Quantcast
Type S, Type R - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Type S, Type R

Default Type S, Type R

i used to have 2 12 inch type S subs with 100RMS into each.....eventually i disconnect one sub and i really liked how it ounded wiht just one..so i decided i would get one 12 type R and give it 150-200rms for now...i think this would be better overall sounds considering what i had before where the 2 subs were overpowering...what yall think?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

the type r will hit harder. i think 1 sub is enuff. 2 is abit too much. also depends what kind of music. 12's are good for fat bass. i believe the type s is for sound quality and the type r's are for spl.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    335i

A Type R will blow the 2 type S's away...

Type R's are all about SPL.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    firebird

Good choice with alpine. I owned a type s and I loved it.

My type R 10" hits nice and hard.....I think over anything else the Alpine products are all made for Sound Quality. Thats why my whole system is type R and v12's. However, if you can, give it more than 200RMS. They can handle up to 500 RMS. I have the 300M Digital v12 for sale if you want.... 336 RMS..... all original boxes and manuals.....Amazing Amp....3 months old.... $450 OBO.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

so lets say one type R w/ 150rms

Vs.

2 type S w/ 100rms each

which will hit harder overall..sound cleaner overall?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

tyep r will hit harder in every way.
    type s will soudn clearer.. less bass
    and dont use alpine amps they are overrated in the meanin that the amps dont push as much as they are advertised.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    99 Civic

Originally posted by tegdream
    so lets say one type R w/ 150rms

Vs.

2 type S w/ 100rms each

which will hit harder overall..sound cleaner overall?
    depends on the amp
    if you're gonna use a really good amp, then I would think that the Type S will be louder just because its 200W of rms hitting (this is what I think but I'm not 100% on this)....
    seriously though, just get the 1 Type R with a good amp, but remember to get GOOD wiring!

My Ride
    firebird

Actually all Alpine gear is under-rated..... my MRD 300 claims only 300 W RMS and the Birth Sheet says 335 W RMS. Same thing with my Alpine MRD F340 4 Channel. It claims only 30 W RMS at 14.4 into 4ohms, but again the Birth Sheet says 62 W RMS into 4 ohms.

But yeah the one Alpine Type R will sound better for sure....However with 150 RMS, you will be severly under-powering the sub, and you will have a greater chance of damaging it because it will clip easier. These are SERIOUSLY power hungry subs and you will not be getting anywhere near full potential with just 150 RMS. If that is all you have, go with ONE Type S in a custom box. It will sound tighter and will be more efficient.
    Last edited by Mckenzie; 04-23-2003 at 11:55 PM.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    IS300 / SC430 / 2012 Pilot

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    Actually all Alpine gear is under-rated..... my MRD 300 claims only 300 W RMS and the Birth Sheet says 335 W RMS. Same thing with my Alpine MRD F340 4 Channel. It claims only 30 W RMS at 14.4 into 4ohms, but again the Birth Sheet says 62 W RMS into 4 ohms.

But yeah the one Alpine Type R will sound better for sure....However with 150 RMS, you will be severly under-powering the sub, and you will have a greater chance of damaging it because it will clip easier. These are SERIOUSLY power hungry subs and you will not be getting anywhere near full potential with just 150 RMS. If that is all you have, go with ONE Type S in a custom box. It will sound tighter and will be more efficient.
    I had a MRV 100M before.. and the actual rating was 10watts higher then the listed

My Ride
    FJC, S30

well what mckenzie said was true. an alpine rep told me that thier power listing is always abit lower then it really is.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    CTS-V (700+Hp), Supercharged Tundra, 1970 vette

the ol' mrv 100 actually put out decent power for being so small. They are a good little amp. I personally don't like alpine except for the headunits but they make ok stuff. Oh and i think the type r would sound better but there is something to be said about having double the cone are with 2 types so i'm not sure which would be louder.

My Ride
    2012 Elantra GLS 6spd

Run a single 12" Type R, or a pair of 10" Type R's. The 10" Type R's will give you the best sound quality by far, while at the same time kicking like a motherfucker. And the 12"'s have damn good quality too, as well as pounding like a bigger motherfucker.
    If I were you, I would run a single 10" Type R, and later add a second if you need it. They can handle 300W RMS, 1000 Peak. If you run em between 200 and 400 watts you will get the best sound and kick out of them. For subs that kick like this, though, I would recommend a remote bass knob, because they will easily overpower even the best component speakers in some songs. Same power handling as the 12"s as far as I know.
    Just my 2 cents.

-Biggie!

My Ride
    FJC, S30

but 10 inches is for a different type of music. like rock or somethin. 12 inches are for phat bass which is for mots trance/r&b/rap. which a high percentage of ppl listen to.
    Submaker.Illest.

ChronicDex is offline Banned - Can't learn dem rules
    My Ride
    2000 civic si

not to hate on alpine, but has neone else ever heard of some other companies??????? like lightning audio or nething . Calgary is all either JL or Ampine they are other companies out there that do make good shit....

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Originally posted by ChronicDex
    not to hate on alpine, but has neone else ever heard of some other companies??????? like lightning audio or nething . Calgary is all either JL or Ampine they are other companies out there that do make good shit....
    Are you asking a question or stating something?

Anyways, yes there are many companys that sell in calgary, actually all of them do, you just gotta know where to go.

I can start listing, but its a long list.
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    Probe

I had two Type R 12's... Damn it made me gizz my pants. Would hit so hard my rear view mirrors would shift so much I couldnt see cars anymore. Made everything start to rattle after a month or so. you couldnt breathe, and your hair hurt after
    Oh I miss those subs.

ChronicDex is offline Banned - Can't learn dem rules
    My Ride
    2000 civic si

surfer tech you got the wrong way around i think... if i remember correctly 10's are for hip/hop, rap, r&b cause they gaster the 12's are for liek the rock and metal shit.... I could be wrong though.

My Ride
    firebird

surfer tech you got the wrong way around i think... if i remember correctly 10's are for hip/hop, rap, r&b cause they gaster the 12's are for liek the rock and metal shit.... I could be wrong though.
    Traditionaly rock music has faster bass lines which are quite punchy, and a smaller sub is needed to keep the music sounding tight. That is why 10s are great for rock.

For Hip Hop/Rap etc, the larger surface area of the cone enables it to move more air, and create deeper bass notes. This kind of music is known for lower notes, and more sustained bass lines. If you want boom, go with a 12.

I have never liked 12s for listeneing to rock. I have always found them to be sloppy. And I have always found that a 10 hits the bass lines which more accuracy and defenition for rock. That is why I have always sold my 12s to get 10s.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

The reason we're just mentioning Alpine, is because the author of this thread asked a question about an Alpine product.

I have 2 10" Alpine Type R's driven by a 1000W 2-channel Clarion amplifier. I don't have the gain turned up all the way, and I don't have the seperate bass control on my dash, but they still pound damn hard. Unfortunately, since I don't have a large enough gauge of power wire, I melt fuses too (hehehe), but they're excellent. I'm very happy with them, and all of my other Alpine components.

Another factor in having a good sounding system, is what type of box you use, how big it is, and where it's positioned in your car. The larger the box, the more resonance you'll get, and the more your car will shake to pieces. The smaller the box, the less resonance you'll get, but it'll be cleaner. What kind of box, whether it be ported, sealed, or a custom enclosure, also has a large factor on how your subs will sound.

At least, that's my understanding of it. If I'm wrong, someone correct me please, so I can learn too.
    Last edited by calarina; 05-08-2003 at 01:48 PM.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

no chronicdex i believe i am right. i used to work for a stereo company and trust me.. you have it the otehr way around. the 10's provide the tighter bass for rock music. and the 12's provide the deeper bass for hip hop music.
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast