Quantcast
Dynojet/Mustang Dyno differences? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dynojet/Mustang Dyno differences?

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Default Dynojet/Mustang Dyno differences?

Alright, I ran a few searches for dyno info and I can't find anything relivent.. I also checked wikipedia for info and found pretty much jack all, though my search words might suck.

I've been wondering for a while now, and I should know this .. but I don't so here it goes.

Everytime I hear people talk about their dynotuned cars, they always specify the type of dynameter they used.

What are the differences, if any, between a mustang dyno and a dynojet? I've heard both types named.. and many others.. Are there differences in the outcome of the type of power they readout ?

And why do they call it a mustang dyno? Is it actually /after/ the Mustang .. or .. ?
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Mustang dyno can simulate load. They are suppose to be better for tuning. In calgary the 2 mustang dynos I have dynoed on are about 13% lower in readouts than the local dynojets. This has been tested AFAIK.

It might be different elsewhere but generally mustang dynos read lower than dynojets.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

What does AFAIK mean?

And is the readout lower because of the load the car is on ?

AAnd.. I've seen dyno's that bolt to the hub after you take the wheel off.. what's that about?
    toexistphoto.com

AFAIK = as far as I know.

The hub-type dynos are called dynapaks - I don't know how those compare to Mustangs or Dynojets as far as peak numbers go.

LOL, nice sig

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    AFAIK = as far as I know.

The hub-type dynos are called dynapaks - I don't know how those compare to Mustangs or Dynojets as far as peak numbers go.

LOL, nice sig
    depends how they are calibrated, but they usually read about the same as dynojet if not a bit higher.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

I was always taught that mustang dyno's yielded higher numbers than dynojets, that was when I was living in florida though.

Mustang Dynos are lower than DYNOJETS. Example. At 8psi my Dynojet dyno was 280 whp, but at 9psi my Mustang dyno was 240 whp.

The Mustang dyno operated said hhis Mustang dyno yielded "on average" 25% lower numbers than that of hius customer's Dynojets runs.

That's just my experience, and I am by no means saying that the difference is proven or factual. Just my own experience.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

So which yields more accurate results in terms of what you would ACTUALLY be putting down on the street? Mustang? If the car has no load then it isn't really hard to put the power down .. it's when theres resistence.. but..

4:45 am thinking isn't really easy.

K so I'm thinking a mustang dyno is the more accurate of the types because of the simulated load.. right ?
    toexistphoto.com

That's what most people will tell you. But people like the DYNOJETS because they give you that higher hp number.

I've had experiences on both. Personally, I found that the mustang had a lot of set-up and little adjustments in the set-up before the run were important in making an accurate pull. You can tune your car with either one though.

A lot of cars lean out when they get onto the street after getting off the dynojet because it doesn't simulate load. I would make sure to street tune after using a dynojet.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here are the formulas I used based on about 10 or so manual transmission cars that had a chance to run on both dynos on same days, as well as stock vehicles to gauge flywheel power.

flywheel hp = mustang hp * 1.31
    dynojet hp = mustang hp * 1.13

They're fairly accurate, maybe 1 or 2% off, but it'll give you a general idea of how much hp your vehicle is making.

Too lazy to derive all the formulas, someone who knows basic algebra can come up with all the variations .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A Hobo

firstly, never use a dyno to accurately determine what kind of power you're making . use it to determine how much more power you are making from your "modification" . or, use it to safely tune the vehicle before hitting the road .

the cheapest dyno you find is the 1/4 mile at race city on friday nights called Secret Street and it's $25 ..... Don't use your time, use the trap speed. Then hit a weigh scale on the side of a highway and use any of the online trap speed calculators on the intermenet and there is your actual wheel HP .