Quantcast
Creatine - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Creatine

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Default Creatine

Anyone here take Creatine?.....any good?...Pros, cons any advice would will really appreciate it. ie best times to take.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Model S

there are a lot of creatine threads, might want to search some older stuff

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Thanks, but couldnt really find the answers I was looking for. Just looking for advice really, doest it work, any bad side effects?....gains?...or is it just better to work even harder "eau naturel"

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Works well IMO but there's no magic powder, eating right and training hard are far more important than supplementing. Real issue most find with creatine is that once you go off, the gains in strenth and size drop but this can be largely countered by (you guessed it) proper diet and training. IMO, given that you seem relatively inexperienced (that by no means is meant to be an insult) I suggest getting on a great diet and training program before you look into throwing you money at supps.
    Autosignature

Here's an uneducated explaination, that I expect to get slammed for posting, but thats ok:

creatine carries and stores itself in your muscles as creatine-phosphate.....

creatine enhances the crebbs cycle: ie When you work a muscle, you burn Triblahblahphosphates( I don't care to remember the official word), after the muscle has worked, your body is left with biblahblahphosphate.

Anyway, Instead of waiting for normal metabolism to rebuild the biblahblagphosphate. The creatine phosphate in your muscle is used to quicky convert the biblahblahphosphate back into another triblahblahphosphate. This is very handy for weight trainers, hockey players, etc.

Also, in addition to storing itself in your muscles, creatine stores itself along with water. You'll hear lots of people bitch about the water gain, but IMO, if you aren't prepping yourself for a photoshoot, don't worry about the water gain. In fact, I've heard that additional water in the muscle improves your ability to perform in sports, and or improves your ability to weight train at a higher intensity.

Risks? I haven't heard any, perhaps its has all the standard warnings like dont use it if you are a pregnate women, kidney problems, high blood pressure.

Tips: drinking it with a citric based fluid is supposed to help with the generic white powder variety, Many of the designer creatines claim this is not neccessary.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Watcher
    Here's an uneducated explaination, that I expect to get slammed for posting, but thats ok:

creatine carries and stores itself in your muscles as creatine-phosphate.....

creatine enhances the crebbs cycle: ie When you work a muscle, you burn Triblahblahphosphates( I don't care to remember the official word), after the muscle has worked, your body is left with biblahblahphosphate.

Anyway, Instead of waiting for normal metabolism to rebuild the biblahblagphosphate. The creatine phosphate in your muscle is used to quicky convert the biblahblahphosphate back into another triblahblahphosphate. This is very handy for weight trainers, hockey players, etc.

Also, in addition to storing itself in your muscles, creatine stores itself along with water. You'll hear lots of people bitch about the water gain, but IMO, if you aren't prepping yourself for a photoshoot, don't worry about the water gain. In fact, I've heard that additional water in the muscle improves your ability to perform in sports, and or improves your ability to weight train at a higher intensity.

Risks? I haven't heard any, perhaps its has all the standard warnings like dont use it if you are a pregnate women, kidney problems, high blood pressure.

Tips: drinking it with a citric based fluid is supposed to help with the generic white powder variety, Many of the designer creatines claim this is not neccessary.
    You are making this guy roll in his grave:

I mean nevermind the fact that you're butchering his theories, but at least spell his name properly; it's Hans Krebs.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Every year I would take creatine during the growth phase of my off season training. I would gain a few pounds right away, my weights would go up marginally and my running slowed down a bit. I would take it for about a month gaining weight the whole time. As soon as I went off it I'd lose about 3-4 pounds and my weights would go through the roof. My running also got a LOT better the next two to three weeks after stopping. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the program I was on, but that was my experience with it (I was on a speed and power program). Most of the athletes I trained with had better increases when they were on it - their weights went up and speed got better while on it.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by pinoyhero
    Works well IMO but there's no magic powder, eating right and training hard are far more important than supplementing. Real issue most find with creatine is that once you go off, the gains in strenth and size drop but this can be largely countered by (you guessed it) proper diet and training. IMO, given that you seem relatively inexperienced (that by no means is meant to be an insult) I suggest getting on a great diet and training program before you look into throwing you money at supps.
    Well this is my problem Im 33 years old, 6ft 3 and weigh 225lbs. Whenever I hit the weights hard I obviusly firm up, but loose a lot of my mass.....and thats what I want to counteract. I have tried the protein etc, increased food intake, but still "skinny out". I was told that creatine would increase lifting ability and muscle size. Does it?.

My Ride
    Lamborgotti Fasterossa XT 550

When you train you most likely burn of alot of fat and put on some muscle hence you lose some mass. Creatine would be a good choice to go with. Creatine won't put any size on you though. Creatine will make you stronger, and from lifting heavier, the side effect is you will put on some muscle. Still gotta eat lots of protein though. Even if you were stronger but didn't have the correct calories to feul more muslce, you probaly won't grow very much. Another thing to try is Glutamine. Teaspoon after you werkout and before bed. Slows muscle breakdown and helps recovery time.

My Ride
    Talon Tsi

Ive been using it 80% faithfully the past month, and combined with trying to bulk through eating I put on 14 lbs, I found I could push harder too.
    Last edited by v8killah; 09-25-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Well this is my problem Im 33 years old, 6ft 3 and weigh 225lbs. Whenever I hit the weights hard I obviusly firm up, but loose a lot of my mass.....and thats what I want to counteract. I have tried the protein etc, increased food intake, but still "skinny out". I was told that creatine would increase lifting ability and muscle size. Does it?.
    Are you are already getting tons of protien and healthy food, and finding that its too much food to eat? try adding tablespoons of flax oil or olive oil to your diet. Thats one way to increase your calories.

Once your body is getting enough calories, then you will end up with surplus protien for building muscle( if you work out properly)

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by Watcher

Are you are already getting tons of protien and healthy food, and finding that its too much food to eat? try adding tablespoons of flax oil or olive oil to your diet. Thats one way to increase your calories.

Once your body is getting enough calories, then you will end up with surplus protien for building muscle( if you work out properly)
    Ahhhh thanks. I eat very healthy and then have a "cheat day" once a week. Ill give that a shot though. Thanks again

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

^^ make sure your eating 1.5G protein per 1lb of body weight for protein. Sounds to me when your training you are under eating and actually losing muscle and fat. Try eating around 4000cals a day and 350G protein. see what happens. Saying goes.. To get big eat big.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Iwas told the following:-

To cut its bodyweight x 12 = Calories to be consumed

To gain:- Body weight x 15 = Calories to be consumed.

ie so if someone weighs 200lbs, they need 2400calories to cut and 3000 to gain. Is this correct?

Iwas told the following:-

To cut its bodyweight x 12 = Calories to be consumed

To gain:- Body weight x 15 = Calories to be consumed.

ie so if someone weighs 200lbs, they need 2400calories to cut and 3000 to gain. Is this correct?
    Sounds reasonable for a 'general rule of thumb" but thats no garantee that is true for you.

Couldn't you start adding 300 calories to your diet, then wait a week to see if you are gaining........if you aren't, then add another 300? It wont take long to find the magic number that works for you.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

^Agreed, trying to add 1000 cals to your diet everyday as of day one will be tough and reap havoc on your metbolism, build up slow just like anything else.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

You ever thought that the "mass" you are losing is just excess fat?

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Good point if your firming up but don't like the weight loss then make sure you're consuming enough quality food to help keep your weight up while firming.
    Autosignature

Originally posted by A790

You ever thought that the "mass" you are losing is just excess fat?
    If he's losing excess fat, then his muscle gains are minimal.

Said in a different way, you have to remember that protien is still a food and a source of energy.....if he isn't eating enough energy to maintain his current weight then he isn't eating enough protien to build lots of muscle, too.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

I have been taking whey proten and eat approx 2 - chicken breasts aday, and really minimize my carbs. I have started the Creatine and had outta this world results with strength - very impressed. I just dont want to skinny out. I have increased my calorie intake to approx 3000 cal per day, so ill see how it goes. Thanks for all your advice though