Quantcast
The Future of Oil Prices - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Oil Prices

My Ride
    HCR32

Default The Future of Oil Prices

Hey,

Was talking about this today. Some late events in August have caused oil prices to drop to around $60 a barrel, it's nice for all of us at the pumps for $0.80-$0.90 a Litre and it seems that we are going to be enjoying this all to well before our consumption rate increases at even a greater rate that its at now resulting maybe in a very high inflation of crude oil we might not be use to.

But considering the rate we're going at excluding the possibility of a major natural disaster, further N.Korea tensions, etc. My question is where do you guys see the price of oil a couple years from now?? (i.e. 2-3 yrs). Some guys I talked to about this about, all had different opinions.

Discuss.

Also,
    Oil prices began to decrease at the end of the summer of 2006, closing below $66/barrel on September 11.[2] The national average gas price dropped to $2.70/gallon in early September, down $0.11 from the previous week. Some cities were seeing average prices below $2.40/gallon.[3]

As of September, prices continue to fall, and the average cost of gasoline per gallon (nationwide) is below $2.50. On September 19th, crude oil fell $2.14 to a 6-month low of $61.66. The recent significant fall in the price of crude oil has led some to speculate that price of gasoline may fall to as low as $1.15/gallon[4] By October 3, the price closed at $58.68, its lowest close since mid-February. [5] Reasons for the recent price decreases have included easing tensions with Iran, ample supply and the lack of hurricane activity in oil-producing regions of the Gulf of Mexico.

After news of North Korea's successful nuclear test on October 9, 2006, oil prices rose past $60 a barrel, but fell back the next day. Also, for several days in early October, oil prices bounced around the $60 mark on possible news that some OPEC countries would cut oil production by 1,000,000 barrels a day. OPEC had not cut its production since December 2004. However, the oil market has lately seemed to shrug that news off, especially considering that Saudi Arabia said that no such agreement exists (to cut production).

On October 11th, oil prices fell below $58 for the first time since February.

-taken from Wikipedia

My Ride
    MB C63

could go up or down it all depends on how we use it for the next 2-3 years

think of how fast it went up and look at how fast it came down almost $20 dollars. Its too unpredictable specially since the whole world is pretty much relying on it. Any one major event could drastically change the price of it.

My Ride
    HCR32

I think the biggest problem the world sees is the drastic development of China happening right now. 5-10 years from now I don't think sustaining that kind of demand from the East would be possible.

personally i think we could see $30 oil again but i think one of the biggest factors is what OPEC decides to do...

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Oil prices are somewhat related to prices at the pump but a lot of times they're still independent of each other. One could be going up while the other goes down.

I personally hope oil dives. The stress of this city growing at this rate is ridiculous. High house prices and traffic and a strained health care system is just brutal. I'm semi-glad that I'm not a homeowner whose property taxes have skyrocketed because of this boom.

My Ride
    Bicycle

We'll run out of oil like we predicted we'll run out of coal in the 19th century.

Something better will come along as more discoveries made on energies and replaces oil before it runs out.

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

Originally posted by Xtrema
    We'll run out of oil like we predicted we'll run out of coal in the 19th century.

Something better will come along as more discoveries made on energies and replaces oil before it runs out.
    umm...we still have coal...even in AB

oil and gas will always go up and down...it'll regain strength or at least be stable one opec figures their shit out and it starts getting colder (gas price)

and once the US bombs the shat out of every middle eastern country we will have a lot in AB to sell off

ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Tha VZA

umm...we still have coal...even in AB
    Exactly. The "we're running out" is just scare tactic to raise the price. Like in the 70's they predicted we'll run out of oil by 1996. But in the end, another 1000 billion barrels are discovered and we use less than predicted.

My Ride
    09 GMC Sierra SLT

Oil will continually fluctuate.....and we might even see a dive in the prices like in the 80's. Doubtful that will happen again...but you just never know.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by DoubleLP
    Oil will continually fluctuate.....and we might even see a dive in the prices like in the 80's. Doubtful that will happen again...but you just never know.
    It's quite easy.

All they have to do is run on ethanol.

1) Brazil has no dependence as goverment mandate all vehicles to run on ethanol

2) Honda already has process to generate ethanol from bio wastes.

3) E85 is gaining steam in the mid west states.

Advancement in solar energy and hybrid will continue to reduce use of fossil fuel. And the minute someone figure out how nuclear fission works, nobody will need oil and natural gas and Alberta is screwed.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

No one can predict it accuratelly. My guess is $40-75 range over the next year.

I would be willing to bet that oil hits $80 before it hits $40.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Originally posted by sputnik
    I would be willing to bet that oil hits $80 before it hits $40.

It will hit $100 before it hits $40

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Calgary Herald > News> Calgary Business

Oil price forecast to fall to $45 a barrel by 2010

Federal forecast sees oilsands output soaring

Oil prices, which hit a 14-month low of less than $60 US a barrel this week, will sink a lot lower over the next four years, according to new Canadian government projections which see prices falling to $45 US a barrel by the end of the decade.

It's quite easy.

All they have to do is run on ethanol.

1) Brazil has no dependence as goverment mandate all vehicles to run on ethanol

2) Honda already has process to generate ethanol from bio wastes.

3) E85 is gaining steam in the mid west states.

Advancement in solar energy and hybrid will continue to reduce use of fossil fuel. And the minute someone figure out how nuclear fission works, nobody will need oil and natural gas and Alberta is screwed.
    nice quote.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

OPEC will not cut productions enough to drive up prices to $70 again.... and will see oil at $40/barrel in the next decade. Production from the oil sands will be cut down and companies will pull halt new projects as production costs outweigh their initial feasability projections.
    Last edited by Rav4Guy; 10-18-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

I totally agree with RAV4GUY the output of oil sands cannot soar because of the one main fact that the cost to maintain the oil sands is to much money. the cost for the older projects in the oil sands are around $50 a barrel and just think how much the new projects will be. If you acutally look at most companies that invested large amounts of money in the oil sands have put a stop to most of there large projects mainly because the Cost is way to high. So lets hope oil prices stay high so the rest of the city will keep on making money.

My Ride

Opec will not let oil get to 30$ a bbl again, and oilsands aren't making much money at 30$, if any with the recent skyrocking costs of doing business. I remember when that ball first got really rolling that 18$ was the breakeven point. It's probably closer to 30 now.

Chinese demand is not anything new or unexpected, their sitting on an easily extrapolatable curve of energy consumption has mostly been predicted.

If anything, the whole DPRK thing is a calming effect on the price of oil, as it's forced China to kind of distance themselves from N.Korea whereas before, it was kind of up in the air as to where they'd stand. Now it's pretty clear that no one is backing them up.
    Last edited by Crymson; 10-18-2006 at 08:39 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Exactly. The "we're running out" is just scare tactic to raise the price. Like in the 70's they predicted we'll run out of oil by 1996. But in the end, another 1000 billion barrels are discovered and we use less than predicted.
    Funny that you mentioned this, Pengrowth is looking at expanding their coal research and using it as a primary source for energy sometime in the near future.

I have to agree with a lot of people above in that, the world is very dependent on oil, therefore any major worldwide event alters prices. It's hard to gauge but realistically, I agree that it will hit $100/barrel before it sinks down to $40.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast