Quantcast
For those with engine swaps - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For those with engine swaps

if you do an engine swap and don't report it, if you ever get into an accident and they find out your coverage will be void....enjoying finding coverage having to tell insureres that you were dropped for insurance fraud.

Originally posted by hoamic11
    yeah i'm just wondering how insurance companies deal with stereo's and mods and shit, cause i haven't registar'd my car yet here, cause i haven't been here long enough

i was thinking that i would go with TD Meloche, is it pretty good place or is there somewhere better?
    I think meloche is okay? I've been with them since I was 16, no accidents, no tickets, 23, 2003 911, 2003 g35 coupe, it's either $1,200 or $1,500 per year, $1k deductible, max liability coverage (?$2M?)

For high price stereo and electronic stuff there's generally an addition they do to the policy for that type of equipement if it isn't in the basic policy. But if it's like most people who throw in a piece of shit $300 stereo, well, no point paying the premium on that.
    Last edited by 99atlantic; 10-12-2006 at 11:39 PM.

god i dont missing in alberta, SGI doesn't give one shit if your car is modified just so long as it is safe, concept eh lol.

Originally posted by thesmackdown
    god i dont missing in alberta, SGI doesn't give one shit if your car is modified just so long as it is safe, concept eh lol.
    I bet they do care if you tell them 'oh yea, I just added another 200hp'. Doesn't matter where you're insured, fact is actuaries figure out hte rates based on what the standard use; change the standard use, change the premium

The last company i was with was johnson renfrew of something, they offered a "modified vehicle" insurance. Required getting the car appraised independently, and almost ridiculous rates. Depending on whats done to your car though, probably worth it. Otherwise, say your driving a supercharged mustang, get into an accident, gotta run out into the road with a wrench and pull out the s/c before the cops come!

Good luck, if nascar pit crews can do it in 13 seconds, maybe 5 minutes is all itll take you!

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by dudeman

Good luck, if nascar pit crews can do it in 13 seconds, maybe 5 minutes is all itll take you!
    13 seconds for a S/C? you are kidding right??

And good luck trying to explain yourself when they arrive and see you with a whole bunch of internal parts.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

hahahaha, yeah that be the best situation

well i guess this stuff, who would you go to for OOP inspections for cars that are modded and what is ok here? like is it ok not still not have a cat, or will i not pass inspection w/o one?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

The last company i was with was johnson renfrew of something, they offered a "modified vehicle" insurance. Required getting the car appraised independently, and almost ridiculous rates.
    thank god. i was beginning to doubt my new project. at least i know i can insure it now.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

thank god. i was beginning to doubt my new project. at least i know i can insure it now.
    I'm pretty sure melonche monnex offers appraisal insurance too/

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ i got a regular quote for my car insurance online at melonche and it was quite expensive.. . i would hate to see what a modified insurance qoute would look like.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

anyone who claims that their insurance company 'doesn't care' about engine swaps or other mods is delusional.

don't get your broker's word for it as their word means nothing when you're dealing with the insurance company.

even if you call up your insurance company and speak with a customer server rep about it, i'm willing to bet that they aren't very knowledable about these things. ask to be transfered to the claims dept or to speak with someone adjuster or someone in the underwriting dept. if you can get them to send you something in writing that they will cover an aftermarket turbo kit or a performance engine swap, i'll buy you a beer.
    Tim

My Ride
    TSX

The only company that i am aware of that is willing to accept applicants with aftermarket turbo, supercharger, performance engine swaps etc.. is called "Facility Association". The only servicing carriers of "Facility Association" in Western Canada is The co-operators, Nordic Insurance & Royal and SunAlliance. The brokerage i work for uses Nordic Insurance but trust me, anyone who uses Facility will be raped up the ass for insurance but it's still worth it rather then paying for premiums and finding out your policy is void when you have an accident because you didn't tell your insurance company about it.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by TimG

don't get your broker's word for it as their word means nothing when you're dealing with the insurance company.

even if you call up your insurance company and speak with a customer server rep about it, i'm willing to bet that they aren't very knowledable about these things. ask to be transfered to the claims dept or to speak with someone adjuster or someone in the underwriting dept.
    definitely listen to this him! you want to speak to an underwriter yourself about these issues, not a broker. even though i'm a broker myself haha they are more knowledgeable about the companys policys then the broker

My Ride
    fg2

i think you just have to live with the fact that you cant claim your swapped jdm engine to get more money if your car is stolen. its a risk you take for having a swapped car.

as for them denying coverage for a swap, how many insurance companies really know what engine came in an 89 civic? if the motor says honda on it, my guess is they are going to assume its stock, and even if they figure out its not, how are they supposed to prove i knew about it?

"no mr insurance guy i didnt modifiy my car, when i bought it this is how it was, i just assumed thats the engine that came in the car, how should i know?"

unless theres something in my insurance policy which says im required to know the mechanics of my car and which parts are stock and which arent, but i doubt it.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Originally posted by Speed_69
    The only company that i am aware of that is willing to accept applicants with aftermarket turbo, supercharger, performance engine swaps etc.. is called "Facility Association". The only servicing carriers of "Facility Association" in Western Canada is The co-operators, Nordic Insurance & Royal and SunAlliance. The brokerage i work for uses Nordic Insurance but trust me, anyone who uses Facility will be raped up the ass for insurance but it's still worth it rather then paying for premiums and finding out your policy is void when you have an accident because you didn't tell your insurance company about it.
    Exactly. Facility insures all of the high risk people that nobody else wants to touch like people who have had their liscence suspended for DUI or other infractions.

And pleading ignorance won't work. Read the fine print on the forms that you signed your name to when you got your policy.

Insurance companies base their premiums on risk. Obviously the risk is not the same in a 90hp econobox vs. that same econobox with a 300 hp turbo engine.

There was a guy in Ontario just outside of Ottawa who had a WRX and the only mod that he had on it was a roll cage because he did rally racing. the engine and suspension were completely stock. to make a long story short, he clipped a deer one day and tried to make a claim for a new headlight and some body work on the front bumper and fender. The appraiser saw the roll cage and denied his claim. 1 week later he got a letter from his insurance company (State Farm) saying that they were dropping his insurance policy in 10 days because he breached his contract with them.

you're gambling either way.
    Tim

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Originally posted by Hash_man

I'm pretty sure melonche monnex offers appraisal insurance too/
    Yup, they sure do. I'm pretty sure they will insure just about ANYTHING. They insure my car, and it's imported from Japan.

They wanted to know if it had a turbo. "Yeah, it has a couple"

BTW, my insurance is pretty cheap through Meloche Monnex. As long as the vehicle appraisal is up to date with pictures, and modifications, they should insure it no problem.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Yup, they sure do. I'm pretty sure they will insure just about ANYTHING. They insure my car, and it's imported from Japan.

They wanted to know if it had a turbo. "Yeah, it has a couple"

BTW, my insurance is pretty cheap through Meloche Monnex. As long as the vehicle appraisal is up to date with pictures, and modifications, they should insure it no problem.
    they didn't really increase your insurance for what you have?

well i'm gonn have to start looking into that and seeing how much it'll cost me

My Ride
    BOOSTED

thats why u always go one way insurance coverage

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

EG_Civic
    thats why u always go one way insurance coverage
    how's that work?

do you wanna explain/tell me what one way insurance is, thx

My Ride
    sr20det

i just got a sr20 240 2 days ago..i had to lie because they