Quantcast
holy fuk enuff with the SARS - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: holy fuk enuff with the SARS

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by szw
    What's the 4% chance of dying number coming from?

Is that once you've contracted the disease?

From being in contact with people who have it?

Is that if you live anywhere in the world, or if you live in Toronto or beijing?
    4% of the disease carriers die from it. Statistically, if you are especially young, especially old, or if you're asian, you stand a better chance of being a victim from it. SARS is SARS, doesn't matter where you are, just depends on how healthy you are

Melinda

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

With the flu you can get a vaccine....or take some Buckley's flu pills and feel better eventually.

Sar's has no cure as of yet and it's an airborne disease that can have devasting effects if not found right away.

I think Sars is a big deal....definetly bigger than the flu

My Ride
    04 maxima, 03 ML320

i dont understand you, more people die from the flu yet there still is shit u cant take, sars what u stay home, if your healthy your fine.......honesly u have more of a chance drowning in your bathtub!!

Is it over-hyped? yeah

But I don't see why it annoys you that people are worried about it. For some people its a real threat.

Go tell the family members of people who have died to chill out.

Its like, if some guy was going around, shooting people at random in Calgary for a month.

He doesn't kill as many people as the flu. are you gonna worry?

My Ride
    04 maxima, 03 ML320

no man i do feel sorry for the people who have parished cause of this, but hearing it on the news 100 times a day is a lil exessive!

lammer Guest

Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Hahaha, nice smiley.
    I was reading on Canada.com and they said that the worst of Sars is over. As reports and incedences have stabilized. Even Vietnam has been taken off the high risk locations.
    its cause the vietnamese people are smart.

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II

hearing it on the news 100 times a day is a lil exessive!
    Kind of like how you keep saying there's a better chance of drowning in our bathtub's, or how you keep mentioning the flu.
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II TiSi/Blk
    Eisenmann 83mm Exhaust|Dinan Front Strut Bar|GC Coilovers|K&N Filters|Silvervision Signal Bulbs|Hamann Blackout Grill|Hamann Eyebrows|Hamann OE Brake Duct Covers|BMW Pedals|Alpine CVA-1005|Pioneer XM|iPod|PS2|MB Quartz Compnts.|Alpine Amps(2)|JL Audio 12" Subs(2)|Alpine PowerNav|Alpine 6 Disc Changer|Eibach Swaybars|18" SSR GT3's|Brembo Brake Kit 14"/12.9"|

My Ride
    04 maxima, 03 ML320

yeah man gets annoying hey!!

Originally posted by Glowrider

Kind of like how you keep saying there's a better chance of drowning in our bathtub's, or how you keep mentioning the flu.

I think it is important for the news to report cases of SARS daily. I agree they made a big hype about it...now they have to report it to ease public uncertainty. The media is educating ppl this way and IMO it prevented a lot of people's possible exposure to the disease. Epidemics have always been a worry in human history, its good to keep these things under tabs and the population informed about cases and progress.

vsmSIR: its true lots of ppl die in their bathtubs...I've even heard of ppl dying from being crushed by vending machines...unfortunately there is no cure for a lack of common sense.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Glowrider

Or his incessant spelling mistakes!
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

its better to be informed than not imformed, sure is over information but hey, they need to make money and its better to know

Originally posted by RSeXy

I've even heard of ppl dying from being crushed by vending machines...unfortunately there is no cure for a lack of common sense.
    Its just so tempting...its like free stuff just sitting there!

My Ride
    99 Civic

K I agree with Vsm, this is getting REALLY annoying.... really.
    Sars? gimmie a break man, if you want to live your life in fear then dont go out....
    There are many many diseases that have no cures... the only reason why SARS is big concern right now is because of the outbreak.
    SARS is not a big threat, VSM has already told the basics, its true that you haev only a 4% chance of dying, and most of the people who get it are the old folks.

Soon the SARS will become as serious as the common cold, not too serious at all. It will take at least 1year for the cure of SARS though (Heard on the news).

My Ride
    2Look slk

I agree with vsmSIR. It is totally blown out of proportion. There is a difference between informing people and causing a crisis out of it.

I personally have tons of family in Hong Kong. My dad lives there and I have spoken with ALL of them. Everyone there tells me that it isn't that bad and that the media has made a huge deal out of it.

My Ride
    2Look slk

Originally posted by Melinda

Statistically, if you are especially young, especially old, or if you're asian, you stand a better chance of being a victim from it.

Melinda
    That is such an ignorant comment. Being Asian does not increase your risk to SARS. A disease is not racial. It does not distinguish between asians or any other race. The chances of getting SARS are equal to all racial groups. Haven't you been listening to the repeated messages of Health Canada on the news?? They keep stressing that the disease is not racial and not to assume that contact with an asian person increases the risk I don't know what statistics you are talking about.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

gotta divert attention to something else now that the war is dying way earlier than budgeted
    Travel

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by girlRACER

That is such an ignorant comment. Being Asian does not increase your risk to SARS. A disease is not racial. It does not distinguish between asians or any other race. The chances of getting SARS are equal to all racial groups. Haven't you been listening to the repeated messages of Health Canada on the news?? They keep stressing that the disease is not racial and not to assume that contact with an asian person increases the risk I don't know what statistics you are talking about.
    Im pretty sure she didnt mean for it to sound racist at all, she probably just meant because that is where Sars originated, correct?.....Its True, its gettin blown out of proportion, but precautions have to be made and alot of people get paranoid when the hear of things like this. When i came back to work after having Pneumonia, i cant even count the number of times people Said "are you sure it wasnt Sars, your not contageous
    are you?!?", like hmmmm actually no, im not sure, maybe you have it now!....gimme a break.... and like others have Said, with the War basically over this is the Next "best thing" for the Media to Focus on. Quite Sad.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    Highlander

James is right, that wasn't meant to be ignorant at all. Those stats were actually something we looked at in a journalism class of mine that were published in a medical Journal from Hong Kong. Because the disease was targeted there, something in the different DNA is effected differently then it is for other races. I dunno, I can't really remember the exact details but I assure you, nothing bad was meant behind it.

Mel

My Ride
    2Look slk

Statistics concentrate on the results. They don't show correlation nor do they find cause. If the majority of people affected by SARS are Asian, it does not assume that they are more or less susceptible to the disease. They only provide a sort of demographics.

To look at statistics and then assume correlation or cause is wrong because there could be other factors. The media often makes that mistake. There is a difference between statistical analysis and evidence for cause. They are two very different things. I don't blame you, I just don't think your teacher knows what he is talking about then.
    Last edited by girlRACER; 04-29-2003 at 10:24 AM.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by girlRACER
    I just don't think your teacher knows what he is talking about then.
    As I said, we read this in a medical journal from Hong Kong. It is in a media Ethics class that we were doing this, taking note about how this information is public just like anything else and we were to estimate how the media was going to take that information and use it. Obviously, it hasn't been taken too far which I think is a good thing but from what I remember, it effects asians in a different way and that's why more of them are dying from it. Its not how many are suffereing with it or how suseptible they are to getting it, it's just the way they're effected by it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast