Quantcast
Where is the honesty in todays worksite? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the honesty in todays worksite?

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

Originally posted by l8braker

Pretty cocky for a 17 year old, especially your involvement in the Ask Leo threads as of late.

Maybe, just maybe, they see a "17 year old" and want you to do the bitch jobs to prove yourself before you touch a forklift, etc.

Work your way up, and don't complain about any job, as there are others who wish they had as much as you do!
    ^ WORD. Im 17 as well and i make only $7 an hour lol...i don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere. I work in a garage and before they would let me do oil changes i spent about a month or 2 just cleaning up shit aorund the shop and doing the bitch jobs like dumping the oil, takin out garbage. You can't expect them to let you hop on a fork lift the first day. I know if i was the employer i would want to make sure that i never let some tool come run an expencive machine.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by googe
    ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up

My Ride
    Econo-box

Originally posted by carter_prelude

^ WORD. Im 17 as well and i make only $7 an hour lol...i don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere. I work in a garage and before they would let me do oil changes i spent about a month or 2 just cleaning up shit aorund the shop and doing the bitch jobs like dumping the oil, takin out garbage. You can't expect them to let you hop on a fork lift the first day. I know if i was the employer i would want to make sure that i never let some tool come run an expencive machine.
    True, but a recently issed certification says that I know more then how to drive them, but max loads, ect.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.

My Ride
    Econo-box

Yeah, of course it will take time for respect and all that junk.

I've driven forklifts.

I've driven heavy machinery.

I am experienced on them.

This is all besides the point. Employers are dishonest.

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

I do agree with you on how being lied to by the
    hiring lady was stupid,

But everything else I don't.

I worked at an aftermarket performance show in
    Ft McMurray when I was in grade 12 and I was THRILLED
    to get $10/hr. I thought it was an insane amount of
    money, but I had to do BITCH work. Sweep the floors,
    clean the oil trap organize the tools etc etc.

Then after about 5 months they let me start working on
    cars so I learned a lot.

My point, regardless of how shitty something is,
    if you show that you're driven that will be noticed
    and will be rewarded.

Don't quit because "it's not what you wanted" or because
    "it's too hard". You're 17 so just suck it up for now.

You are, infact, going to have to do work you don't want
    to do sometime in your life, and when you have a house
    and a family you won't be able to just up and quit.
    Get used to it....
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I agree with all of those who have said basically "put in your time now, reap the benifits later"

When I started my job in cold lake as an industrial electrian, you think wiring shit up is easy and effortless. Well try pulling cable (large and small sized) for 6 weeks in a row, working out of town, in the middle of fucking nowhere with no cell phone reception and 2 hours away from any town. After that I got transfered to a different spot with was about x1000 better and no pulling cable! Stop your fucking bitching about TOUGH JOBS. I garuntee someone has had it better than you and got a great job when they were 17. Thats about 5% of the population. Everyone else has had a shitty job and probably stuck it out and didn't get a whole lot out of it in the end. It motivates you do strive for better things in life as far as I'm concerned.

While I will agree with you leaving for health benifits (the employer should have provided you with some sort of breathing apparatus with all the toxic fuse of that sort, it's law under OH&S), I don't agree leaving after one day with the fork lift job. In all honesty, you said you have your fork lift certificate but your 17, how many years experience could you possibly have for someone just to turn you loose? If I was the employer, there is no hope in hell I'd just hand you keys and say 'this and that needs to be done I'll talk to you at the end of the day.' I don't agree with head hunters putting up false claims in general though. That is just down right cunty!

And Glenn, earlier you mentioned that understaffing means dishonest workplaces? Welcome to Calgary if you just moved.

Take a drive through foothills industrial park and look at all the signs posted outside their buildings.

If you want a job with minimal/lighter lifting, go work IT, deli, bakery, waiting tables, washing dishes, mopping floors etc. Oh wait, you wanted to make $15/hr! Oh well nevermind then.

Maybe you should try being a transvestite prostitute! No heavy lifting and I'll could imagine you'd make more than 15/hr! You seem like the kind of guy that would enjoy a gentle touch from an older man dubbed 'Big John'
    Last edited by msommers; 08-30-2006 at 11:11 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Econo-box

I haven't listed EVERY reason I didn't stay at that perticular job.

I agree entirely that you have to work hard to get somewhere good.

I didn't want to make 15/hr. Everyone is putting words in my mouth. I'm happy with anything over 7 as long as I remotly enjoy my surroundings.

The employer trusted me on a pallatejack that can easily snap someone in half just as much as anything else, all they take is common sense to drive.

In NO WAY is this a "im not making enough money" or a "I left because It was heavy and I got hot" or any other type of thread. This is about honesty. This is about why employers cant be honest with you when you get hired about safty concerns, its my right as a future employee to know!

And Glenn, earlier you mentioned that understaffing means dishonest workplaces? Welcome to Calgary if you just moved.
    I Know thats how it is, but what Im trying to get to the bottom of is why are there endless groups of people jobless and jobs that have the wrong title to get people to work for them. Its ridiculous that they need to lie to get workers.
    Last edited by glennc; 08-31-2006 at 12:23 AM.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Some of you fellas have a very good point. But im sick of hearing "when i was 17 i was making 4.95/h" shut a hell up...when you were 17 which was probably 4-5 years ago the price of gas was .60/L, the cost of a big mac meal was 4 bux and cost for a pair of shoes was 70. Now that calgary has grown obviously the prices have all skyrocketed, gas 1.05/L, big mac meal close to 6 bux and the same shoes that were 70 are now a 100! So shut up with ur god damn "i was making such and such 5 years ago" The economy has changed.

Glennc brother, if you plan on getting a better job where u wont get assigned to lift boxes all day then college/univ is ur best bet!
    Wouldnt it be nice to finish 4 years or even 2 years of univ and then sit infront of a computer while you fuck around and get paid 40 an hour?! I know it would, so get a job that wont force u physically, work there just to have some side cash and what not so that when ur done school u can go to univ!

No hard feelings for anyone, we are all brothers!

Originally posted by adidas
    Some of you fellas have a very good point. But im sick of hearing "when i was 17 i was making 4.95/h" shut a hell up...when you were 17 which was probably 4-5 years ago the price of gas was .60/L, the cost of a big mac meal was 4 bux and cost for a pair of shoes was 70. Now that calgary has grown obviously the prices have all skyrocketed, gas 1.05/L, big mac meal close to 6 bux and the same shoes that were 70 are now a 100! So shut up with ur god damn "i was making such and such 5 years ago" The economy has changed.

Glennc brother, if you plan on getting a better job where u wont get assigned to lift boxes all day then college/univ is ur best bet!
    Wouldnt it be nice to finish 4 years or even 2 years of univ and then sit infront of a computer while you fuck around and get paid 40 an hour?! I know it would, so get a job that wont force u physically, work there just to have some side cash and what not so that when ur done school u can go to univ!

big mac meals were about a 50 cents less, and shoes cost more back then

edit: oh and try and be a bit more tactful than "shut a hell up" (whatever the fuck that means, i assume you meant "shut the fuck up")
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by 403Gemini

big mac meals were about a 50 cents less, and shoes cost more back then

edit: oh and try and be a bit more tactful than "shut a hell up" (whatever the fuck that means, i assume you meant "shut the fuck up&quot
    shoes cost less?! where do u shop at? the thrifty store?! the last time i checked shoes were much cheaper back in the day then they are now! as for the big mac meal...i havent ate there in a few years, but last time i was in there with some friends the meal was 5.79 or some shit and 5 years ago it was 4.59

but that doesnt matter...my whole point was that stuff was alot cheaper so thats why ppl were making a low wage working at a fast food place.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

shoes cost less?! where do u shop at? the thrifty store?! the last time i checked shoes were much cheaper back in the day then they are now! as for the big mac meal...i havent ate there in a few years, but last time i was in there with some friends the meal was 5.79 or some shit and 5 years ago it was 4.59

but that doesnt matter...my whole point was that stuff was alot cheaper so thats why ppl were making a low wage working at a fast food place.
    Oh come on. For highschool students living at home, the "cost of living" hasn't gone up in proportion with the wages. Price of a big mac meal goes up 20% and that means that a 150% increase in wages is in line?How many fucking Big Mac meals do you eat in a week?

Highschool students are earning $12+ per hour doing shit jobs because of the labour shortage, not because of an increased cost of living or because you're working harder than people did 5 years ago.

What this all comes down to is no 15-17 year old without a highschool education should be "complaining" about $12+ dollars an hour. Which to re-iterate, is NOT what glennc was doing.

My Ride
    MDX

Funny, I used to spend $150+ on kicks back in the day. Fuck, Jordans used to go for just under $200.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

just finish school and after you have a degree, you should have a plethora of jobs/companies to choose from.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Funny, I used to spend $150+ on kicks back in the day. Fuck, Jordans used to go for just under $200.
    Okay and how much where jordans 21 when they first came out?

around 229...thx for playing tho!

My Ride
    Econo-box

Exactly. The cost of living isn't the only part, what about rent and property? In the last 5 years the rent of a small apartment has gone up a decent chunk. I've im going to be expected to support myself possibly as soon as in 6 months, 5.90 ain't gonna cut it

Originally posted by mekeni
    just finish school and after you have a degree, you should have a plethora of jobs/companies to choose from.
    Thats the game plan, for the future. I just wish I knew how I wanted to get where I want to go. I plan to go to Sait sometime this month to check out exactly what they have to offer.

Hahaha, did you like my McBitch comment that much?
    Last edited by glennc; 08-31-2006 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    Ford F-150

Hahaha, did you like my McBitch comment that much?
    No because you've only upgraded yourself to beyonds bitch.

just playin

My Ride
    Econo-box

It's cool, beyond sucks anyways. I'm starting to care less and less that a bunch of 22 year old single guys are laughing at me.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by glennc
    It's cool, beyond sucks anyways. I'm starting to care less and less that a bunch of 22 year old single guys are laughing at me.
    Now now, dont go and slit your wrists now kiddo, it aint that bad.

My Ride
    Ford F-150

I just had to get you back someway b/c you got me for saying beaking

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast