Quantcast
Megasquirt - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Megasquirt

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

Default Megasquirt

I'm looking for an alternative to my power fc since finding an adequate tuner is proving rather difficult. So what do you guys think of the megasquirt 2?

And you thought I was crazy for looking into that system tibi Lightspeed fall through?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ght=Megasquirt

That's Jon K's buildup of an E34 on megasquirt. He used it on his supercharger setup first until it decided to munch on a vacuum hose then is now using it on his turbo setup.

First guy to do Megasquirt on an M70 and documented just about all of it. Great system for the money if you ask me.

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

I dunno, i was supposed to meet up with the guy tomorrow but emailed and called him to confirm and haven't heard back. And theres the fact that I need a new map sensor which alone would cost more than the megasquirt with built in map sensor.

I'm just to poor to be doing this any longer.

Go Megasquirt, seen lots of success with it int he BMW world. I'm sure you and your bro could figure it out for the 2.

Not to mention hella fun building that thing and learning what everything does since its all built by hand.

More Knowledge = More power

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Check on www.msefi.com/forums to make sure your engine is compatible with MSII (some engines, depending on crank trigger, are not ie neon ecc (2.0 dohc), a588 (2.0 sohc), maybe mitsu 420a (2.0 dohc)). You should be able to find somebody that has installed it on your engine although maybe not the jdm version (if it is any different wiring-wise).

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

Yeah I checked out that site, and to use it on my car i can either grind down 2 teeth off one of the distributer wheels or convert to an ford edis ignition system.

But after further reading looks like MS1 might be the better choice for my engine.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I knew that powerfc would require a map, just too good to be true to work on a stock gen 2 setup...sucks dude. Megasquirt is a great system as long as you have the time to put it together.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

yeah my bro is takin electronics engineering in school so hes going to assemble and rewire my car for me. Hopefully the works out.

My Ride
    something green

if you cant tune a power fc. How are you going to tune the megasquirt....I will check my apexi software to see if my cable will work on other pfc systems besides rx7...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

simple, the megasquirt use a laptop and it pretty direct and many local tuners are willing to do it. The the power fc I could not find a local tuner and lightspeed is currently moving their shop so they wouldn't be able to do it just yet.

My Ride
    BMW E30+7MGTE,E30 325is,Jeep Wrangler

Do yourself a favour and buy the asembled kit.Not that it's that hard but it's a tedious job.If I were to do it again I'd go the assembled route.
    As for the crank trigger,chances are you'll need to use the Ford EDIS wheel and sensor.I'm not familliar with the 3SGTE but if it's the same as my 7mgte,megasquirt will not recognize the cam sensor's signal.

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

Do you know if it would work if I got MS1 v3.0 and the MSnS_E daughter board. According to Error* the daughter board allows for 2 more vr sensors to be hooked up, so all together all 3 vr sensors should be hooked up. Hopefully allowing my stock ignition to work.

I'm just gettin my brother and some of his classmates to from sait to assemble this during one of there electronics labs.

My Ride
    BMW E30+7MGTE,E30 325is,Jeep Wrangler

I'm still a MS noob but I believe the problem with the Toyota cam sensor is the encoding,it simply won't recognize the tooth count.There was a thread on the MS forums a while back I read.Do a search,you should be able to find it.