Quantcast
smoking ban in place as of 01/01/07 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: smoking ban in place as of 01/01/07

My Ride
    2008 Jetta 2.0TFSI

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

All you smokers fear not, PRIVATE clubs will still be allowed to smoke (even after 2008). I've got $50 that says damn near every club in the city will become private in a matter of months. Membership Fee? Why $5 at the door for one night only! (sounds kind of like a replacement to the "cover" charge doesn't it?)

What about pubs you ask? They don't charge cover, and it would hurt their business if they did! Don't worry! Loop holes have you covered there too! Membership fee for a small pub, $1 lifetime membership comes complete with a pub business card with with your handwritten name on the back! Those innocents who enter the pub and complain about the smoke... well they aren't members, now are they, and will be promptly told it's a private club, and they can join or get the fuck out.

That being said, I'm a non-smoker, I LOATH smoke, I wish it were outlawed altogether. I get very pissed off at how much of MY tax money is going to treat the cancer YOU voluntarily choose to get, and I get outright mad at the amount of tax money that goes to you fucktards that throw your butts out the window and start fires.

But this law is going nowhere fast, too many loopholes for the city's halfhearted attempt at keeping it healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea there's a loophole for it, in Ontario some pubs did the same thing, private club etc. and they just get daily $3000 fines. It takes about 8 months before they can defend themselves in court, by that time they're at over $700k worth of fines. If they win, then it's great for the owner, but if they lose 8 months later, they'll have to declare bankrupcy to pay that $700k worth of fines over 8 months. Nobody is willing to take that risk, so thus they have to give in and give up.

So basically, it's being forced down businesses' throats, with no easy way to fight it because the private club loophole is very vague.

Now, if everything switches to a private club and the city doesn't go after these establishments here, I'll be happy.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

D

I Have noticed alot of my friends plan to quit after it goes into effect.. which is a good thing!

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Calgary is finally catching up to the rest of Canada! I know that BC and Ontario have both banned smoking in bars and shit for awhile, plus I'm sure there are other places too.
    I just returned from 4 years in Ontario and I can tell you that, although smoking is banned indoors, most of the clubs let you smoke inside and there is very little enforcement.

I've seen bouncers smoke in clubs countless times in Toronto. I'm sure that will happen here as well if they don't enforce it.

My Ride
    NC1

There's nothing more annoying than sitting in a small restaurant trying to eat dinner and having a guy next to year hold up his cig in the air. Mind you I was fully aware that it was a smoking establishment but still haha

I don't smoke so I have no problems with this bylaw as it doesn't affect me or my business
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Originally posted by Cruz

I just returned from 4 years in Ontario and I can tell you that, although smoking is banned indoors, most of the clubs let you smoke inside and there is very little enforcement.

I've seen bouncers smoke in clubs countless times in Toronto. I'm sure that will happen here as well if they don't enforce it.
    Thats odd.... I am living in Ontario and the restaurants, bars and nightclubs anywhere from Windsor to London to Kitchener and Toronto do not allow smoking indoors nor do they condone it. Their are reams of enforcement officers, the fines for the individual and establishment are steep and the owners don't want to be nailed for letting either patrons or employees smoke.

Initially some establishments openly allowed smoking but it quickly became apparent the smoking laws were being enforced. Nobody here bitches about it anymore. I travel fairly extensively through the province and end up out with clients and suppliers in restaurants and clubs and havn't seen anyone smoke in a club without being told to put it out or leave for quite a long time now.

The clubs here have mostly built outdoor patios for smoker, if not people just step outside for a few minutes.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

The same thing happened in Ottawa when i was living there. a few places openly went against the bylaws, but then got back in line once they had a few fines. The last I heard their business was doing just fine.
    Tim

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

about time

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

but the thing is are clubs gonna let everybody back in if they just "
    step outside for a smoke"? and about the outdoor patios we cant smoke on patios so that wont work...............................
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

From today's Sun about the loophole:

Bill Bruce, the city's bylaw chief, said the rules surrounding private clubs are clear and multi-faceted, requiring the facility to have a charter, a set of bylaws, a board of directors and, in many cases, becoming a non-profit entity.

"It sounds like a cute idea, but it's not realistic -- you can't just put up a sign saying you're a private club," Bruce said.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha so they wrote those laws in just to curb that?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

looks like lol thats shitty meh quiting anyways
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

they did this in Ireland a few years back, didnt hurt the pubs or restaurants at all, as was stated in previous posts, people go to these places to eat and drink not to smoke.

Originally posted by nadroj23
    but the thing is are clubs gonna let everybody back in if they just "
    step outside for a smoke"? and about the outdoor patios we cant smoke on patios so that wont work...............................
    it will probably be like a "designated smoking area" outside a door that is fenced off and monitored. They do this at mac hall for concerts
    Last edited by chris; 10-19-2006 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by eljefe

Thats odd.... I am living in Ontario and the restaurants, bars and nightclubs anywhere from Windsor to London to Kitchener and Toronto do not allow smoking indoors nor do they condone it. Their are reams of enforcement officers, the fines for the individual and establishment are steep and the owners don't want to be nailed for letting either patrons or employees smoke.

Initially some establishments openly allowed smoking but it quickly became apparent the smoking laws were being enforced. Nobody here bitches about it anymore. I travel fairly extensively through the province and end up out with clients and suppliers in restaurants and clubs and havn't seen anyone smoke in a club without being told to put it out or leave for quite a long time now.

The clubs here have mostly built outdoor patios for smoker, if not people just step outside for a few minutes.
    The Guv, Lot 332, and Lucid in Toronto all allow smoking inside. They may not condone it, but they definitely allow it. I've seen bouncers smoke several times in each location.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

this is great news, they did this in BC where I'm from a few years ago, and everyone complained and said it was going to force businesses to shut down..

didn't happen, some places built designated smoking rooms, others didn't, the bars are still as full as they have ever been.

as a non-smoker, it's kinda bothersome to breakup the flow of the conversation so that somebody can step out for a cigarette, but it's something I'm willing to live with so I don't have to come home reeking like cigarettes every night.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    All you smokers fear not, PRIVATE clubs will still be allowed to smoke (even after 2008). I've got $50 that says damn near every club in the city will become private in a matter of months. Membership Fee? Why $5 at the door for one night only! (sounds kind of like a replacement to the "cover" charge doesn't it?)

What about pubs you ask? They don't charge cover, and it would hurt their business if they did! Don't worry! Loop holes have you covered there too! Membership fee for a small pub, $1 lifetime membership comes complete with a pub business card with with your handwritten name on the back! Those innocents who enter the pub and complain about the smoke... well they aren't members, now are they, and will be promptly told it's a private club, and they can join or get the fuck out.

That being said, I'm a non-smoker, I LOATH smoke, I wish it were outlawed altogether. I get very pissed off at how much of MY tax money is going to treat the cancer YOU voluntarily choose to get, and I get outright mad at the amount of tax money that goes to you fucktards that throw your butts out the window and start fires.

But this law is going nowhere fast, too many loopholes for the city's halfhearted attempt at keeping it healthy.
    getting rid of smoking would cost you more of your tax dollars.

Originally posted by worm

So let me get this straight. You don't want us smoking indoors because it make you stink and it's bad for your health? OK I'll give you that one, but if the smokers are out on the patio than you should just stay the hell indoors where you won't smell bad, and you can live your healthy life. but according to you you have to be with the smokers out on the patio, not really sure why, maybe smokers are more fun than non smokers????

You can have your healthy life style, but unlike you at least I'll know whats killing me later in life.
    You sir, are pretty much the Beyond.ca leader of idiots. People go onto patios to be in the sun or enjoy the fresh air, NOT to hang out with you and your stank-ass ashtray breath. Keep smoking, and while you're at it do a couple of rails for the cool kids.

My Ride
    '05 Dinan M3

Sweet no more smelling like an ashtray after a night out.
    ProjectTechnik

Originally posted by rage2

So are you saying it's ok for our governments to make cellphones illegal in the future?
    No, just the ringtones.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast