Quantcast
shipping via UPS ground from tirerack.com - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shipping via UPS ground from tirerack.com

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Default shipping via UPS ground from tirerack.com

quick question for those who orderd from tirerack.com or similar site

Its a US online tirestore and Im looking to order some winter tire from it. according to their online shipping quote they use UPS ground. Anyone have any experience w/ this? will UPS end up charging a bunch of custom/duty fee at the door? Im only looking at buying ONE tire, so it will only be ~ $250 CAD... dont want it to show upa t the door w/ another $150 brokage fee on top
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 09-20-2006 at 07:50 AM.

My Ride
    Sentra

They will no doubt rape you with border charges.

Tell them (if you can) to ship them via USPS and label them as "sample parts" and you will pay nothing. If that doesn't work, ask them to ship it via USPS anyways, and you will play a flat duty fee much smaller than that of UPS and FED EX. If that doesn't work, you will be paying quite a bit once they come to your door I'd imagine. There are some pretty good canadian compainies just like tire rack, there is one in particular but I forget the name right now.

With rims, they ship them in 4 seperate boxes as 4 seperate packages, I'm not sure if they do this with tires or not. You should call UPS, tell them what your buying and from where, and see if they can tell you.

Good luck.

My Ride
    MDX

Why would you order from tirerack when there are local companies with the same products. Hell, even Canadian online sites are better. Mytires, 1010tires.com, tiretrends.com

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

There's an OK Tire in Greatwest Kenworth (across from the Blackfoot Inn). They have really good prices and I have been very happy with them.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by jdmakkord
    Why would you order from tirerack when there are local companies with the same products. Hell, even Canadian online sites are better. Mytires, 1010tires.com, tiretrends.com
    1010 tires are pretty cheap and the wait is only 2-3 days. You also get free shipping I believe because of the winter tire special.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

A quick question.

Aside from shipping costs, brokerage fees to clear it into Canada, GST, how does duty fees apply to car parts?

I know there is a 6.1% charge for importing cars, not sure if that applies to car parts as well.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    W204

Thanks to NAFTA, duties only applies to items made outside North America (so you only get charged duty on cars that are made in Japan/Germany/etc... - a Camry that is made in the USA does not get charged duty).

Whenever you small value import goods from the USA (i.e. not a car), the assumption is usually made that the item is made in the USA, so you'll likely only get charged GST.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by clem24
    Thanks to NAFTA, duties only applies to items made outside North America (so you only get charged duty on cars that are made in Japan/Germany/etc... - a Camry that is made in the USA does not get charged duty).

Whenever you small value import goods from the USA (i.e. not a car), the assumption is usually made that the item is made in the USA, so you'll likely only get charged GST.
    That didnt happen to me. Both times i've ordered stuff through the states and both times i've shipped UPS. First thing was my Mugen Suspension (new from kings motorsports) and I got charged 6.1% duty for that. The 2nd item was a set of wheels and tires from tirerack. The wheels were made in Japan and the Tires made in Korea. I got charged duty for those as well.

Tirerack does NOT ship USPS. They only ship UPS and Fedex. UPS for the bigger things, Fedex for the smaller things (ie. lugnuts and centre caps). However, even with the insane brokerage charges that I paid, the stuff I got from tirerack was STILL cheaper than anyother place i've checked in Canada. This includes places like 1010tires.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

just go with a canadian tire company like 1010 or tiretrends... u'll save more money that way.

My Ride
    Model S

try CMS Bob first, hes local and very helpful and seems to be good at beating others prices. maybe he can offer you better and you can just pick it up in town. mytires kinda...forgets things...

My Ride

I really prefer to order from canada vs US so I dont have to worry about stuff like custom/duty and the long waiting time. But the price diff is so huge! for example.. the winter tire Im looking at right now cost $174 USD/tire w/ tirerack.com ( $200CAD). Same tire cost $294 CAD at tiretrend.com ( which i imagine is pretty cheap already)..

thats a whooping 50% difference!!

My Ride
    Acura Integra

I ordered through tirerack, a set of 4 Yokos and a spare Michelin Arctic Alpin tire. I paid ~80 for shipping and another 130~ border charges, and still came out to less for what anywhere locally would charge me.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    I really prefer to order from canada vs US so I dont have to worry about stuff like custom/duty and the long waiting time. But the price diff is so huge! for example.. the winter tire Im looking at right now cost $174 USD/tire w/ tirerack.com ( $200CAD). Same tire cost $294 CAD at tiretrend.com ( which i imagine is pretty cheap already)..

thats a whooping 50% difference!!
    I looked into that as well. If you buy locally, pay the extra, you get the warranty. Buy from the US, no such thing. With savings of anywhere from $200-300 on a set of tires, I think it's worth taking the risk of having the tire go. haha
    I am user #49

My Ride

does the warranty cover road hazard? cuz I ran over some nail near the sidewall like 2 weeks after I bought my car and they sure as hell werent covered

My Ride
    NC1

Really? I always thought you get a pro-rated credit to use towards the replacement tire?
    I am user #49

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

some of the prices on tirerack is hard to beat. I paid 400 CADshipped to montana for a set of 225/45/17 General UHP, that is cheap compares to anywhere else (130/each on 1010tires.com) . I had to pick up my rims from the same place anyway so that means driving there to get them was not an issue.

I also didnt pay any duty/tax on them, I showed my invoice for the rims and told customs that they also come with tires, so all in all I only paid 400 for tires, cost + tax + duty on the rims and thats it. Which was an awesome deal.

My Ride

great idea on shipping to montana!! there aer quite a few items I want to buy from the states as well, i can just amke one trip down and pick them all up!!

which company do u use to hold your item @ montana?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...highlight=EBAY

awesome guy, great service, charged me 10US to hold a set of rims and tires + another set of tires for me for a month.

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    Shoot an email to [email protected] and I'll see how close I can get to the US price

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast