Quantcast
Adding a bathroom... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Adding a bathroom...

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Default Adding a bathroom...

So, being that my moms boyfreind is moving in and we only have one bathroom, we're considering adding one.

Heres what the layout is. The basement has a bedroom that runs right over the sewage line. Basially, the sewage drain is right outside the room, and the sewage cleanout is in the closet of the room.

Are there any experienced people on beyond that might be able to tell me whats involved in converting this bedroom w/carpet into a bathroom? Full bath, sink, toilet, ect.

Basically im looking for average prices on this sort of a job... what has to be done... how long it might take... Ect.

Also, does anyone know of a company that does free appraisals?

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I gather you don't have a bathroom roughed-in in the basement? If you don't good chance you'll have to break the concrete up with a jackhammer to run drainage lines for the new bathroom. This is a fairly noisy and messy job. If I were in your shoes, I'd seriously consider getting a plumber to come in and do it all for you. How much of the basement is already devloped? You also have to consider where you can tap into water lines and and vent stacks for the drains. If your basement is already developed, you'll have to also cut up some of the basement ceiling to run the water lines. I'd say it'll cost you a few thousand ($2000 -3000 speifically - give or take) to get it done and depending on who you hire, it could take up to a month or two.
    Framing, lumber, electrical, plumbing, drywall, flooring, cabinetry, finish materials, painting, heating, permits are all things that have to be taken into consideration.
    Last edited by frozenrice; 09-30-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Yeah. It's fully developed, just a spare bedroom.

I knew about the concrete part... But Its good the sewage line is right underneath.

Anyone good you can reccomend to do an appraisal?
    Last edited by CarbonCopy; 09-30-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Its cheap and it works.

My Ride
    BlackN16's

I already have to go outside when the one bathroom that is 10x5 is being used.... LOL.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I know the situation, I'm sharing a heritage house on 18th ave sw, right now.

3 guys and a couple.

Atleast we have the option of going to the alley to piss, but shit, when it's 5am, the girl is getting ready for work, and you've been drinking all night....

no fuckin good.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

thank god I'm moving into sasso in 2 days, with my own ensuite
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    335i

The most involved part is jackhammering drain lines into the concrete but you should be able to find someone to do this for you. Water lines aren't that big a deal because you can now get flexible ones and run them however way you like. You'll need to frame it and drywall it if you haven't already. You can also hackhammer with the walls already put up but its a little tricky.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    The most involved part is jackhammering drain lines into the concrete but you should be able to find someone to do this for you. Water lines aren't that big a deal because you can now get flexible ones and run them however way you like. You'll need to frame it and drywall it if you haven't already. You can also hackhammer with the walls already put up but its a little tricky.
    Well, it has drywall but its not bathroom drywall meant for moist areas. It could rot, warp, ect. So the drywall is comin down, the carpet is comin out (thank god, tacky 1950 loop carpet) and luckily its within 5 feet of the water. I dont even think the ceiling will have to be messed with... I can look at the 1x1 hole with acess to the waterpipes and see the insulation in the other room.

My Ride
    335i

You don't really NEED moisture proof drywall unless its in the shower. Even then, get yourself a fibreglass enclosed unit and you won't need to replace any of the drywall at all.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Score! Thats some money saved...

Whats the best way to go about finding a company to do this... free appraisals, ect.

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

home.depot.

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Here are some pics, and a diagram to show... Maybe this could offer people some insight into what needs to be done.

This pic shows the main drain for sewage and the close proximity to the room

This pic is in the back corner of the room in the closet (see diagram). This is the clean out for the pipes.

This shows the room, and that tall "stack" is where all of the pipes run down. There are water pipes there for the washer, sewage, the hose to outside... ect.

This shows the hole in the ceiling where you get acess to water, and to turn the hose on and off for winter.

The diagram showing the layout..

Now, from this, im assuming the pipes run between the cleanout, and the main line. Would we be able to splice the new bathroom into that existing line?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by CarbonCopy
    Score! Thats some money saved...

Whats the best way to go about finding a company to do this... free appraisals, ect.

Every plumber has free appraisals... don't expect it to be cheap though.

I was looking into moving my basement bathroom, I got an appraisal from Pete the Plumber, would have cost $2800 to cap the toilet and shower drains (assuming I took them out myself), and to rough in the new drains, one would require 4 feet of new drainage, and the other 5 feet.

Most of that cost was the new rough in, as capping old drains only takes an hour, but still, that's $3000 after taxes, for a rough in only.

It'll probably be less for you, since your line runs right underneath the room though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Yeah. It shouldnt be a huge amount of piping, and I plan to do any work I can myself... Including fixtures, the floor, paint and finish, ect...

Tomorrow Im heading to home depot to make a price chart of every peice of supply I will need, then monday I'll get the local plumber to come by and take a look. The only real problem is that there isnt enough room on the one wall for bath, toilet and sink... So there will have to be some pipes laid across the room.

A heated floor would cost too much extra, this needs to be done right as cheap as possible. Definitly a thought for under my feet at my computer though....

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You can also save yourself some money by cutting into the floor yourself, doesn't take a jackhammer, just a circular saw with the right blade (and preexisting knowledge of where EXACTLY the pipes are)

You could have it set up, so all a plumber does is come in cut a hole in the drain, and weld a new drain into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    335i

You can do a LOT of the work yourself. The only thing that might need a pro is the piping.

Once you design your layout, have someone rough in the piping, and work around it. A fibreglass shower just needs to be secured to the wall and then siliconed. Or you can go the cheap route and build a shower out of wood and drywall and then tile over it. Any monkey can tile.

Rip out the carpet too - i can't stand it when people still have carpet in the bathroom

First thing to do is figure out where things should go, and have someone lay the pipe for the shower toilet and sink drains.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    BlackN16's

Yeah, I've done work with tile/drywall/fixtures when my dad did a huge reno.

Before I even figure out a layout... I need to find out what the cheapest way to lay pipes is... And then work from there.

I might try to convicnce my mom to put a small jaccuzi, but thats another story...

And yeah, carpet is coming out. It has to anyways for them to lay the pipes in... Tile goes down after.

My Ride
    BlackN16's

My mom's boyfreind keeps blabbing at me that they have to rip out 3 feet of concrete around the main drain to find where the pipes go.

I'm pretty sure this is a crock because, its obvious what direction they run... we just need to get one of those mini cameras down there to see exact direction.