Quantcast
Deadly Overpass Collapse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Deadly Overpass Collapse

My Ride
    2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2 V6

Default Deadly Overpass Collapse

This is unbelievable. Why did they simply not close down the bridge after several ppl reported seeing falling debris? I feel for those ppl that died...RIP
    Wonder which bridge in Calgary has the same potential?

At least four people were killed when a highway overpass collapsed in Laval, north of Montreal, sending tonnes of concrete onto two cars, police said on Sunday.

Three of the victims were in one of the cars, while a fourth was in the second vehicle.

At least four people died and six were injured after the overpass collapsed.
    (Ryan Remiorz/Canadian Press)

Crane operators recovered the wrecked cars early Sunday after crews worked for nearly 15 hours to clear tonnes of rubble.

They loaded the vehicles onto a flatbed truck and took them to a municipal garage.

Debris fell ahead of collapse

Reports say people saw chunks of concrete falling from the overpass, about one hour before it crumbled around 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Transport Quebec spokesman Mario St-Pierre told a Montreal newspaper, the Gazette, a maintenance crew was dispatched to the scene to clean up the pieces of concrete that had fallen.

"Portions of structures like this fall off all the time and most of the time that does not affect the stability of the bridge," he told the paper.

A stretch of three lanes of the viaduct, part of Boulevard de la Concorde, gave way, dropping onto Highway 19 below.

The collapse sent six vehicles and a motorcycle on the overpass plunging 15 metres. Six people in those vehicles were hurt, two critically.

Robert Hotte of Laval was driving east on Boulevard de la Concorde when his car fell to the highway below. He and his girlfriend escaped with minor injuries.

"I saw just in front of me the bridge collapsing," he told CBC News. "Then it became all dark. We managed to get out from my side window."

This is the second bridge to come down in Laval in seven years. In 2000, an overpass under construction collapsed killing one man. Inspectors are now checking all bridges in the area to make sure they are sound.
    Source
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...-collapse.html

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Calgary Civil Engineers > French Engineers

But it would be nice if we hear about them being reconditioned or what not.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Calgary Civil Engineers > French Engineers

You think the engineers were imported to Montreal from an unaccredited college in France?? So far, 5 Canadians have died, another few are going to be paraplegics, and all you can say is some ignorant shit about how Calgary is better than Montreal? You are retarded.

By the way, you spelt Trueno wrong too.

My Ride
    MDX

On the news they were saying that it is normal to have small chunks of concrete fall from time to time.

My Ride
    2004 Lotus Esprit

Completely unacceptable in a first world country. Disgusting. Whoever is to blame must be hung in the street.

Utter .

My Ride
    MK7 R

that is simply terrible. second bridge to come down in 7 years?!?! whoever who did their structures should definitely be held accountable

The people involved can sue the municipality or whomever is in charge of maintenance of the bridges. RIP.

Originally posted by creeper
    Completely unacceptable in a first world country. Disgusting.
    Theres bridges in europe that are like 400 yrs old! They should be able to get them right now, humans have only been building them for several thousand yrs....

My Ride
    Bicycle

Reports says the remains of the 2 crushed cars is less than 2 foot tall.

So people called in an hour before about chunks falling, and the police couldn't get out there and blockade the bridge?
    Heads must

it seems like everyone just ignored the problem until it was too late

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Originally posted by NGRPLZ.NET
    The people involved can sue the municipality or whomever is in charge of maintenance of the bridges. RIP.
    Very true, but for all the good it will do for the deceased.

My Ride
    something green

It wasnt all that long ago there were chunks falling off the stoney trail bridge...
    It will be interesting to see what comes of this one though, what caused it, could be excessive salt use which degrades concrete and rusts rebar, could be hydrocracking from freezing, could be the original concrete was just bad..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    TL

My friend (engineer) was telling some time ago that they can be held liable for poor design/construction many years down the road (forget exact wording). Would this fall into the same category?

I hope that this could have been avoided and the remaining bridges around QC have no similar deficiencies.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Oz-
    My friend (engineer) was telling some time ago that they can be held liable for poor design/construction many years down the road (forget exact wording). Would this fall into the same category?

I hope that this could have been avoided and the remaining bridges around QC have no similar deficiencies.
    If the design was faulty, the engineers would be held responsible.

It could be that the construction was faulty (materials, procedure, etc), in which case whoever supervised construction would be responsible.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Theres bridges in europe that are like 400 yrs old! They should be able to get them right now, humans have only been building them for several thousand yrs....
    Different weathering conditions, different construction conditions, loads, traffic. These are all factors in the ability of some bridges to withstand 100's of years of traffic and cause others to fall within years of construction. I'm guessing that a major cause would be the salt that is used on the roads out East. This causes premature rusting of the rebar imbedded in the concrete. Rust actually expands when it forms so can cause spalling (pieces of concrete to break off). This is typically not a problem because of the engineered safety factors in a bridge. New technology has given us coated reber, one item that might be missing from this bridge. I'm not sure when it was built but it might be a few of the problems.

RIP to those people who got caught under it.