Quantcast
Good Deals on Tools... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Deals on Tools...

Default Good Deals on Tools...

Professional quality tools aren't cheap so use this thread to post up some good deals you come along.

Mechanix Gloves 50% at Canadian Tire this week (Nov. 9 - Nov. 16).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look through Honda/Acura factory service manuals they'll tell you to remove trim pieces with special service tool set SOJATP2014. They're nothing special, just a 4 pc pink plastic clip remover set so they don't damage or scratch stuff up, outrageously priced at $88 from Kent-Moore. Princess Auto has a 5pc set which are the same molds and appears to be the same quality of plastic for $19.

Ingersoll Rand 1/2" Titanium 1000ft/lb Impact Wrench
    Probably the best 1/2" gun on the market, 3.95lbs and 1000ft/lbs of torque! Snap-on has nothing to compare this to yet. Ingersoll Rand makes MAC air tools so the AW5500 is the same thing. At $200US shipped it's pretty good...I think the lowest I"ve seen it at was $319 at house of tools, MAC's AW5500 is $375.

Walmart actually has some good stuff:
    4pc hook and pick set from Stanley for $6.98 with nice comfortable grip. Stanley owns MAC so it's MAC quality without MAC price. MAC's 4pc hook and pick set with comfort grip is around $30.

Walmart also has IRWIN VISEGRIPS. 2pk, 6" & 10" with soft comfort grip for $30.
    Last edited by zhulander; 11-11-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks. The Brake caliper tool set would be useful.

I find Canadian Tire has amazing deals on tools too. Best thing about it is that Mastercraft is lifetime warranty.

The problem with no name visegrips is that after time, the adjusting bolt strips out, so it either won't clamp or it binds in the open jaw position..

So you eaither pay 10bux for the cheap ones many times, or 30 for a set that will last yrs..

Same goes for screwdrivers, buy the good ones, because we all know at some point we'll use them for prying even though we shouldn't be, cheap ones bend like rubber..

Good quality jack, socket set, a decent volt meter, a nice work bench and a good quality vice is a good start as well...
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 09-16-2006 at 08:20 AM.

My Ride
    78 civic

Default Re: Good Deals on Tools...

I have the quiet version of that impact.. It kicks ass!!

Originally posted by zhulander
    Professional quality tools aren't cheap so use this thread to post up some good deal you come along.

Ingersoll Rand 1/2" Titanium 1000ft/lb Impact Wrench
    Probably the best 1/2" gun on the market, 3.95lbs and 1000ft/lbs of torque! Snap-on has nothing to compare this to yet. Ingersoll Rand makes MAC air tools so the AW5500 is the same thing. At $200US shipped it's pretty good...I think the lowest I"ve seen it at was $319 at house of tools, MAC's AW5500 is $375.

Walmart actually has some good stuff:
    4pc hook and pick set from Stanley for $6.98 with nice comfortable grip. Stanley owns MAC so it's MAC quality without MAC price. MAC's 4pc hook and pick set with comfort grip is around $30.

Walmart also has IRWIN VISEGRIPS. 2pk, 6" & 10" with soft comfort grip for $30.

Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set & Axle Nut Sockets
    KMS tools is having a 2 day sale (Sept. 15/16) for the above stuff. $9 for the Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set. Makes rotating the pistons so much easier. Less than $2.35 each for 34mm, 32mm, or 30mm axle nut sockets.

Oh I forgot to add, electric impacts are pretty handy around a backyard shop. My cousin has one he picked up at princess, just a cheapy (and my father has a mastercraft one as well) they both work great for odds and ends, they are stronger then air though, so you have to be careful on the trigger...

Odd story: wear saftey glasses!, we were using my cousins in the driveway, and were setting it down, well I guess a little rock got into the cooling fins in the housing of the gun, he then went to use it and it spit that little stone out so hard and hit me right in the eye! It made my vision blurry (and eye itchy?) for 2 days after that..

I also had a buddy using a snake extension on a driver, he had that thing wrapped right around and he let go of it by accident and it snapped me right in the eye as well.. its scary stuff to get hit in the eyes like these events....mini-grinding included...

My Ride
    MB C63

princess auto is where i shop for tools
    just bought a torque wrench for 45 bucks 3/8 driver 10-150ft/lbs

Originally posted by djayz
    princess auto is where i shop for tools
    just bought a torque wrench for 45 bucks 3/8 driver 10-150ft/lbs
    Ya, I had that one... sold it for $15 a week later. What a POS that thing is.

My Ride
    GoGet Carshare

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Oh I forgot to add, electric impacts are stronger then air though, so you have to be careful on the trigger...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

they are stronger then air though, so you have to be careful on the trigger...
    Say what?

In that its one speed and its go, I mean... Not really stronger, but you know what I mean? I find they snap bolts easier any how....
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 09-17-2006 at 10:55 AM.

These Canadian Tire wire strippers are really easy to use. For $1.99, you can't lose.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    335i

Canadian tire also has a 40 piece mastercraft screwdriver set for 20 dollars (reg. 90 dollars, awesome set!)
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    These Canadian Tire wire strippers are really easy to use. For $1.99, you can't lose.

Is CT's metal?

I got an El Cheapo one here that is plastic and all it does is bend everytime to try and strip a wire, stupid junk.

^^^ Must be plastic.

I picked up a decent plastic one last year from Active Electronics and it's holding out very well. But it was $15.

My buddy has a metal one made by Westward; I haven't been able to find one yet.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

The canadian tire wire stripper is garbage, pay the 15-20 bucks and buy klein.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

If you build up a relationship with a snap on or mac dealer, you will get some great deals...
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

Anyone have the mastercraft maximum 1/2" torque wrench? Worth the 100$? Anything else around town in the price range/quality range I should consider instead?

seen here

Actually I just noticed its 50-250ft/lbs.. And the regular mastercraft is 30-250 in 1/2 and 25-250 in 3/8"..... Well then, I know theres a lot of times I need 20-30 ft/lbs

here
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 09-19-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Originally posted by ninspeed
    If you build up a relationship with a snap on or mac dealer, you will get some great deals...
    What kind of deals?

Anyone have the mastercraft maximum 1/2" torque wrench? Worth the 100$? Anything else around town in the price range/quality range I should consider instead?

seen here

Actually I just noticed its 50-250ft/lbs.. And the regular mastercraft is 30-250 in 1/2 and 25-250 in 3/8"..... Well then, I know theres a lot of times I need 20-30 ft/lbs

here
    I bought the 50-250 mastercraft maximum one for $65 on sale a while ago...really good for the price, you'll have to go to princess auto if you want something cheaper but I don't like princess auto locking mechanism, unscrew the bottom, adjust torque value, tighten screw. The mastercraft maximum is much better, pull down to unlock, turn to adjust torque value and release back up to lock

princess had a ten peice set of nicholson files on sale for 60$ about a week ago

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast