Quantcast
For those with engine swaps - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For those with engine swaps

My Ride
    TSX

Question For those with engine swaps

just out of curiosity, for those of you who have engine swaps..do you tell your insurance company about it? or no?

For those who don't tell their insurance company, i know that insurance company's can deny you coverage if anything happens because you did not disclose material facts at time of application or did not reveal crucial material change during the policy.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

step 1, find out how your insurance company feels about modifications, if they say it voids your policy, THEN you lie to them
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

i never told my insurance company..

I dont have collision so why would I?

they dont cover my car anyways.

My Ride
    Walk

Well i'd go find out for sure because I learnt a thing or two int he past week...my car got stolen and i had a B18C5 i put in this year and now I can't even claim that even if i had theft insurance.

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

I did.... they asked if it was a high performance engine.... since my engine did not have a label on it that read "HIGH PERFORMANCE", I told them it wasnt.

hehe, it really wasnt thought, it was a 92 GTI 16valve engine

Barlow is offline I was under probation for 2 years

Ummmm, I'm pretty sure if you can show valid recipts of work done and completed, and evidence that it went into the car that was stolen then you should be able to get your money for the engine regardless, although I'm sure the insurance company won't care what engine you have in it, they may throw in an extra 500-1000 dollars for the engine.

my $0.02

My Ride
    TSX

Yup, i'm a part-time insurance broker. I don't know of any insurer that will even insure you if you have an engine swap, not even third party liability. If you have an engine swapped vehicle w/ only third party liability coverage, and you are at an at-fault accident, they can still deny you coverage to the amount of $200,000 instead of $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 if they find out you didn't disclose material information that would give them reason to cancel you or even issue you a policy in the first place. And even if they pay the $200,000, they can subrogate against you after for the amount because it states that you must disclose any material changes in the policy or else they can void your policy. The only company willing to insure someone with a engine swap is called 'facility'. They have to insure anyone and third party liability coverage alone for them is $3,000+.

So that's why i'm wondering if guys tell your insurance company and how many people are risking it.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by Barlow
    Ummmm, I'm pretty sure if you can show valid recipts of work done and completed, and evidence that it went into the car that was stolen then you should be able to get your money for the engine regardless, although I'm sure the insurance company won't care what engine you have in it, they may throw in an extra 500-1000 dollars for the engine.

my $0.02
    not true, insurance rates for each vehicle are based on STOCK options, parts and engine. They want to know about the engine swap before you do it or before a claim is made, not after.

just tell them your motor blew and you're going to replace the motor. If they ask what motor just say its another stock honda motor.

Originally posted by vtec
    just tell them your motor blew and you're going to replace the motor. If they ask what motor just say its another stock honda motor.
    but if your car is involved in an accident or gets stolen..its a whole different situation when you want to be claiming the motor especially when you paid much more for it.

When I talked to a broker from TD Meloche Monnex, he also told me they cover no car with any different engine other than stock unless its notified but usually they deny those cars. Anything from lowering your vehicle, and rims are all not covered and supposedly they can deny you for any modifications at all. Only thing that is covered is up to 1500 worth of car audio equipment. He was telling me about how a Honda Prelude got into an accident and it had over $30000 put into it and they didn't cover any of his claims afterwards because he did not advise them of the modifications so he got absolutely nothing from them. Harsh but its a risk when you drive modded vehicles.

My Ride
    TSX

so just some advice, tell your insurance company about your engine swapand any modifications if you have any and be willing to pay the higher premium, at least you know you'll be covered. For those who choose not to, you're basically paying insurance premiums for no coverage, you're just going to be fcuked up the ass by your insurance company when it comes time to put in a claim and they see your vehicle.

My Ride
    EF

Have your own insurance company
    *rings up Tony "make them an offer they can't refuse"*

Sorry I just watched the Godfather

i told my insurance company about my engine mod when i had a 240sx with a sr20 its a must, beucae they can deny liability for your car

My Ride
    10 psi of potato pressure

I told my insurance about my celica with a swapped 3sgte. She asked me if the performance was noticibly greater then stock motor (130hps stock --> 300hp turbo swap) I didnt answer that question directly but told her that the engine (3sgte) does come stock in other model celicas (gt-4/alltrac) and that it had some minor modifications. she told me she would call her head office to see if they had any problems with it. called me a day later and said they didnt have any problems.

edit: btw I never actually told her how much hp i have...

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

My insurance company didnt have a problem with my engine swap as long as I didnt add a Turbo or S/C to a NA car. They also said with pictures/reciepts they would cover wheels and other mods.

Oddly they accept a "mild" engine swap but would deny me the second I "altered the ride height" I understand lifted trucks being a higher risk, but doesnt a lowered car handle better.

My Ride
    06 S2000

My insurance company knows... didn't charge more/less. Didn't really care.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Oddly they accept a "mild" engine swap but would deny me the second I "altered the ride height" I understand lifted trucks being a higher risk, but doesnt a lowered car handle better.
    Could be if you had collision that they knew that just about anything you hit your bumper would probably be lower than the other cars causing a lot more damage then normal?

And you guys whos insurance companies were fine with swaps should post what company you're with... cuz i'm sure others are curious as am I.

My Ride
    2010 WRX Limited

i used to have a civic hatch with a zc swap, i told my insurance company about it and i got the same question "Is the new engine have more horsepower then the stock one" i did the same thing and just said it came stock in older model honda crx's from japan. they didnt have an issue with it

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

yeah i'm just wondering how insurance companies deal with stereo's and mods and shit, cause i haven't registar'd my car yet here, cause i haven't been here long enough

i was thinking that i would go with TD Meloche, is it pretty good place or is there somewhere better?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast