Quantcast
Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE

My Ride
    '06 Vibe

Default Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE

I am posting this for my fiancee. Her and our 4 month old Siberian Husky were attacked last night by an off leash German Shephard while out for a walk. A bylaw officer is supposed to come by today to get a statement. I feel bad for not being there when this was happening. I would have beat the living $hit out of that dog for what it has done. I certainly hope that this dog gets put down and the owners charged and that they cover our vet expenses. So please be responsible and not a ****ing jackass.

DOG ATTACK
    INVERNESS POND
    On 12 October 2006 (Thursday) at approximately 8pm. I took my 4 month old puppy to Inverness Pond as I do most evenings to walk and jog. About halfway around the pond I saw two dogs (German Shepard and Lab) in the distance that WERE NOT LEASHED. As I got closer to the dogs that were quiet a distance from the individuals responsible for them, the Shepard attacked my puppy. Caught in the middle and trying to free my puppy that was being continuously bitten, I fell and also received bites to my hand. My puppy spent the night at the animal hospital and was treated for a serious puncture/bite and must be treated for several days.

I am telling my story to URGE ALL DOG OWNERS IN MACKENZIE TOWNE TO BE RESPONSIBLE AND KEEP YOUR DOG(S) ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES. (SEE BYLAW # 23M 2006 – RESPECTING THE REGULATION, LICENCING AND CONTROL OF ANIMALS IN THE CITY OF CALGARY) I CONSTANTLY SEE UNLEASHED DOGS IN THIS AREA. IT IS EXTREMELY UNSAFE. IF YOU WANT YOUR DOG TO RUN FREELY TAKE IT TO A DESIGNATED OFF LEASH AREA. IF YOU SEE AN UNLEASHED DOG - REPORT IT.

WOW WTF?! I was riding my bike around there just before 8pm last night. I wish I would have been there to help out!

Default Re: Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE

Originally posted by shane_c
    trying to free my puppy that was being continuously bitten
    Damn that would suck... except i would concentrate on kicking the living shit out of the dog... let's face it animals don't work well when you run/defend it just hightens there predator-prey instincts when you run etc.

Wish i was there woulda kicked the crap out of that dog until it smartened up.

That really sucks. My wife and I were riding our bikes around the pond too. I wish I could have helped. Did the owners do anything?

... on that note

PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS.

There are TONS of offenders in McTowne. I intentionally leave a bundle of flyers on my porch so that when I see owners letting their dogs crap on my lawn I have an excuse to turn on the porchlight, go outside and make eye contact with them.

Default Re: Re: Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE

Originally posted by cmodem

Wish i was there woulda kicked the crap out of that dog until it smartened up.

I would not hesitate to try and kill a dog that was attacking me.

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

I don't even trust the legal offleash areas, all those big dogs that aren't trained properly, by no means is it the dogs fault, its the owners for not being responsible, for not training it, for not keeping it on a leash, as well as I do not trust German Shepards, they make great police dogs, but all the ones I have known that were pets have been violent, worse anger threshold then Pitbulls.

Default Re: Re: Re: Dog Attack - BE RESPONSIBLE

Originally posted by sputnik

I would not hesitate to try and kill a dog that was attacking me.
    Indeed

Most people run from dogs and get attacked, instead just stand your ground and lay your boot into their face. Yes a dog bite will hurt but if you're brave enough to cram your fist down its throat it cant bite down, and makes it very easy to dislocate its jaw. Im not saying this as a way to hurt animals as ive owned 6 dogs my entire life and i LOVE dogs and im one of the few people who think pit bulls are beautiful animals (and so damn cute AND friendly!) but if a dog went after my dog i would lay into it until it was probably dead (my dog now is a 7 month old miniature pinscher so it couldnt do much do defend itself lol)

or at the very least, let my german shepard/collie cross go at it. Smaller dog (very wirey, but VERY muscular) and it pinned a great dane, never been so scared of MY own dog before haha especially since my min pin scares HER lol

edit: but if you NEED to intervene between dogs fighting i recommend just kicking the other dog, dont get your hands in there to try and part them, chances are both dogs will start using your fingers as chew toys.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    F35

why didnt you kill the dog? i wouldve killed it

Looks like your fiancee wrote to the Herald about this attack and it's in page A15 today.

If you're up against a dog and there's no way of preventing the attack, you got 2 options:

1) Try to get your hand in its mouth, grab its tongue and shove it down its throat. Keep on pushing down regardless of how its biting until it swallows its own tongue.

2) Try to let it bite you in non critical spot, preferably in the forearm of your weaker arm (obvoiusly having a thick jacket helps in this situation). Get the palm of your other hand (your stronger hand) by its ears so you have grip and then sink your thumb as deep into its eye socket as you swing your arm forward while holding onto the side of its head with your plam, and as quickly as you can. That way you have the whole force of your arm's motion being transfered to your thumb and into the dog's eye. The sudden pain to the dog will cause it to let go and run off, but it's hard to do as after the dog gets hold of something it will be shaking as it trys to tear.

If you feel there's a chace the dog won't attack but just a threat, do not make eye contact, as that is confrontational. If you look straight down at the ground that shows submission, and that can be a good idea if you are in the dog's area (ex: back yard of the dog's owner), but in the open it could lead the dog to be more aggressive. Use a commanding, loud tone and say typical stop words like "DOWN," "STOP," etc. Good idea not to yell...

If a dog bites down on you DO NOT TRY TO PULL YOUR ARM/LIMB AWAY. Go for the throat, tongue, or eyes. Pulling away will tear your flesh, as the grip of a dog's bite is way stronger than that of your skin/flesh. If you let it bite you will walk away with only puncture wounds.

I'm a dog owner as well... if another dog attacked my dog I would do no less than try to kill it.
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 10-18-2006 at 09:19 AM.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I feel very sorry for you and your dog that is a terrible thing that happened.

I can feel for you as my dog has been attacked on serveral times by other dogs. Nothing as bad as what this was but it is very scary none the less.

I am torn on the off leash issue. My dog is off leash a lot but i am very respectful of other people and dogs and always put him on leash or control him around people and dogs i dont know. But there are lots of people that dont and i can see how this is a problem from first hand exprience.

Kyle

screw that! put the owner down.

the dog doesnt deserve that.

all owners should know the behaviour of their own pet.

My Ride
    TL

About 4 years ago, I was in Chile for business and went to meet some of my family. Cousin and I were walking to another family members home and met up with a pack of stray dogs. The leader came up to us and tried to bite my cousin in the ankle, if we submitted I am sure that the rest of the dogs would have attacked us.

The dog got a piece of his jean leg, then he got about 35000 kicks in the face. We didn't end up killing the dog, but the rest of the dog pack backed away and let us keep walking. It was surreal and would never have believed this if it didn't happen to me.

My Ride
    09 GMC Sierra SLT

Wow! That sucks bro! I am glad to hear that your puppy and your fiance are ok!

Owners should be 100% responsible for the control of their animals. It is so stupid to let the dog off the leash like that.

A similar incident happend to my family dog when I was in Fort McMurray. Someone had let their Rotwieller (incorrect spelling??) off the leash and my Dad was out walking our dog. This dog came after my family dog and she took off running pulling the leash right out of my Dad's hand. They ended up back at my parents place and all I could hear was this horrible yelping sound. I looked out the window to see this other dog with its jaw around the neck of my family dog. I flew out the door, baseball bat in hand. This other dog let go and took off before I could get to it. Thankfully my family dog was not hurt badly (a couple of minor cuts).

Then the owner has the balls to come by later and say that we should control our dog, and that our dog prevoked his dog!! My Dad told him he better leave before I go grab the baseball bat again and take the beating that the dog deserved out on the owner.

Needless to say he left in a slew of profanity's from us.

On another side note.....shane_c.....how are you enjoying the Vibe??

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

sorry to hear man hope your future wife and puppy are ok..... and i agree that the owner should be charged in a situation like this...

hope all goes well
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

My Ride
    '06 Vibe

Originally posted by l8braker
    Looks like your fiancee wrote to the Herald about this attack and it's in page A15 today.
    Yes that was her. The dog was back to the vet last night to get checked out. The vet is pleased with how it is healing but she's just not the same puppy she was before this. On the walk back from the vet with the dog my fiancee came across 2 more unleashed dogs and became quite nervous. We'll be contacting the other party shortly to tell them what the vet bills amount to (somewhere around $600+) and see what the have to say about that.

My Ride
    09 GMC Sierra SLT

My family dog is the same way in that she is scared of other dogs too. I would be as well after being attacked if I was a dog.

But again I am really glad to hear that your puppy is doing well.

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

Hope your dog recovers fast.

Damn ppl not securing their dogs. I had to run when my neighbour's fucking HUGE ass dog was in my backyard! But it was one of those dogs that get picked on by little cats lol

For once in my life I love cats b/c a cat attacked the dog and it ran away so I could run away LOL

guys guys guys...being a cat person and having dated a girl who was very good at training dogs...she told me that if your ever attacked by a dog, doesnt matter what kind...just grab both their front legs and rip apart...it breaks their ribcage or something and they die instantly

My Ride
    Blazaah

We had a pit bull attack one of our dobermans got her right in the neck ...... while I was out walking her was just about to head back inside when the dog comes outta no where and just latches right onto her neck, my dad came running out and just was beatin the shit outta this dog but it wouldnt let go, he ended up takin a baseball bat to the dog and it eventually let go. All the owner of the dog could say was oh my poor dog.....why'd you hit my dog.