Quantcast
Where is the honesty in todays worksite? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the honesty in todays worksite?

My Ride
    335i

You sound like a bitch to be honest. You worked in a factory for a couple hours and quit because they didn't throw you on the forklift the first hour you were there? I'm willing to bet that any decent company would never let an employee on heavy machinery without some training or direct supervision for a few days until they were confident that you didn't pad your resume.

Also, $15/hr for a 17 year old? You should consider yourself lucky, and if you think that's not enough you're in for a surprise because theres only a handful of people lucky enough to make more than that with the education level you have. Hell, there are people with post secondary education that start at that rate.

Leaving your employer like that on a whim only demonstrates that you have little credibility as an employee, and has little to do with dishonesty in the workplace.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

glennc does have a valid point about employers misrepresenting a job. I've had jobs where they described my position and my responsibilities only to end up doing a job that was quite different.

and on the other end, I don’t know how many times I've caught people lying on a resume. People must think that nobody it going to check their references or qualifications.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Originally posted by khtm
    Yeah don't they pay like $14 an hour at Dairy Queen nowadays?
    HAHA I wish, I worked there for 3 and a half years through high school and my first year of college, and only made $8.50 an hour. That was just over a year ago. If it jumped up that much that fast, wowzas. Or I could have been screwed over... story of my life .

Oh well I am on to way better things now

--forced

lol i worked in a computer store back in grade 8-11 for $6/hr on saturdays
    then moved to a movie theatre for $5.95 but got more hours. until grade 12
    then worked at joey tomatoes which paid $6 and then tip payout every 2 weeks
    then worked at A&B sound as customer service for $6.50 and raised to $7 for a year after high school
    then went to staples and got paid 7.65 and left after a year making 8.13
    then went to future shop worked on comission. some months averaged around 15-20 an hour. other months averaged 10-12 an hour.
    then canada trust for 12.85/hr and left after a yr when making 13.02.

Now i work at ING and make... well... enough.

But im 23 now. Everybody has to climb the ladder. Yea u're trained on the forklift. grats! As weapon_r said though, they most likely would have had you doing the fork lift (supervised) in about 1-2 months, and after PROVING you can do it they would have probably bumped you up to fulltime forklift.

$15/hr at 17? man i wish i could have had that...
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Model S

ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    You sound like a bitch to be honest. You worked in a factory for a couple hours and quit because they didn't throw you on the forklift the first hour you were there? I'm willing to bet that any decent company would never let an employee on heavy machinery without some training or direct supervision for a few days until they were confident that you didn't pad your resume.

Also, $15/hr for a 17 year old? You should consider yourself lucky, and if you think that's not enough you're in for a surprise because theres only a handful of people lucky enough to make more than that with the education level you have. Hell, there are people with post secondary education that start at that rate.

Leaving your employer like that on a whim only demonstrates that you have little credibility as an employee, and has little to do with dishonesty in the workplace.
    i completely agree with weaponr. if you didnt like it talk to someone you dont quit right away. sure the powdercoating place may have been a job hazard but what about masks? couldnt you have asked them for a mask? and the forklift job...sometimes you will have to do stuff not stated on the job description. get used to it, thats life and every job out there.

im getting sick of these kids quit every job because its not exactly as stated. suck it up and build some character. the real world isnt gonna be full of your parents coddling you every step of the way.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by googe
    ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up

exactly.....His issue is with honesty of employers and not with the wages....nbut as usual the A.D.D. types here just run with their own thing.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Econo-box

Okay, it was 13/hr, and money isn't what I want a job for.

Im 17, I still live at home, I don't have "bills" cept for my car.

I didn't quit because I can't do manual labour. Im not small, I can lift. I quit because I don't want to be working for someone who lies to my face every turn of the road. Honesty is important to me, and working for someone who is dis-honest would eat me from the inside out.

Yeah, everyone has had a shitty job. Mine was mcdonalds and hire-a-student. I started small like everyone else, 5.90 an hour and I was basically the McBitch. I slowly worked my way up over the past 4 years, experience is everything.

I just think its not right that employers lie to lure you in, and once your in just stick you at the bitch jobs. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much if there was a chance after a month, 2 months or longer that I might become a forklifter. But the truth is, there are permenant forklifters and a huge line in front of me to become them. It wouldn't have been a problem if I had a chance to BECOME a forklifter. I'm not about to waste my time doing manual labour if its not gonna get me anywhere. I'd rather take my work elsewhere and get somewhere from it.

It's good to see that theres a unanamous dislike for me in these forums. :P

Good point, but from my experience entirely not true. At bobcat within 1 hour I was in small front loaders, and by the third day driving full size excavators. If you present yourself as an intelligent person, chances are they'll get you working on machinery faster then you might think.

Overall, I just wish they hadn't have misrepresented the job, so I could say no thanks and find somewhere with even a remote future to support myself upon my 18th birthday.

This is sounding more like a "Who has had the worst job before teh boom" so I'll post mine. when I was 17 I worked as a dishpig at Earl's making $5/hour plus tips. Don't let that tip thing fool you. that's about 75cents/hour. I would start around 5:30pm. The resturant closed at 1am but I would often be washing crap until 4am. I wouldn't even take breaks because no one would cover for me and I feared that if I took a 15min break, there would be 4 piles of plates as high as my eyeballs (literally).

Boy did I use that as motivation to get me through university and to never work in the kitchen again!

Glenn, in today's market, especially the labour market they will try anything to get you in....especially the "wages up to." which means you won't get that wage. As for why you had a totally different job..that I have no idea. prettty scary that the headhunter is even misleading you.

My Ride
    Econo-box

Yeah, I learned that now that they will do almost anything to get a working set of arms and legs to move the stack of shipments waiting.

Its just a shame they can't do it the morally right way. Posting a huge colourful sign.

My Ride
    Model S

what does the headhunter care? she gets paid to get people in there. she'll do whatever she can and take the money and run. like most people, shes only looking out for #1

Wow with all the people of varying ages here I'm surprised no one has stated a starting job below $5. Back in the day, Wendy's for 2 years, started at $4.25 after 1 year raise to $4.35, and this wasn't my first job either.

Anyways back to the point, I agree glennc that leaving both jobs was a good idea, if there wasn't ever a chance to move to forklifter then get out. I don't agree with what you're saying in concept though, if you're going to go through life thinking that every job you apply for MUST have every job responsibility listed on the job description, you're in for a rude rude surprise. There really is no such thing as "I got exactly what I applied for" in the real world, but I agree you should still get to do the fundamental things that you applied for.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

You know what, your 17 and in school. Get a backbone and do some manual work. If you show that you are a hard worker you'll be more likely to be moved up quicker. I am working as a 'Project Coordinator' and still have to do labour work. I have a diplome from SAIT and I was shown the responsiblilites that I was supposed to take care of. Labour work wasn't included but I do it anyways.

As a side note get everything people say in writing and then you have a valid arguement. You prove that they said something, ie write it down and get both of you to sign it. A contract of your wage and responsibilities. That way even if you are asked to to labour work you are still getting the wages that you asked for.

BTW I started at Safeway when I was 17 for $4.55/hr and I believe that was $0.50 over minimum wage. And let me tell you pushing shopping carts in the snow really really sucks. Must be nice to start at $15/hr, even now I don't make a lot more than that and I have a tonne of experience in the construction field.

My Ride
    Econo-box

Originally posted by Orbie
    Wow with all the people of varying ages here I'm surprised no one has stated a starting job below $5. Back in the day, Wendy's for 2 years, started at $4.25 after 1 year raise to $4.35, and this wasn't my first job either.

Anyways back to the point, I agree glennc that leaving both jobs was a good idea, if there wasn't ever a chance to move to forklifter then get out. I don't agree with what you're saying in concept though, if you're going to go through life thinking that every job you apply for MUST have every job responsibility listed on the job description, you're in for a rude rude surprise. There really is no such thing as "I got exactly what I applied for" in the real world, but I agree you should still get to do the fundamental things that you applied for.
    Yeah, thats what I was going for. Fundementals. If I ended up doing manual labour for a couple of months that would suck, but no point in stickin around for anything more then a day since I found out people who have been there for years are still on pallat jacks.

You know what, your 17 and in school. Get a backbone and do some manual work. If you show that you are a hard worker you'll be more likely to be moved up quicker. I am working as a 'Project Coordinator' and still have to do labour work. I have a diplome from SAIT and I was shown the responsiblilites that I was supposed to take care of. Labour work wasn't included but I do it anyways.

As a side note get everything people say in writing and then you have a valid arguement. You prove that they said something, ie write it down and get both of you to sign it. A contract of your wage and responsibilities. That way even if you are asked to to labour work you are still getting the wages that you asked for.

BTW I started at Safeway when I was 17 for $4.55/hr and I believe that was $0.50 over minimum wage. And let me tell you pushing shopping carts in the snow really really sucks. Must be nice to start at $15/hr, even now I don't make a lot more than that and I have a tonne of experience in the construction field.
    The main problem with this job was that the hiring was done by ITS, a seperate company that does temporary and permenant work. The "written agreement" was, will you work 48 hours a week? With previous jobs, I got the work I applied for. At Mcdonalds, I was a counterman and of course I had to do things off the description, but the bottom line was that I wasnt a janitor when I applied for a counterman position.

McDicks was 5.90, and even though it was a shitty job I'm glad I had it. It tought me why I need to go to school and get an education. I was taking an electric scooter home from work at 12 at night and leaving again at 4 in the morning. The days I had more time off at night I used to babysit across the street for 3 dollars an hour. It tought me the value of a dollar, and that money is hard work.

One thing that seems to be coming up alot is the thought that I can't do manual labour. I can, and am willing to, if the manual labour leads me to a better future.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by glennc

The main problem with this job was that the hiring was done by ITS, a seperate company that does temporary and permenant work. The written agreement; was, will you work 48 hours a week? With previous jobs, I got the work I applied for.
    Yes there was written contract but if there was a person who said that you would be hired for a position and payed a certain wage then get it in writing. Then take it to the management and show them. You then have a valid response to them saying the position is not open.

My Ride
    Econo-box

Next time.

Why online school? If I did that my cock would so chafed from jerking off while 'studying'...

My Ride
    Econo-box

Its just faster and allows me to have time for a job, which doesn't seem to be happeneing.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Man stop fucking complaining. I had to work in a sawmill, take the unhealthiness of your powdercoating job (the air was about 20% sawdust, it was not heated and cold as shit), make it an "industrial athlete" job, I had to take giant blocks of wood and stack it for eight hours straight, operate a forklift, wrap the lifts, fix everything that fell over all that stuff, at an absolutely breakneck pace for $14 an hour with no help. this also happened in an area with sustained 130dB noise, so you had to wear earplugs and earmuffs and didn't talk to anyone at all except on your 10 minute breaks you got every three hours.

But they only put me there to see if I was worth the trouble to train for an operator job. Those jobs are way more comfortable. AFter four weeks of the worst work I have ever had to do, I got a raise to $22 an hour and got a cushy slow job in the back where I had a nice team and got to listen to a radio.

You have to tough it out. Your 17, you should not be complaining about making $14 an hour. When I was your age I worked two jobs making maybe $7 an hour each just to get my car, and I only barely afforded it. You are going to start in the shittest job, all the time. Deal with it. They do it to see if you are worth all their trouble, and you have just proved to both of those employers you are worthless.

Employers shouldn't be misrepresenting the duties of a job regardless of age.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast