Quantcast
Playstation 3 Bluetooth and Wi-fi?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Playstation 3 Bluetooth and Wi-fi??

My Ride
    g35c

Default Playstation 3 Bluetooth and Wi-fi??

I was tryin to find out some stuff on the net about the ps3, but there's too mcuh shit to sift through....

maybe someone here was bored and read about its wi-fi and bluetooth capabilities?

I was wondering if you will be able to do anything more with the bluetooth other than connect the controllers, and if the wi-fi enables you to surf the net or just to use the online gaming features??

Also, has anyone heard if the ps3 will play/read blu-ray disc recordables you burn from a computer?

I was thinkin of pickin up the blu-ray notebook sony released....but theres no point if theres gonna be compatibility issues just like when dvds came out....

Damn sony, cant live with em, cant live without em.

My Ride
    Bicycle

There's no guarantee anything blue-ray will be around next year. Or anything you burn now will be compatible everywhere since both standards are in their infancy.

If you go $$$ to blow, go ahead. But don't be crying if nothing works as you think they should.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

No clue about the wireless capability, but the controllers have built in batteries...batteries wear you = get new controler lol

as for the bluray stuff, it will prolly work, but i wouldn't invest in bluray or hddvd right now, too expensive and anyone could win. By anyone I mean hddvd will win

blu ray will win trust me on that.

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

Originally posted by brownchild
    just like beta won?
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by brownchild
    you gotta back up that claim.

My Ride
    '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Originally posted by eblend
    No clue about the wireless capability, but the controllers have built in batteries...batteries wear you = get new controler lol

as for the bluray stuff, it will prolly work, but i wouldn't invest in bluray or hddvd right now, too expensive and anyone could win. By anyone I mean hddvd will win
    Good thing about the Sony controllers, thus far you can plug them in (I don't know if that will stay in the production version, but it better!!!). Something good about Blu-Ray is that it will have at least some place in the market with the PS3 backing it. No matter how much people bitch about the price, they will buy it, therefore if Blu-Ray fails as a next-gen video storage media then it will have a place as game storage media. Not to mention it has much better backing from hollywood due to it's "better" copy protection. The PS3 might play burned BD media, however, why would you? After spending 550 or 650 on a gaming machine why risk it's lens/laser (which will cost a lot to fix, probably over $200) to play burned media. Either way, it would be a great waste of money to invest in BD or HDDVD now or anytime soon. Just wait to see what happens with this crap. Things will probably change, prices will drop, speeds will increase and bugs will be worked out. I don't see any problems with waiting

As far as Wi-Fi and bluetooth, there isn't really much information on those things because people don't really seem to care. So far, I would say that you can browse the net with Wi-Fi and the Bluetooth will be only for controllers. Keep in mind Wi-Fi will only be on the premium console, though you can add Wi-Fi to the base model it will probably come up to the same price as the premium anyways.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by crazedmodder

As far as Wi-Fi and bluetooth, there isn't really much information on those things because people don't really seem to care. So far, I would say that you can browse the net with Wi-Fi and the Bluetooth will be only for controllers.
    I've had poor results with bluetooth mice and headsets so I'm hoping that the PS3 controllers won't suffer from interimittant disconnections that seem to plague bluetooth devices.

My Ride
    g35c

I just read an article in my university paper today about a firm (NME-New Medium Enterprises) who plans on releasing a cheap solution to the hddvd/blu-ray problem....looks like a dual or quadlayer disc that will have storage space so large it will be able to fit both formats of the movie on different layers of the same disc.

I dont think this will last, but sounds like a good solution for now. Another article I read on the net said that for manufacturing companies, the difference between this disc and a regular hd dvd will be negligible and would not boost customer prices up either.

About playing burned media, the reason I asked is because I just compiled some HD home videos I had made and burned them to BD on my friends new desktop. Since they are burned, I thought there may be a problem playing them on the ps3....