Quantcast
AE86 help..Does anyone have any idea how to change a lock cylinder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AE86 help..Does anyone have any idea how to change a lock cylinder

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default AE86 help..Does anyone have any idea how to change a lock cylinder

I need to swap lock cylinders on my ae86...its the drivers side door and its manual lockso f course....has anyone ever changed these before. I took a look at the setup and it honestly looks impossible
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    O.P.P.

I think the lock cylinders might be held to the door by big c-clips, which you would just slide out with needlenose pliers or C-clip pliers, if you have them....Do this after you've disconnected all the linkage that's attached to the lock cyl.

My Ride

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    I think the lock cylinders might be held to the door by big c-clips, which you would just slide out with needlenose pliers or C-clip pliers, if you have them....Do this after you've disconnected all the linkage that's attached to the lock cyl.
    Dude you're a genius..it wokred like a charm..screw the needlle nose I can deal with bloody fingers for a day or so
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

hey, wtf are lock cylinders anyway? My beat ass dodge's passenger side door only opens from the inside, not the outside. Any thoughts?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    hey, wtf are lock cylinders anyway? My beat ass dodge's passenger side door only opens from the inside, not the outside. Any thoughts?
    the lock cylinder is that cylinder shaped silver thing that you stick your key into from the outside, quick fix thanks to cocoabravo, pull apart your door panel, locate lock cylinder, pull c clamp, unfasten the plastic clips that hold the cables to the cylinder, retach new cylinder, re-insert lock cylinder into door, re-insert c clamp...done

Red Deer, AB

is this only manual doors though? I've got powa on mine
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

They are for both, but the power ones are usually actuated by a small motor, may not be as easy to swap.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    SKYLINE GTR ,AE86, memories of a turbo 2000 lude

Default Re: AE86 help..Does anyone have any idea how to change a lock cylinder

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I need to swap lock cylinders on my ae86...its the drivers side door and its manual lockso f course....has anyone ever changed these before. I took a look at the setup and it honestly looks impossible
    hmmmmm seems like everybody is getting an AE86 nowadays? if you cant beat them join em and would someone knock some sense into AL please and tell him to keep the mint AE86 that he is trying to sell. AL maybe its just fate you and the AE86 were meant to be, plus who the hell are greg and i suppose to cruise with once you get rid of that badboy???
    Last edited by choweyt3t4; 05-04-2003 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

If you had asked me I would have done it for you thought you were comin down on Sat I was in there all day.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Default Re: Re: AE86 help..Does anyone have any idea how to change a lock cylinder

Originally posted by choweyt3t4

hmmmmm seems like everybody is getting an AE86 nowadays? if you cant beat them join em and would someone knock some sense into AL please and tell him to keep the mint AE86 that he is trying to sell. AL maybe its just fate you and the AE86 were meant to be, plus who the hell are greg and i suppose to cruise with once you get rid of that badboy???
    Too late But I'll be joining you guys soon enough

My Ride

Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
    If you had asked me I would have done it for you thought you were comin down on Sat I was in there all day.
    Hey Cam cool to see you on here..coudlnt make it down on saturday had way to much happening, ill be down later trhis week though

Red Deer, AB