Quantcast
Lock Nut Problems for alloy wheels - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lock Nut Problems for alloy wheels

Default Lock Nut Problems for alloy wheels

I recently was givin a car from my sister and it is a renault megane 98 rt sport,, the problem is though that the car has lock nuts on the wheels and she no longer has the key bit to take them off. I have been to the renault dealer and they told me to try hammering on a 12mm multipoint socket head over it. This was tried but didnt work.

Im not sure if this is the right place of the forum to post this but i was wonderin if any1 can help at all with the situation or knows how i should go about it

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Go buy 4 sockets that just barely fit on (preferable if you have to hit them on with a hammer), weld them to the lock nuts, and remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Default Lock Nuts

Just go to NAPA or Canadaian Tire they actually have a set of special socets that you can hammer onto the lock nuts and just unscrew them.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

^ That may not work since I doubt there aren't any NAPAs or Canadian Tires in Northern Ireland. Unless they have a Northern Irish Tire.

Blueant, there are special tools to remove these types of wheel locks. The idea is for them to grab onto the outside of the lug nut, but the only restrictions are how much clearance you have around the lug nut and amount of the lug nut sticking out for you to grab onto. I recommend that you check around online and find something that suits your situation and take a picture of it to your local tool supply store and see if they have it or at least point you to someone that can get it.
    Like Tik-tok said the other option is to have a bolt of some sort welded on. I had to go this route just a few months ago when one of my lug nuts split on me and the conventional tools as mentioned above wouldn't work because of clearance issues. Here's the remanant of the whole ordeal : just make sure that whoever welds it uses a Tig welder or at least covers up the rim to prevent splattering on your rim. (Tig welding is much cleaner)

Good luck.
    Last edited by frozenrice; 10-08-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    EK, Cbr600F4i

twist sockets should get them out.

snapon and mac both carry these

Those things u mentioned sound like they wld do the job, bu ton the site it mentions that u need an impact gun

"Simply place socket on fastener and turn with impact gun"

and from wot a can see the average price of one of these is around $400

There is also the problem that there is a puncture on one of the tires so i cant drive it to a garage without changing the tire and i cant change the tire without gettin the lock nuts off. Is there anywhere u can get a lend of one of those guns or anything?

And also would it work out cheaper to just do the welding option if it came down to it.

My Ride
    Honda

You don't need an impact gun...

Hammer on an appropriately sized 12 point socket (12mm is way too small, maybe 20mm) and just try to turn it off. If the socket slips off the lugnut, hammer it on harder and try again. Once you get one off, use a punch and hammer out the lugnut from the socket to use it on the other ones. Or just buy 4 12 point sockets. They're around $5 a piece
    It's important to find a 12 point socket that fits tight, and hammer it on as hard as you can.

Lots of garages have removal sets, but they won't lend them out.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

blueant, can you take some pictures of the lock nuts? there has to be a place that you can a replacement wrench/tool one other than the dealer. From the sounds of it, I think you have aftermarket lock nuts otherwise, the dealer would have had one if it was a factory lock. If you had a picture I'm sure somebody might know where to find one.
    Last edited by frozenrice; 10-12-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

hammering on the 12mm one has worked and i have got 2 of them off, including the one wit the tyre i needed to change so all is well so far apart from those last 2, but my dad has found a local place that says they can get those last 2 off no problem so shld all work out well.

Thnx everyone for ur help, much appreciated

My Ride
    09 Scooby

From personal experience; I had to hammer, weld and wrench (carefully) a minute larger socket to the stud. In 2002 I bought Tenzos that required that you bought their hardware due to fitment issues with an rsx...Well, for 18' rims and rubber I paid jus over 2g and thank god I knew the owner of a tire shop!!!!!!!!!! Every single stud except for 9 came off without problems. The other studs in maybe 2 hours, they charged me for 3 sockets and welding materials, 38$ish to remove the remaining hardware....I will never buy anything othere then top quality rims and hardware ever again!!!! Mike said if they chared me for labor, materials, sockets I would have paid well over 200$!!!!!!!!!!!!