Quantcast
Passing Emergency Vehicles Tickets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Passing Emergency Vehicles Tickets

Default Passing Emergency Vehicles Tickets

Public Service Announcement to all the tards who slow down to 50 on deerfoot in the fast lane, think they are following the new law, READ;

passing vehicles need only slow down in the lane immediately beside the stopped emergency vehicle.

That is all.

reading the other thread made me want to say this

reference;

New law makes Alberta roads safer
    October 31, 2005

A new law requiring drivers to slow down when passing emergency vehicles and tow trucks comes into effect October 31.

The new law, which doubles the fines for speeders, will make roads safer for police officers, firefighters, ambulance workers, tow truck operators and construction workers, as well as motorists.

Motorists must slow down to 60 kilometres per hour, or less if the posted speed limit is lower, when passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped with their lights flashing. Fines will be doubled for speeding in this situation.

If there are two or more traffic lanes in the same direction as the emergency vehicle or tow truck, passing vehicles need only slow down in the lane immediately beside the stopped emergency vehicle. Vehicles traveling in other lanes, including oncoming lanes, may maintain their speed but should proceed with caution.

In construction zones, motorists must observe the posted speed limit at all times. Fines for speeding through construction sites where workers are present will be doubled, even if the workers are behind equipment or not immediately visible.

Other changes were made to the Traffic Safety Amendment Act, 2005, including allowing police to seize a vehicle, for 24 hours, that is used for racing or driving on a bet, where public safety is at risk.

The radio ads make it sound like you need to do it in all lanes. I was confused by this at first.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

^^ Agreed that initially radio/tv made it confusing, but I have heard numerous tv programs, and read numerous things to clarify the law since then.

I agree, its really annoying when people don't get the law, especially on roads like deerfoot.

If I remember correctly the spots saying the 'adjacent' lane which is pretty clear.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by DayGlow
    If I remember correctly the spots saying the 'adjacent' lane which is pretty clear.
    They did, but the dumb chick in the FAN started correcting Mike Richards saying "No, if its divided all lanes of traffic on that side of the road need to slow down, and if its not divided then both directions of traffic have to slow down"

Women and driving... ugh.
    Last edited by bspot; 09-28-2006 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep WJ

you might want to slow a little or some idiot going 50 will jump out in front of you

I refuse to drive more than 20 km/h faster than the adjacent lane.

If I'm doing 110 and the adjacent lane is doing 50-60, and a motorist cuts in front of me and I rear end him, Good luck at proving that the other motorist is in the wrong

My Ride
    a cowgirl

am thinking the same

ricers can wait