Quantcast
Flour Daniels or Colt Engineering - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flour Daniels or Colt Engineering

My Ride
    SKYLINE GTR ,AE86, memories of a turbo 2000 lude

Default Fluor Daniels, Colt Engineering Drafters

Anyone on here that is a Drafter at Flour Daniels or Colt Engineering???? I need some info PLEASE!!!
    Last edited by choweyt3t4; 09-19-2006 at 07:14 PM.

I've done work for Colt, whats the question?

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

small companys ftw

whats the question?

My Ride
    cars

i haven't worked for either but I know people that have worked for both and quite a few people at Fluor right now.. Basically the benefits, pay and opportunity for advancement is much higher at Fluor. Also depends on location, if you're working at the main Fluor office its down by Shawnessy and a lot of people that live down there work there for the convience of it.

Nice thing about Fluor is they do a lot more than just oil & gas and a lot of their projects are in the US so working down there would be kinda cool too.

My Ride

I am currently in my first year of Engineering Drafting Design Technology at SAIT right now. I'm just wondering how I would go about trying to get a summer job drafting with either of these companies beside the usual emailing cover letter and resume????

My Ride
    VE & S13

86max is a drafter at Colt Engineering.

Originally posted by modded46
    Nice thing about Fluor is they do a lot more than just oil & gas and a lot of their projects are in the US so working down there would be kinda cool too.
    Yeah they are world wide, not just north american.

--forced

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

smaller companies generally give more slack to move up and also pay a little more than big companies IMO. i know a few people at both companies, i guess training wise, flour is a good campany, but i imagine colt would pay more.

I worked for Concise Design, they pay good and are currently hiring. It's a very good company to work for because it was small
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Is it just Fluor and Colt your interested in?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

those are the main companies that I want to work for when I graduate as well as MidWest Surveys. I really like Flour Daniels because of the fact that they are a world wide company and that if I ever wanted to move to a different city there is a lot of options. Any other Drafters out there who can give me a bit of info on the place they work at and if it's possible to get a summer job with them after my first year???

Thanks guys

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Colt has shitty benefits.

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Make sure that on your cover letter you write, "Fluor Daniel."

My Ride

Originally posted by no_joke
    Make sure that on your cover letter you write, "Fluor Daniel."
    Opps , thanks for the spelling correction

My Ride
    rubbish

Originally posted by t-im
    Colt has shitty benefits.
    They're definitely making an effort to change that. For one they've just started a group rsp program where they'll match your monthly contribution up to a certain percentage of your income, I thought that was a plus.

I work in the engineering consulting industry, and have heard that both Fluor and Colt are decent companies to work for. Someone mentioned that smaller companies are better to work for, which is true in my opinion. If you work hard and learn quickly a smaller firm is more likely to move you up quickly, whereas larger firms tend to rely much more on formulas that include years of experience, etc. for promotions.

At any rate, steer clear of Stantec. I haven't ever heard a single positive thing about that place from people that have worked there, and I know quite a few people that have been through the Stantec mill.

Hey cynik,

Do you have any career advice for a soon to be new grad? I've talked to a few people regarding career choices after graduation; I'm hearing different things from different people. My dad tells me to get as much field experience as I can when I'm young, so that when I'm older and working in an office I'll have a good understanding of how things are done there. I’ve also heard that moving around companies every few years at first is good to do because you’ll get put into many different situations. Any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by suranga
    Hey cynik,

Do you have any career advice for a soon to be new grad? I've talked to a few people regarding career choices after graduation; I'm hearing different things from different people. My dad tells me to get as much field experience as I can when I'm young, so that when I'm older and working in an office I'll have a good understanding of how things are done there. I’ve also heard that moving around companies every few years at first is good to do because you’ll get put into many different situations. Any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    With bigger companies you usually get stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over.

Smaller companies will allow you to cover all aspects of your discipline.

I am an Electrical Tech/Designer with a smaller (Under 100 People) Engineering firm here in Calgary.

In my five yeare I have done everything from low to medium voltage design, programmed almost every major type or PLC/RTU in the market today, and comissioned (Start-up) All types of equipment from Single Well sites to 20,000 Hp Turbine Compressor Stations.

Currently I am senior designer and pretty much can set my own hours and schedule as long as the work is done on time and is quality work.

Just my .02

My Ride
    rubbish

Originally posted by suranga
    My dad tells me to get as much field experience as I can when I'm young, so that when I'm older and working in an office I'll have a good understanding of how things are done there. I’ve also heard that moving around companies every few years at first is good to do because you’ll get put into many different situations. Any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    That's true about the field experience, try and get out as much as possible, after all, they say 1 week in the field gives you about as much experience as a year in the office. Moving around is ok but if you do it too much it looks bad on your resume, some people in hiring postions don't want to hire someone who's going to bail in 6 months. You'd be surprised how fast your name can travel around in this industry, and if you get labeled as a ship jumper, the chance of finding a steady long term postion decreases.

As for the large/small company discussion, I'd have to agree with pretty much everything that's been said. In larger companies you do see a lot of people in ruts, but it certainly is possible to avoid it if you work hard and impress the right people. You may get more varied experience in smaller companies doing every aspect of a riser tie in, but you're not likely to see anything on a larger scale such as a complete gas plant. I often see people get hired here from smaller companies and even though they've had 5 years experience, they're not considered as experieced as someone with 5 years experience at the larger company. It's funny how some lose their senior title and go back to intermediate, but still see a pay increase lol.

plus i have heard that some large companies give you plenty of opportunity to move around. In exxon for example it sounds like you will be doing a completely new job yearly.

If you get a job at Flower, try to design things that don't suck. The oilpatch will thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast