for sure.

What they should do, is recall them all, put in a real engine that makes some torque and decent HP, and make all their customer's happy. The RX-7 was way faster than the RX-8, granted it had 2 turbos but I don't see why they can't do that with this one. I don't know why they made the new one slower than the old one - that doesn't usually happen. Neither were known for their reliability as I keep hearing over and over.

When I drove the RX-8 it handled pretty good, but it was slow and I wouldn't buy one based on the fact that it has a digital speedometer - for some reason I hate that, I have a much worse sense of how fast I'm accelerating. Also with a needle, you can see it in your peripheral vision.

Anyways I agree that this may be the last we see of the rotary motor, at least until they can make them reliable. A nice twin turbo V6 or small block V8 placed behind the front axle a little ways would make it a nice drive. They could probably do that too because they have such a long nose. They'd never do that, but I think it would be cool.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-23-2006 at 10:42 AM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by bspot
    I'm thinking the is the last rotary we'll see in a car....

sadly...I think you are right.

My Ride
    W213

That sucks...I was pretty fond of the RX8. Was even thinking of picking a used one up a few months ago. I guess Im glad I didnt. To think it would have been out of warranty in a couple years and then the high probability of it being unreliable

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I had no idea they had such engine problems, that is ridiculous. If I bought a car and needed my entire engine recalled I would sell it and get something else for sure.

What they should do, is recall them all, put in a real engine that makes some torque and decent HP, and make all their customer's happy. The RX-7 was way faster than the RX-8, granted it had 2 turbos but I don't see why they can't do that with this one. I don't know why they made the new one worse than the old one - that doesn't usually happen. Neither were known for their reliability as I keep hearing over and over.

When I drove the RX-8 it handled pretty good, but it was slow and I wouldn't buy one based on the fact that it has a digital speedometer - for some reason I hate that, I have a much worse sense of how fast I'm accelerating. Also with a needle, you can see it in your peripheral vision.

Anyways I agree that this may be the last we see of the rotary motor, at least until they can make them reliable. A nice twin turbo V6 or small block V8 placed behind the front axle a little ways would make it a nice drive. They could probably do that too because they have such a long nose.

I plan to get rid of it after the lease is up. The HP issue isn't that big a deal to many people. It's never been a problem for me because it has enough power to do what ever I needed it to do. Would more HP be nice...sure but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I know a couple of people with first gen RX7's. One has over 150,000kms and the other over 200,000kms....never any problems. The renisis is a new design.

The problem is with the fuel and oil metering. Only North American cars had the re-flash that decreased the power so that the cat wouldn't burn out. In Japan and Austraia for instance, they didn't have this and they aren't having the same problem with engines there.

At fisrt I didn't like the digital speedo but I really like it now. Besides, the wife can't see it when I'm driving or if she is been nosey I can switch it over to miles and reasure he that I'm only doing 80.

My Ride

you should have used a smiley thing..hard to know otherwise.
    But I'm all about the dry humour........
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

hmm bad news indeed... I hope my 2006 wont have to be recalled, unless they plan on replacing a new engine with higher power and less fuel consumption, either way still love my RX8 to death and no regret buying it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast