Quantcast
Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians

My Ride
    W204

There was a dealership by Buffalo. Forget the name. Anyway, their stance is they cannot sell to Canandians NEW cars, only used. However (and they implicitly stated "read between the lines"), per them, Toyota, nor the dealership, actually check on the US address given to them. So now you just have to find a dealership willing to co-operate.

But like the above, you're buying a RAV4. I think these are still built in Japan, are they not? Then you're subject to ~6% duty on top of GST. Have you factored those costs in? Also, flying down there/driving down, eating, hotel costs... Those don't come cheap. For $2,000, it is almost enough to persuade me just to buy Canadian (to have km, Canadian spec, etc...). Anything more (like say $3k and up) then I'd go to US. My dad's Van, he saved about $10k (was brand new). My Subaru, I probably saved about $5-6K, but ONLY if I bought from a dealership used. If I bought from a private sale here, my savings would probably only be about $2-3k at most, but my issue was that I couldn't find my car in the specs I wanted.

If you're buying used, I'd just buy from private sale locally to avoid GST, and you'll probably come out to something close to what you'd be paying for a used RAV4 from a US dealer.

My 2 cents.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

did you factor in tax/gas/lodging/food/time?

for $2K savings... I would buy it from here, plus you'll probably get free maintenance (oil change) here.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

2K is not worth the hassle.

My Ride
    Vmax

Why are Toyota dealers here selling US and for that matter JDM stuff ?

What a bunch of bull shit . Phone around you will find one that will sell to you. I was told the dealers out of the major centers will sell to you.

Try and get a used 07 and save even more money .

Noobs: This thread is over a year old. This is no longer a problem.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

Originally posted by googe

So you are saying you dont have a job, then?
    What alex is tryin to say is, anything lost can be found again (money) except for time wasted.
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

Default Re: Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians

The reason Toyota tries to prohibit US dealers from selling to Canadians is simply a way of maintaining a significantly higher profit margin in Canada. For instance, on the average Tacoma sale, Toyota makes twice the net profit on Canadian vs. US sales.
    In addition , the dealers and salespeople make a bit more.

This pricing is a carryover from the old days of the $.70 when there was a reason for the price difference. Although all of the other manaufacturers have since adjusted their prices and don't stop US dealers from selling to Canadians, Toyota has managed to maintain the different pricing which can be nearly 25% on some vehicles.

This practice is apparently a contravention of NAFTA and is also being investigated as a discriminatory practice by some US state
    legislators.

In the meantime, we of course have the choice of not buying Toyotas however we continue to be treated like suckers unless we speak out.

Cheers

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Re: Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians

Originally posted by dwaten
    The reason Toyota tries to prohibit US dealers from selling to Canadians is simply a way of maintaining a significantly higher profit margin in Canada. For instance, on the average Tacoma sale, Toyota makes twice the net profit on Canadian vs. US sales.

This pricing is a carryover from the old days of the $.70 when there was a reason for the price difference. Although all of the other manaufacturers have since adjusted their prices and don't stop US dealers from selling to Canadians, Toyota has managed to maintain the different pricing which can be nearly 25% on some vehicles.

This practice is apparently a contravention of NAFTA and is also being investigated as a discriminatory practice by some US state
    legislators.

In the meantime, we of course have the choice of not buying Toyotas however we continue to be treated like suckers unless we speak out.

Cheers
    Last post was 3 years ago...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Re: Re: Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians

Originally posted by dwaten

legislators.

Cheers
    I'm not sure where u got all your information but it's wrong. Plain and simple it's all about buying power and taxation.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Default Re: Re: Re: Toyota USA Not Selling New Cars to Canadians

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    Noobs: This thread is over a year old. This is no longer a problem.
    Originally posted by A790

Last post was 3 years ago...
    this thread won't die. Have to give them credit for searching though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2