Quantcast
Would you walk on this? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you walk on this?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

This thing is being built now as someone else said. It will have a huge safety factor built into it. IIRC they are drilling deep into the rock to make sure this structure stays where it is.

My Ride
    MK7 R

Originally posted by avow
    omg do you have any idea how creepy it would be to run circles around that thing? i can barely stand on the Calgary tower glass.
    lol me too. freaks me out.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    That looks far from a sound structure...
    I'm glad your engineering expertise could figure that out by looking at the exterior of the structure. Airliner wings don't look sound to me when I see them flopping around in turbulence, but apparently they are. Go figure.

i watched a video on this, its going to be crazy strong and they want to have as little visible support as possible so it feels more "natural" rather than "OMG GIANT PILLARS!!!!" they dont want to have a man-made influence on this and want it to appear very naturalistic. Id walk on it, i think its amazing. They're taking in the strong winds over the canyon and EVERYTHING into account before construction begins.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Originally posted by bspot

I'm glad your engineering expertise could figure that out by looking at the exterior of the structure. Airliner wings don't look sound to me when I see them flopping around in turbulence, but apparently they are. Go figure.
    I'm going to bet that you'd be safer out on that thing, than sitting right where you are right now. They don't just build a glass horseshoe cantilevering over the Grand Canyon without putting some serious money into making sure it will stay they for a long, long time.

Earthquake.

My Ride
    C5 Z06, sr20 s13, 05 Cummins

Jesus people, they have engineers to design this stuff. Obviously a project as big as this they are going to make sure it doesnt collapse. It's not like Joe Schmoe just buy a hammer and nails and build something like that. Every situation will be considered and tested and then retested.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by codo
    Earthquake.

Whens the last time that there was an earthquake there?

yea this was on discover channel, its almost done being built already!

frostyda9 Guest

Originally posted by seer_claw

Whens the last time that there was an earthquake there?
    http://www4.nau.edu/geology/aeic/EQhistory.html#R

I'd walk on it

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
    i am sure they would give it a bit more support than what they have in those photo's

but still, i would try, depending on how many people were on it
    actually what you see in those photos is what you get

they dont wanna have any other support other then the t amin beams and the glasss bottom

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride

Originally posted by canadianskyline
    Jesus people, they have engineers to design this stuff.
    haha thats awesome. if you were to see what ive seen engineers pull out of thier ass and think it was plausable when designing an oil refinery, youd either think they were high on glue or were mentally retarded

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Rockski

haha thats awesome. if you were to see what ive seen engineers pull out of thier ass and think it was plausable when designing an oil refinery, youd either think they were high on glue or were mentally retarded
    You are correct but it seems to me that the standards for architectural design and drawings are way higher then they ever could be for an oil and gas firm. I recently made the switch to oil and gas from working in architecture for 5 years and its shocking to see how little thought that an electrical engineer or process engineer, or civil engineer puts into a design compared to say a structural engineer. But that's my own opinion - and in the real world anything can break, fall down,explode, etc. no matter how much thought is put into it.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Rockski

actually what you see in those photos is what you get

they dont wanna have any other support other then the t amin beams and the glasss bottom
    Like I said they are drilling deep into the rock to support the structure that way.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Aleks

Like I said they are drilling deep into the rock to support the structure that way.
    It will most likely be incorporated into the structural portion of the floor - 1/3 cantilevered out and 2/3 supported - thats the general concensus on an unsupported platform cantilever without going into too much detail.

I would walk on it. It's gotta be safe. I just wouldn't want to be the first person to go on...just to make sure that the constuction workers didn't take any shortcuts

My Ride

Originally posted by Aleks

yea i understand that, i was re iterating the point for another person

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

You are correct but it seems to me that the standards for architectural design and drawings are way higher then they ever could be for an oil and gas firm. I recently made the switch to oil and gas from working in architecture for 5 years and its shocking to see how little thought that an electrical engineer or process engineer, or civil engineer puts into a design compared to say a structural engineer. But that's my own opinion - and in the real world anything can break, fall down,explode, etc. no matter how much thought is put into it.
    In defence of O&G, there's a big difference between structural/architectural design and process/electrical design.

Mainly, entire families of tourists won't plummet to their deaths if you design a compressor station wrong.

My Ride
    cb7

looks good to me!! The feeling of a strong wind while you were out there might make me a bit uncomfortable, and i'm not sure it is something i wou;d use as my daily running track just yet, but i'd like to walk a lap on it .

Originally posted by canadianskyline
    Jesus people, they have engineers to design this stuff. Obviously a project as big as this they are going to make sure it doesnt collapse. It's not like Joe Schmoe just buy a hammer and nails and build something like that. Every situation will be considered and tested and then retested.
    They said the Titanic was unsinkable...
    The Tacoma Narrows Bridge, 'Many concerns had been voiced about the bridges stability, but officials were so confident of its design that they actually considered canceling the insurance policies on the bridge. At 11:02am November 7, 1940, 600 feet of the western end of the bridge twisted free, flipped over, and fell into the water.'

dont get me wrong I'd still walk on it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast