Quantcast
New Years in New York (Times Square) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Years in New York (Times Square)

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Default New Years in New York (Times Square)

So heading down to see good old Dick Clark drop the ball in times square. Anyone done this before? Don't really know how early to get there and what to bring. I will be bringing a carry-on that will only contain my winter jacket and turtlenecks since I assume I would have to be in times square at least by 6pm.
    As for activities, normally I head out to Atlantic City or Philly, but was thinking about taking in a broadway act...any recommendations? I had tix to the knicks at MSG on the 27th but can't leave work cuz of stupid clients insisting to meet till Dec. 29 Might try to trade for Devils tix. Any winter time activities ideas and fine dining venues that the lady would like? talk shows?

thnx

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    E90 335i

My buddy lived in NYC and said the TImes Square New YEars thing is not that great. Although if you've never been before it'd be cool. Just be prepared to be surrounded by 1 million people, literally!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My sister and brother in law went last year. Here's the deal.

- Once you enter Times Square you CANNOT leave until the ball drops.

- There are no washrooms in the compound (people we pissing in bottles and on the street). Dehydration is a good option (especially for women). There arent any back alleys to use for cover either.

- No backpacks or bags are allowed. Small purses and shopping bags are ok but are searched by police.

- There is no where to buy food. If you want to eat you have to bring your own.

- People who want to be near "the front" are there at 8am.

- My sister was there at around 6pm and she didnt see much. She could see the ball drop but not the stages or anything.

- You will be corraled in the same section the entire time. Each pen covers a city block and has about 400 people in them. So squeezing to the front is not an option.

- My sister said it was fun meeting people from all over the world, but over hyped.
    Last edited by sputnik; 10-19-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Here is what my sister was able to see from her spot. Also note the many people wearing toques and parkas. Most of these people were also freezing since they had been outside standing in one area for over 6 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a shot at midnight. The ball is barely visible from here but it is actually the bright spot near the bottom in the middle of the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by B17a
    My buddy lived in NYC and said the TImes Square New YEars thing is not that great. Although if you've never been before it'd be cool. Just be prepared to be surrounded by 1 million people, literally!
    I've been to NY a few times this year. The times square thing is international hype as the place to be at new years and I wanna do it as one of those gotta-try-once-in-your-lifetime things.

Originally posted by sputnik
    Thanks for all the info. I think I will go just to check out the ambience, hear a million people screaming, control my bladder for 6+ hours. I'm sure I will be fine, just worried about the girlie. How was your sis after six hours? complaining....or ready to party the night away (after a bathroom break, of course) I'm trying to find events happening after cuz we have an apartment in NY for the night.

Still trying to get tix for Daily show, Letterman, or Conan.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Originally posted by Godfuader
    Thanks for all the info. I think I will go just to check out the ambience, hear a million people screaming, control my bladder for 6+ hours. I'm sure I will be fine, just worried about the girlie. How was your sis after six hours? complaining....or ready to party the night away (after a bathroom break, of course) I'm trying to find events happening after cuz we have an apartment in NY for the night.
    My sister was fine. She knew what the deal was... so she just didnt drink anything all day and she was fine.

Just a heads up on Letterman tickets. If you get selected for tickets you have to answer trivia questions to "win" them.

Usually they are pretty easy to win if you watch the show regularily, otherwise you may be SOL.

My Ride
    '09 STi

See if you have any bussiness contacts that have offices w/ top floors, you may be able to get a better view with the luxury of washroom facilities and booze, etc.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by hussein
    See if you have any bussiness contacts that have offices w/ top floors, you may be able to get a better view with the luxury of washroom facilities and booze, etc.
    Not a bad idea, gotta think of who has offices around that area. But then you dont get the rain of conffetti, smelly tourists, and the opportunity to get stabbed...which is the true NY effect.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Just a heads up on Letterman tickets. If you get selected for tickets you have to answer trivia questions to "win" them.

Usually they are pretty easy to win if you watch the show regularily, otherwise you may be SOL.
    Thats . I haven't watched that show in like half a decade. Just know the band guy is Paul Shaffer (sp?), and are the other side shows like Rupert and Mujibar still around? Leno show had no trivia questions. Daily show would still be first choice.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Going NY is awesome!

well .. nothign special there .. but .. SHOPPING SHOPPING SHOPPING ..

Cheapest place in the world to buy Camera & gears, also cheapest place to buy designer brand( Burberry etc ) ..

Just buy 1 handbag .. already save your air ticket!
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Neh i rather fly to Vegas for new year ^_^

My sister and brother in law went last year. Here's the deal...
    Thanks for sharing. This is what's never revealed on TV.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 04:58 AM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    The Times Square New Year's thing sounds like a PITA.
    It sure does. Anyone I ask who has done it say that they wouldn't do it again...but they don't regret doing it the one time to experience this "world-famous" event. We are still thinking of what we are going to do for 6+ hrs. Might just bring the PSP and watch a few movies.