Quantcast
Concerns of rain during house construction (no siding) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerns of rain during house construction (no siding)

Default Concerns of rain during house construction (no siding)

Looks like my builder is taking a risk (as they've mentioned verbally to me).

They can't find any siding crew and don't want to stop progress so they've continued to complete the inside of the house such as installing the insulation, vapour barrier and dry wall.

Now with the weather forecasting rain/thunderstorms for a duration of a week, I'm concerned with the possibility of mold growth and the reliability of wet insulation. There's no house wrap (ie. Tyvek) nor siding on the sheathing .

Builder mentioned that they'll take the risk and if it needs to be fixed, it will. I'm quite doubtful that they'll inspect for mold etc. since it's been drywalled.

Anyone else in this situation or has gone through this? What's your advise?

thanks
    Last edited by Foz; 09-12-2006 at 10:07 PM.

My Ride
    89Mustang

After the storms have finished, peel back part of the outer sheeting where the siding mounts to, and check for moisture buildup, if any, watch it for the next couple of days, if it doesn't evaporate, or if you can still see it in the insulation or the back of the drywall, tell them to re-do the whole thing.

NO PAYMENT FOR SHODDY WORKMANSHIP

Take it from someone in the industry, stick it to them.
    Everyone looks up to a Roofer..

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Why arent they atleast wraping the building?

That's what I was thinking but they say they can't find crews to do the work.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

What homebuilder?

My Ride
    2006 Jetta TDI,2006 Saab 92-x,2013 F350 Platinum

One of our friends ran into the same situation. They ended up with MOLD because of it.

I see them do it all the time in Evanston here. They frame it, then they insulate and drywall. A month later they put the siding on. Amazing the crap they get away with.

^ MOLD is your biggest concern. I knew somebody this happend to also. It was last summer with all the heavy rain. The builder drywalled the mositure inside the walls, and finished the inside compleatly. Of course mold grew in the walls and the builder ended up having to gut the entire place.

They may be taking the risk, but your also taking the risk of being displaced while they dismantal your home and put it back together in proper order. Plus the risk that all the mold spores arn't removed.

I would kick scream and fight this one untill they see it your way.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

So I talked to some people at work here and we came to the same consensus. First off there might not be any problems at all if the rain stays light and there isn’t much wind driving the rain directly at the building face. The wind will push A LOT of the water in and through the wall system to the vapour barrier and then it will drip down the base and leak into the house possibly creating puddles at the floor. This will most likely ruin some of the gypsum. You may also have some mold problems if it doesn’t dry out properly before the building paper goes up.

So, my boss recommended that you talk to your lawyer about getting some sort of statement in writing from the building that if any problems arise from water damage due to their poor construction order of the house that they will be help responsible for all cost occurred to fix and repair. This must go past the 1 year home warrantee as the mold may not be severe by that time. He also recommended that they pay for someone to come in and test for mold in say 9 months time (before the 1 year is up) and then go from there.

But don’t get too worried about it, if the rain keeps coming straight down you don’t have much to worry about. But make sure to cover your ass just incase. Get everything in writing.

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

Dude - this is HUGE! Document everything. Copy the letter you will send(wink wink) to the builder to the Home Warranty folk. Note all the items you've listed here. Copy your lawyer. Now, while your New Home Warranty is 1 year, the Builders Liability remains on the house for 10 (yes I mean TEN) years if you can LEGALLY prove an pre-exsisting deficiency. This is intended for land settlement over long periods, intentional smooth overs, etc... but it is there if you can prove it. Pictures of the inside and outside NOW! You will probably be fine ... but a little pre-emptive work now will secure your rights for probably longer than you want to keep your place.

The builder has gambled here ... you don't need to.

"If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, what makes you think you'll have time to do it again"

Take pictures and document everything like posted above, that would be your foundation to start with! Even go to the extent of printing off the weather network daily weather report and attach that to the pictures. Builder's are not your friend.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

booms are such a horrible time to build a house. Anybody that can pick up a hammer calls themselves a builder.

I blame the home builders not the trades. The builders are so greedy that they take orders for too many houses making it impossible for a coordinated effort to build a house in a reasonable time. (3 months) 1 year is just a stupid amount of time to build a typical house.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by rotten42
    booms are such a horrible time to build a house. Anybody that can pick up a hammer calls themselves a builder.

I blame the home builders not the trades. The builders are so greedy that they take orders for too many houses making it impossible for a coordinated effort to build a house in a reasonable time. (3 months) 1 year is just a stupid amount of time to build a typical house.
    It's not a matter of the builders being greedy (maybe some are, but not all of them neither)

The bigger problem is the trades. Builders usually project so many sales a month based on what they think is manageable with the trades that they have. The trades know they have the upper hand and have the builders by the nuts - "You don't want to cough up the cash? I know another builder that will - see you later......" When a builder relies on a trade they think they've secured and the trade walks, it creates problems.

You can't blame the builder either for taking too many orders either because the developers are nesting lots. Builders are alotted so many lots per phase and as soon as the phase opens, they're instantly sold creating an influx of sales all at once. Once the lots are sold the builder has to wait a few more months for another phase and it starts all over again. The builder can only sell houses based on the number lots they get.

3 months IMO is a little too fast to build a house. 5-6 is reasonable. 1 year is stupid but realistic these days.

Back to the original matter though, as long as there is some sort of building paper like black tar paper or TYVEK, and the soffit and roofing is on, you'll have a better chance of keeping the house dry. If it's exposed OSB or in some cases actual plywood, all you can do is hope that it was a good framer that put all the joints together tight. You also have to remember it takes a lot of precipitation to cause any kind of serious water damage.
    Last edited by frozenrice; 09-13-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

I dropped by the house this morning and got a larger headache.

I had several windows completely left wide open. It already rained overnight and plenty this morning, so I'm sure were some water inside on the drywalls.

Well, I sent out my 'concern' letter to the builder and got a call from the site supervisor.

He mentioned that the drywaller's made the mistake of leaving the windows open and it won't happen again. I asked if there's any significant damage from rain going through the windows and he said it was fine (?).

As for mold, they aren't going to take down the drywall, but instead peek outside on the sheathing to detect moisture/mold and if so, spray it with some anti-mold agent??

I'm thinking, just tear down the sheathing and replace the insulation.

88CRX, I'll try seeking legal advise on this (as what your boss recommended sounds good!).

I'll also try to get a hold of New Home Warranty and see what they say.

Thanks for everyone's advise.

I knew building a home would have some problems and will never be perfect, but shady work and to take a risk like this? Like you've put it, they took the risk and lost, why should I.

BTW, builder is Excel Homes.

Depends on the builder.. i know in Evanston I wouldn't build a house with Trico, Jaguer Sterling, or broad view..... which only leaves Nuvista. Nuvista atleast seems to have an idea on what they are doing and are building a decent home in aprox 6 months..

Originally posted by Iqoair
    One of our friends ran into the same situation. They ended up with MOLD because of it.

I see them do it all the time in Evanston here. They frame it, then they insulate and drywall. A month later they put the siding on. Amazing the crap they get away with.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

I am having the same ordeal right now with Beattie Homes. The house is drywalled (not taped yet though) and there is NO siding or house wrap. They install the house wrap in sections with the siding, which is complete shit. The instant the house is framed and the roof is on, it should be fully wrapped to prevent these issues.

I visited the house yesterday, and things were fine (the ouside walls where not terribly wet. I hope this are still OK on my visit today....
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by frozenrice

It's not a matter of the builders being greedy (maybe some are, but not all of them neither)

The bigger problem is the trades. Builders usually project so many sales a month based on what they think is manageable with the trades that they have. .

That's bullshit. The builders sell what they want and then put preussure on the trades to preform. The builders already know what their contractors can handle yet they over sell anyway. They then try and tell you to make your employees work overtime but they aren't but at the same rates.

Our family owns a concrete business and we've now dropped some builders for this very reason. Their expectation are so out of wack. The good builders put a cap on what they sell and concentrate on building a quality house.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Eclipse

We are installing the instalation right now, and the house is only in framing right now aswell, my dad says there shouldn't be a problem...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by rotten42
    Our family owns a concrete business and we've now dropped some builders for this very reason. Their expectation are so out of wack. The good builders put a cap on what they sell and concentrate on building a quality house.
    Your family owns a conrete company so you know everything about home building huh? Concrete is a small part of the bigger picture. I've been working in home building for 15 years so I deal with every trade from start to finish. Like I said not all builders are greedy. Don't even think that all the builder's are pushing because they oversold either. Maybe some of them are, but you're generalizing the whole industry, which is not the case for all of them. They push to try to maintian schedules to minimize the build times everyone is complaining about. If the concrete is late it puts other trades off schedule too. Since most trades are paid piecework, they want to get the job done as fast as possible so they can move to the next job. Time is money for these guys, the more that they can squeeze in in an 8hour day, the more they get paid. If the concrete is late, then the cribber,finisher or whatever is paying his guy(s) by the hour to sit and wait. Well that trade doesn't get paid for the time waiting because he's paid piecework by the builder. As a conrcete company, assumming you were paid by the square foot or cubic metre, it's safe to say you'd want to get your guys to do a job in one hour as opposed to 20.

Simply put, if there's no work for the delayed trade, they go work for somebody else to fill in the spot and the builder ends up further delayed trying to get them to come back or finding a replacement who has the time. And people complain about the wait times and prices? I wonder why. I'm not directing this comment specifically at concrete either, it fair a statement for almost all trades these days.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by Foz

BTW, builder is Excel Homes.
    my experiences with excel have been great, they really made sure that we were completely satisfied with the houses. If u dont mind me asking what area is it in and who are u dealing with?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast